You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for helping with the X32

Cool Thanks for helping with the X32

Thanks to all who have answered questions for me about the X32 over the past month or so. Today my company is starting an 11 day run of Fiddler on the Roof. We are using the Behinger X32 as the main desk with a Yamaha 01v96 2 as a second desk for hanging mics and such. This show has 22 wireless, 6 hanging, 4 floor, 10 microphones on the orchestra. In addition we have 2 direct boxes as well as playback for the pre-show, intermission and post-show and a handheld wireless for the Mast of Ceremonies. As you can see from the list there are a lot of different cues to keep track of. The show will be performed 12 times in the next 11 days. We are expecting 8,000 – 10,000 people to attend during this run of Fiddler on the Roof. Thanks again to all who have helped.
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

That sounds great Bill. Let us know how it turns out.

Paul

So, after 11 days and 12 shows of Fiddler on the Roof for a combined audience of 9,328 I can say that the X32 performed wonderfully. These shows were held at a local theater that seats 900. The pit orchestra was amazed at the quality of the monitor mixes and how well they could hear the actors. Every show I would have several of the audience stop to let me know how impressed that they were with the overall sound and performance of the actors. You could easily hear the lowest whispers of Tevye when he is talking to God to the wall of sound in Tradition.

To do Fiddler, I programmed 167 sound cues. 98 of them were for the first act and the other 69 were in the second act. During intermission I would load the second act show file and then at the end of each night I would load the first act show file so that we were ready for the next performance. We used 264 9 volt batteries for the 22 actor’s wireless mics. I also used two wirelesses on the main actor, Tevye. Although it seems excessive to do such a thing the role of Tevye only leaves the stage 4 times during the 1 hour and 45 minute first act. On our last performance, just as Tevye was about to sing If I Were a Rich Man his main mic cut out an I had to shift to the backup mic for him, which I had previously eq’ed his second mic and set the volume to be the same as his main mic. No one ever knew…even the actor playing Tevye. The rest of the show was easy as could be.

I did find the following features to be the most helpful for this show:

• Head amp safe - head amps don’t change between scenes
    • Effects safe - Eq for the main mix and monitors do not change between scenes
    • Moving faders - All of my boards have this function and I don’t see how you could do a show without it.
    • The X32 was amazingly quiet and clear.
    • iPad interface, the best thing ever.

What I found lacking and had to work around:

• Scene count - I would like to see a scene count of 300. Musicals have lots of scenes and 300 scenes seems to be a fairly common number.
    • EQ reinserting on each scene - This is a little harder to explain. On my other digital mixers I have the global option to re-load all channel EQs when I load a scene. This is useful if have to change an actor to a different mic during the performance. You go in to their channel, fine tune and save the EQ and then the board loads those channel settings each time you move to a new scene. This feature allows you to make slight corrections EQ for a channel and save it on the fly. This is extremely helpful if you are running a musical.
    • It would be nice to be able to program on function key to go to the next scene and one to go to the previous scene. This would have to be without a confirmation pop-up to make it usefull.

As you can hopefully see, the X32 was an amazing tool to use for this show. This year was the 13th year in a row that I have done a show at this venue. For me mixing it was the best, easiest experience that you could have asked for. When I did my first show in this facility 13 years ago I used my Allen & Heath GL-3000-40 and we had 8 wireless mics. We really thought we had something going on and now with the advent of the X32…we do. Rumor has it that next year we will be doing the Lion King Musical.

Hope this info helps someone.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

Thanks Bill. That is wonderful to hear your experience with the X32 in that setting. I just finished doing a Pollyanna play at a local school (18 wireless mics, etc.) for a 4 night show using my A&H GL2400 and wishing every minute of it that I could borrow the church's X32. Maybe next year I'll be in a position to have the X32 Rack.

Paul

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear Bill,

you can deselect having the pop-up for confirmation at SETUP -> global -> "Confirm Pop-Ups" -> Scene Load.

Michael. Thanks for your response. I tried it and it works great.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Thanks Bill. That is wonderful to hear your experience with the X32 in that setting. I just finished doing a Pollyanna play at a local school (18 wireless mics, etc.) for a 4 night show using my A&H GL2400 and wishing every minute of it that I could borrow the church's X32. Maybe next year I'll be in a position to have the X32 Rack.

Paul
    Paul & Bill, sorry for going off-topic, but.. I have the X32 and two P16s, and from time to time I am also doing amateur theater work. You both use large numbers of wireless mics. Would you both be able to tell me which ones (brand/model), and how it's setup to not interfere with each other? Thanks in advance!

Hi Dejan, I just the Shure ULX/P 4 units with Sennheiser MKE2 Gold microphones. I almost exclusively put them in the hair on a productions so that they are not visible to the audience. High output and no feed back.

I also have a couple of Countryman over-ear E-6 units, 6 to be exact. They do not hold up as well for me and it seems like every show I have to replace 1 or 2 cables at $50 per cable. The mic itself sounds fantastic, but it is not rugged. I do have a show coming up later this year with the Second City Comedy Troupe and they have requested 8 of them for their show so I will purchase two more.

Far and away the Sennheiser is my favorite mic to use for musicals and speaking.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

I would concur with Bill. The director of the play I just did hired in a fellow with 18 Sennheiser wireless units with the in-the-hair mics. I don't think you can go wrong with Sennheiser or Shure - if you can afford them.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dejan Nikolin View Post
    .....and how it's setup to not interfere with each other? Thanks in advance!
    Do you mean RF interference, or the nastiness that happens when two performers get very close on stage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast