You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Whats more reliable firewire or usb

Whats more reliable firewire or usb

I normally use firewire for 32 ch recordings but now I want to monitor trough a focusrite sapphire 24 DSP with VRM
    And that is firewire only with no firewire thru

Have anyone recorded live shows using the usb on the xuf?
    According to the specs the sub 2.0 has more speed than the firewire 400

Any thoughts or experience

Thanks

No problems here with USB recording of 16+ channels to a MacBook Air with USB 3.0 ports!

I have no problems recording 24 channels via usb to Lenovo thinkpad.

Just to add to it. I did a little "experiment" at the weekend, using my netbook acer which only has USB. I enabled all 32 channels for recording (i wasnt using all 32, but rather 24ish), just to try and get my acer to dropout -- it didnt drop a single beat all night, even with x control also running in the foreground. Im astounded. Cakewalk i have trusted all my life has proved to be a big pile of rubbish for setting up and getting to work, and support has been even worse, so i tried reaper. It has now became my new best friend for live recording. So easy to setup and does exactly what it says on the tin. On another note, i use my macbook with firewire and also usb with logic, and it doesnt give me any problems whatsoever either.

Cheers

Dave

Super User
    Another convert to Reaper (Hallelujah chorus...). Glad to hear David. Also glad to hear that a netbook is adequate enough for live recording. I've been looking at them for that purpose.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul -- its an acer aspire one that i used, model 722-c62rr. It has a dual core c60 amd with turbo core, and 2 gig of ddr3 memory running win7 if thats of any help to you. It amazed me not just for the music recording, but for astronomy programs and telescope control with photoshop as well as canon software all running at the one time with no problems either -- a fantastic little machine that can easily be slipped into spare small space in a rack unit etc to "hide" it from sticky fingers lol

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Another convert to Reaper (Hallelujah chorus...). Glad to hear David. Also glad to hear that a netbook is adequate enough for live recording. I've been looking at them for that purpose.

Paul

Super User
    Thanks again Dave for the specs. I already have a 17" Acer that my wife uses for our finances, etc. and I'm quite impressed with the quality. Knowing the Acer netbook is adequate for this environment will definitely help me in planning. Once the X32 Rack is released later this year, I'm hoping to have enough shekels to switch over from the analog (A&H GL2400) to digital and run it from a laptop.

Paul