You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: newbi desperate to learn how to record cassettes into Audacity with Behringer UCA202

newbi desperate to learn how to record cassettes into Audacity with Behringer UCA202

Would someone PLEASE explain how to record cassette tapes into Audacity using Behringer UCA202. The directions say to set Audacity to record stereo but I cannot find how to do that. It only gives me "mono" option. I recorded before with a single cable with a jack on each end and it was very distorted. Someone suggested I get the Behringer and I cannot seem to find the right way to do it. I did get it to record but still sounds a bit distorted.

Attached are images of my cassette player, cable and Behringer UCA202. Could the player be mono and prevent me from recording quality sound? My cable has one jack on one side and two on the other. The audio is just speaking, no music. Can I record in mono and still get a good sound? I know I'm asking a lot of question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to get the smallest size mp3 file as possible and the sound not distorted. Thank you so much in advance.ports on Cassette Player.jpgcable.jpgcassette Player.jpgBehringer UCA202.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Granville Amos View Post
    Would someone PLEASE explain how to record cassette tapes into Audacity using Behringer UCA202. The directions say to set Audacity to record stereo but I cannot find how to do that. It only gives me "mono" option. I recorded before with a single cable with a jack on each end and it was very distorted. Someone suggested I get the Behringer and I cannot seem to find the right way to do it. I did get it to record but still sounds a bit distorted.

Attached are images of my cassette player, cable and Behringer UCA202. Could the player be mono and prevent me from recording quality sound? My cable has one jack on one side and two on the other. The audio is just speaking, no music. Can I record in mono and still get a good sound? I know I'm asking a lot of question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to get the smallest size mp3 file as possible and the sound not distorted. Thank you so much in advance.ports on Cassette Player.jpgcable.jpgcassette Player.jpgBehringer UCA202.jpg
    Hi Granville,

From what you describe it sounds like you may be peaking the input level on audacity a little, try the following.

.Connect the Small Jack end of the Cable to the Headphone socket of your Tape Machine.
    .Connect the RCA's on the other end of the cable to the L & R INPUT RCA's on the UCA202.
    .Connect the UCA202 USB lead to the USB port on your computer.
    .Launch Audacity.
    .Click FILE
    .Select PREFERENCES
    .In the Playback device box select the BEHRINGER device.
    .In the Recording device box select the BEHRINGER device.
    .In the channels box select "2 (stereo)"
    .Click OK to close the Preferences box
    .At the top of the screen you will see two meters, underneath one of them you will see a Microphone. Click the drop-down arrow located directly to the right of that Microphone image and select MONITOR INPUT.
    .The Input meter will now show the input level as two red bars (provided you have audio playing).
    Turn your tape recorder up or down to set your input gain (somewhere just beyond the 4th larger marker is a good level on audacity)
    .Hit record then press play on your Tape machine (you don't need to be to critical, you can top and tail it later)

Once you have recorded the audio into audacity you can adjust the gain level by moving the gain arrow in the Audio Track box, be careful with this though, you can cause distortion by peaking the output. If you find yourself having to adjust this gain control then chances are your recording level was too low and I would advise you start again with a hotter input level.

Hopefully this should get you the result you want, you will of course also need to set the input gain on your computer via control panel > sounds > recording > level

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    Jim Knowles
    CARE EMEA / Tech Support
    MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Knowles View Post
    Hi Granville,

From what you describe it sounds like you may be peaking the input level on audacity a little, try the following.

.Connect the Small Jack end of the Cable to the Headphone socket of your Tape Machine.
    .Connect the RCA's on the other end of the cable to the L & R INPUT RCA's on the UCA202.
    .Connect the UCA202 USB lead to the USB port on your computer.
    .Launch Audacity.
    .Click FILE
    .Select PREFERENCES
    .In the Playback device box select the BEHRINGER device.
    .In the Recording device box select the BEHRINGER device.
    .In the channels box select "2 (stereo)"
    .Click OK to close the Preferences box
    .At the top of the screen you will see two meters, underneath one of them you will see a Microphone. Click the drop-down arrow located directly to the right of that Microphone image and select MONITOR INPUT.
    .The Input meter will now show the input level as two red bars (provided you have audio playing).
    Turn your tape recorder up or down to set your input gain (somewhere just beyond the 4th larger marker is a good level on audacity)
    .Hit record then press play on your Tape machine (you don't need to be to critical, you can top and tail it later)

Once you have recorded the audio into audacity you can adjust the gain level by moving the gain arrow in the Audio Track box, be careful with this though, you can cause distortion by peaking the output. If you find yourself having to adjust this gain control then chances are your recording level was too low and I would advise you start again with a hotter input level.

Hopefully this should get you the result you want, you will of course also need to set the input gain on your computer via control panel > sounds > recording > level

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    Jim Knowles
    CARE EMEA / Tech Support
    MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I have done some reading and did some of the things you said but I felt it still needed some help. Your suggestions may be just what I need so as soon as I wake up later today I will apply them and see how it turns out. I was not plugging the small (single jack) of the cable to the headphone socket. I was connecting it to a socket called MONIT, which is the only other one left. I will also apply your setting for input/output.

One think I notice though, no matter whether I set the preferences to stereo or mono, it records in mono. When ever I hit record on Audacity, only one track pops up and the playback only plays out of one site (left or right) but not both (stereo). So I am not sure if this is a cause of the cassette recorder or my settings. I do want the file size to be small but I also want to do it the right way. So, is the supposed to happen? If not, any suggestions on how to change it to record in stereo? Thank you very, very much.

Granville Amos

Hi Jim,

I tried replying once but it didn't seem to work. Anyway, THANK YOU very, very much for your kind reply to my distress call. I did some reading and tried some of the things you suggested but still did not achieve the results I wanted, so your suggestions may be just what I need. I was not connecting the small end (single jack) of the cable to the headphone socket. I was connecting to the socket called MONIT. I will try your way as well as the setting you gave me and see if it works. I will try this when I wake up later today and respond back to let you know if it worked.

One think I noticed is that whether I select stereo or mono in preferences the recording always comes out with on track, which I assume is a mono track. The playback always comes back playing in only one ear of a set of headphones. I originally set it to mono because I wanted to get a small file size, but ended up with a lot of distortion. (Or at least that's what I suspect was the cause.) Is this supposed to happen, even if I select "stereo" in preferences? If not, do you have any suggestions to correct this? Could it be that the tape recorder is mono only, or the fact that I only have a single jack on one end of the cable.

Thank you sincerely very much,

Granville Amos

Quote Originally Posted by Granville Amos View Post
    Hi Jim,

I tried replying once but it didn't seem to work. Anyway, THANK YOU very, very much for your kind reply to my distress call. I did some reading and tried some of the things you suggested but still did not achieve the results I wanted, so your suggestions may be just what I need. I was not connecting the small end (single jack) of the cable to the headphone socket. I was connecting to the socket called MONIT. I will try your way as well as the setting you gave me and see if it works. I will try this when I wake up later today and respond back to let you know if it worked.

One think I noticed is that whether I select stereo or mono in preferences the recording always comes out with on track, which I assume is a mono track. The playback always comes back playing in only one ear of a set of headphones. I originally set it to mono because I wanted to get a small file size, but ended up with a lot of distortion. (Or at least that's what I suspect was the cause.) Is this supposed to happen, even if I select "stereo" in preferences? If not, do you have any suggestions to correct this? Could it be that the tape recorder is mono only, or the fact that I only have a single jack on one end of the cable.

Thank you sincerely very much,

Granville Amos
    Hi Granville,

It seems odd that your only hearing it in one headphone. Check that the MONIT output is indeed STEREO, it may be MONO output and in which case that will be the root of the problem, just to check with you, is the MINI JACK end of your cable stereo or mono?? (does it have one black ring or two), This also could be an issue.
    Let me know how you get on and we'll go from there.

Kind Regards
    Jim Knowles
    CARE EMEA / Tech Support
    MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER