You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: USB Recording

USB Recording

If it's Pre or Post EQ, is it Pre or Post Fader (since these are all 4, independent choices)? I guess the question could go for any output that has the same choices.

No, both pre and post EQ are pre fader. If you want to see exactly where the taps are, look at the block diagram at the end of the X32 manual.

Paul

Thanks. I looked at the block diagram and still have some questions.

If both Pre and Post EQ are output options that are both Pre Fader, why is there a Pre Fader option? It seems like there's only 3 choices: Pre EQ/Pre Fader, Post EQ/Pre Fader and Post EQ/Post Fader.

I tried the USB recording out at a show. When I listened back, the drums and bass were too low in the mix (they both had a lot of stage volume and didn't need to be high in the mains). I'd like to be able to set their gain so that there's a good recording mix without having to boost their volume at an event. I guess that if I set gain with headphones and tap in Post EQ/Pre Fader I should be able to get what I want (well, what I really want is for individual stems to be recorded on USB - which I could do with a computer, but don't always want to bring that to a show).

Am I correct in my thinking? If not, any advice would be appreciated.

Dear Walt,

Pre EQ (Signal is tapped before EQ & Comp/Expand) / Pre Fader
    Post EQ (Signal is tapped after EQ, but before Comp/Expand) / Pre Fader
    Pre Fader (Signal is tapped after EQ & after Comp/Expand) / Pre Fader

Post Fader (Signal is tapped after EQ, after Comp/Expand) / Post Fader

The Block Diagram on page 65 of the X32 User Manual can help illustrate this best.

Hope this helps!
    Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
    Jr. Admin, Care
    MUSIC Group

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Sheehey View Post
    I tried the USB recording out at a show. When I listened back, the drums and bass were too low in the mix (they both had a lot of stage volume and didn't need to be high in the mains). I'd like to be able to set their gain so that there's a good recording mix without having to boost their volume at an event. I guess that if I set gain with headphones and tap in Post EQ/Pre Fader I should be able to get what I want (well, what I really want is for individual stems to be recorded on USB - which I could do with a computer, but don't always want to bring that to a show).
    One possibility to do this is to set up a Stereo Mix bus (link two together) and send all the channels to that bus at 0dB and then set up the bass and drums into it at +5/+10/whatever. Set up the bus as post fader, that way as you mix your channels, the bus will get mixed the same way, just with the bass and drums at a higher level than the main mix. Set up USB recording to record the Stereo Mix bus that you set up.