You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best speakers to use?

Your struggling with mackie 450s weight???? these are amongst the lightest i have used to date lol. I carry them 2 at a time with no problems up and down stairs, and im no muscle man. Try carrying a set of mackies 1532's yourself lol. If your going to add subs etc to your setup then your really gonna struggle, as most subs are a hell of a lot heavier than any tops.

The "speakers on a stick" i dont think would do for your rock nights, as they just dont have the range and power required in most cases - most people in my area only use these for vocals or small scale cabaret acts.

Have you enquired about being able to set your rig up (or speakers only) on a permanent basis thus negating the need to carry them about? that would open you up to a whole lot more options.

Best Wishes

Dave

Hi Dave,
    It's not just the 450s, it's the fact that when we set up, I'm usually on my own setting up and breaking down and have to carry everything and I'm not getting any younger! I too have carried them two at a time up and down the stairs (and 4x12 guitar cabs as well - but not two at at time with them), but I'm getting fed up with it. As for permanently setting up, we have two main venues, which means that we can't leave anything set up. TBH, the more I look at this, the more I'm thinking that we should just get a pair of subs and look at storing them on the ground floor somewhere and get a trolley to wheel them around on. Now it's just a matter of WHICH subs - decisions, decisions.

Super User
    Hi Gareth,

I would encourage you to follow in that direction. Put everything you can on wheels. I've done that and wouldn't go back. Last year I discovered I had a hernia, which made me get serious in rethinking how I did things. I sold my older Carvin amps and got their new class D amps (120lbs to 36lbs) and put them wheels. I made small customized carts for the speakers, console and subs. All the cables are now stored and transported in a Stanley wheeled tote. And I bought a 4x6 enclosed trailer and had my brother (a welder) build me a folding ramp for it. Now almost everything is rolled in and out of venues. The only thing I lift now are the FOH speakers on their stands and the console on the table.

Next step is to purchase the X32 rack when it comes available and control it with a laptop or IPad, reducing the lifting even more, and eliminating the big snake as well.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
    Hi Dave,
    It's not just the 450s, it's the fact that when we set up, I'm usually on my own setting up and breaking down and have to carry everything and I'm not getting any younger! I too have carried them two at a time up and down the stairs (and 4x12 guitar cabs as well - but not two at at time with them), but I'm getting fed up with it. As for permanently setting up, we have two main venues, which means that we can't leave anything set up. TBH, the more I look at this, the more I'm thinking that we should just get a pair of subs and look at storing them on the ground floor somewhere and get a trolley to wheel them around on. Now it's just a matter of WHICH subs - decisions, decisions.
    I would go give the PRX618S-XLF's a listen. They are by far the best sounding sub in this price class and are pretty light (especially for their output). They are a bit big for one person to carry by themselves, but I can get them in and out of my GMC Acadia without any problems. If you had something to roll them with you would be set.

These have an internal cross-over at 90 Hz which should work out well with your 450's (which you should then just run full range).

You might want to give some thought to smaller guitar cabs. I quit carrying my venerable VHT 4x12 slant years back (although I still have it in my basement) because it was just too heavy.

Once you take the lows out of your 450's I think you will be surprised at how much more you can cover with them .... and those XLF's are killer on the lows. Very punchy and tight.

Depends on which version of the 450. The originals aren't bad. Gen 2 are usable, Gen 3 a bit less so.

I've mixed a number of shows on the L1MII. Way too expensive for the level of performance it offers.

I've never used the 618XLF, but it's the first thing I'd audition if I wanted a powered sub.

A friend has a pair of JTR Triple 12's that are very nice tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Koopman View Post
    For that application there are several options...Yamaha DSR/DXR, RCF Art 3/4 series, QSC K series, Yorkville NX55P's, JBL PRX, etc. I have no idea about the new Behringer stuff but the ones listed above would probably be first on my list to check.

If you really want to upgrade try Danley Sound Labs.
    Yup nothing beats the Danley stuff in a highly ambient room like a school. It is all about pattern control. People seem to forget that almost everything under the crossover point (of the horn) in most boxes are basically omni directional. The Yamaha DSR/DXR stuff sounds good and has some technology from nexo in the horn and dsp. Great sound for the money. Danley has some new products out that are more affordable than they SH 50 flagship speaker and still give you that amazing sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burns View Post
    Yup nothing beats the Danley stuff in a highly ambient room like a school. It is all about pattern control. People seem to forget that almost everything under the crossover point (of the horn) in most boxes are basically omni directional. The Yamaha DSR/DXR stuff sounds good and has some technology from nexo in the horn and dsp. Great sound for the money. Danley has some new products out that are more affordable than they SH 50 flagship speaker and still give you that amazing sound.
    I use the DSR112's over XLF's. The DSR's are a really good sounding box for what you pay for them (I am sure a Meyer would sound better at 5 times as much money). I have run them stand alone with everything but the bass put through them outside for a lake party.

The kick was lost (since it wasn't mic'ed), but the bass sounded great all night ..... even though the limiters were being tickled all night too. Still, pretty impressive for a pair of powered 12's. Everything sounded great 100 ft away on the end of the dock. The throw really surprised me (band was up the hill). The DSR112's weigh in at 47lbs which isn't as light as the JBL PRX612m (36lbs), but I can carry 2 up the stairs by myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12