You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Connecting Virtualizer PRO DSP1024P to Xenyx 2442FX?

Angry Connecting Virtualizer PRO DSP1024P to Xenyx 2442FX?

Here's the problem - sort of.

I have connected my Virtualizer PRO to the Xenyx mixer in the following way:
    Connected 1/4" Male TRS to Dual 1/4" Male TS to AUX SEND 1 on Xenyx, and the L/R mono to the Virtualizer Pro (input L/R). Connected standard MONO 1/4" Male (1 meter) cable from Virtualizer Pro (output L/R) back to the Xenyx mixer into the AUX RETURN 1 (L/R).

Here's the problem -- it seems to "sound" okay, but I'm only getting activity on the LEFT side of the meter on the Virtualizer PRO . I can't seem to get them to show activity at the same time. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

My old Behringer Eurorack 2642A mixer setup didn't seem to have this problem.

I'm sure this is probably a simple problem, and I'm being WAY TOO analytical about it.

HELP!

Hi Sean,

The problem is with the 1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable. The Aux send 1 is only a TS output, meaning the signal only goes out the tip , which equates to the left signal on the other end of that cable. What you need is a 1/4" TS to dual 1/4" splitter cable. If you know how to solder, it is easy to make. This is what I had to do to get the signal to go to both sides of my Virtualizer Pro. If you need further I can help guide you through it.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

After some careful pondering, I thought it might be just this simple after all.

However -- is this to suggest that the signal for any/all external effects is MONO for each AUX send? It seems to me that it would be better to have internal processing of the Xenyx to accept a TRS cable into the AUX send. Hmmm...

I'll connect it up with a new cable. Yeah, I can solder well, but would rather just buy a new cable for it.

Thanks again for the pointer. Much appreciated!

Hi Sean,

Behringer has a bad habit of making the Aux sends TS (unbalanced) - why is beyond me. It would only cost a few shekels more to make them balanced (TRS). I have 2 other mixers (Allen Heath GL2400 and a Phonic Helix) that have balanced Aux sends.

But don't confuse balanced signal TRS with a 1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cables. Those are normally used as an insert cable, where the signal leaves the board on the tip and returns to the board on the ring (Tip Ring Sleeve). Also the Virtualizer Pro can accept a left and right signal and send the same. Unfortunately it is not setup to be mono (transferring left signal to the right automatically) when only a signal is present on the left. Other Behringer products do have that feature, but the Virtualizer Pro does not.

Paul

Thanks again Paul!

Yeah, I finally got it working correctly. I actually used the first two (AUX 1 & 2) out to the unit, and back into the respectable ports on the Xenyx mixer. Since it's the only external effect unit that I'm currently using within the recording cycle chain, I didn't worry about taking up two AUX ports. Now...both sides work like a dream and the sound is perfect.

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!