You are here: Home » Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Release Date For ix16?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Mock View Post
    ... And also some dynamic mics tends to sound better if there is no phantom power on the line.
    Is this true?

And if so, how do you know what mics sound better without Phantom Power applied globally? For instance, I am using an EV ND757 mic. Would there be a problem with that mic if my female vocalist users her phantom powered mic?

Paul
    phantom power doesn't affect your dynamic mic's since the +40V travels on pin 3 of the XLR thats not used on Dynamic mic
    the global Phantom makes no difference on the sound, and only Condenser Mic's or Active DI Boxes require Phantom

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lofgren View Post
    Expensive ribbon mics are destroyed and if you use tele/rca-->xlr connectors your keyboard or iphone may become a boat anchor...
    I dont think you will be using a Ribbon mic with a Ix16 and always use a DI box when connecting any unbalanced devices to a balanced input

Thanks Ozzy! It does. I wanted to make sure that if Phantom Power was applied it wasn't making my other mics sound like utter crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Stone View Post
    phantom power doesn't affect your dynamic mic's since the +40V travels on pin 3 of the XLR thats not used on Dynamic mic
    Incorrect, phantom +48V is on both pins 2 and 3, which are BOTH used by dynamic mics. The 48V is relative to pin 1 which is ground. Dynamic mics should have the element (and transformer, if present) floating so that no current flows from pins 2 and 3 even though they are at +48V referenced to ground. You will still get a BIG pop if you disconnect the mic while "on" and if your cables and connections aren't perfect you will get crackling as someone said earlier . My solution on the DL1608 is to not use condenser mics and only use passive DI's

I dont think you will be using a Ribbon mic with a Ix16 and always use a DI box when connecting any unbalanced devices to a balanced input
    Only yesterday I saw an iphone connected minitele-->xlr in a fixed installation of a ls9... No DI!

Why don't you think that the ix16 will be used with ribbon mics or other sensitive equipment? I.e. I'm thinking home studio and band rehersal rooms...

Paul
    the global Phantom makes no difference on the sound, and only Condenser Mic's or Active DI Boxes require Phantom

hope this helps
    Phantom power is 'transmitted' on pin 2 and 3. and the singnal of ballanced mics is also transmitted on this two. And yes, avoiding phantom power when not needed is the better solution.
    But to be sure, test it by switching the phantom power on and off.
    And think also about the possibility that some cables can be broken on either pin 2 or 3.
    So these are the reasons why I personally avoid phantom power when possible.

I guess there is like ZERO possibility the ix16 will release in the next few weeks, right? Because I am probably going to have to order my small mixer in the next few days, BUT if the ix16 was coming out very soon, I would seriously consider waiting it out a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blank View Post
    I guess there is like ZERO possibility the ix16 will release in the next few weeks, right? Because I am probably going to have to order my small mixer in the next few days, BUT if the ix16 was coming out very soon, I would seriously consider waiting it out a few weeks.
    Paul,

My guess (and only my guess) is that the iX16 is going to be released before the remaining X32 products for 2 reasons. The first is that they announced the product before they announced the remaining X32 products. The second is that the $1000.00 price point and features of the iX16 are a perfect high volume mixer product for them while the other X32 family members lie in that in-between consumer market.

I have read a few places on speculated release dates. The older speculation was around Q1/Q2, and the newer speculation is more like Q2/Q3. No one at Behringer has given a hard date anywhere I have looked.

If I had to guess, I would say best case end of April, worst case August/September.

I would also purchase now if either the iX16 or X32 Rack were available today. I am OK with my MixWiz rig for now and since I don't upgrade my mixer very often (2 times in the last 20 years), I am willing to wait for what I really want.

The DL1608 just has a couple things that keep me from going with it. The first being that the channel gains are not remote capable .... which is really a minor quibble for me. The second is that the vocal efx are just not that good (you could say that they are crap from the comparisons I have heard). This last one is a really big deal for me. I could keep my M-OneXL and be OK with the DL rig, but one big part of doing this change in the first place is to get rid of all my outboard gear and downsize.

Good luck in your decision Paul.

Thanks Scott!

My problem is that I don't have a viable mixer that I can use with all the new gear I am ordering this week. My only mixer presently is an old Soundcraft Folio Rac Pac and it just isn't cutting it. If I had a MixWiz or other comparable mixer, then definitely I would wait it out and see what the ix16 brings to the table before deciding between it and the 1608.

The only thing I could do now, at this point since I need a mixer, is to buy the DL1608 at the very low cost I am paying, which is $825.00 with no sales tax brand new. Then when the ix16 comes out, I can always hawk the DL1608 used on eBay and probably recoup most or all of the cash so long as I keep it in mint condition. But the point is I am spending a ton of money on gear, going with a pair of PRX618XLF subs, PRX612m tops, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I really don't want to be trying to run that gear with a 20 year old mediocre Rac Pac thathas only 10 XLR inputs, only THREE aux sends for monitors (well four, but I use aux 3 for external effects since the Rac PAc has no onboard effects), and is really not a very good sounding mixer either.

One final word about the effects on the DL1608: All I really need is some light reverb on the vocals and maybe a little delay on the snare. I talked to a buddy of mine who owns a sizable production company and does large festivals. He owns the DL1608 for his smaller gigs, and when I told him about the DL1608's crappy reputation with the effects, he laughed and said the effects are very good actually. However, he did say that they need to be EQ'd. He mentioned that each of the effects channels has the same incredibly functional four band parametric EQ where you can control literally everything from precisely where you want to apply the band, the Q, whether it is shelf or bell, and the Q. He mentioned that if you play around with the EQ for the effects channels that you can get some really nice effects, though he did agree that "out of the box" they don't sound great.

By the way, since I am only using reverb, pretty much, you should hear how AWFUL the external reverb unit I am using sounds! lol I think it is an ART unit from 20 years ago, but I am not sure.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast