You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Release Date For ix16?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blank View Post
    The problem is that my "new price" is $825.00 from a dealer out in St Louis, drop shipped from Mackie. The used prices are usually higher than that, to be honest. So I would rather buy new, unless I saw a truly amazing deal.

I am going to also need a full sized mixer, and am looking at both the X32 and the SL 24.4.2, as you already know both from Harmony Central (I am ChiroVette there, in case you didn't know) and from the dearly departed Mackie forums. The more I look at it, the more I REALLY like the X32, full sized mixer over the 24.4.2. But buying the small mixer (1608) means I don't have to be in a rush to snag the large desk.
    Hi Paul,

OneEng here

I am looking at the same change as you for my band. Here is my take so far:

I like the X32 as well, but I seriously do not need 32 channels .... in fact, I really only NEED 7 and a stereo input for break music since my band has vDrums. I mixed acoustic drums with my 16 channel MixWiz with no problems, so 16 channels are more than enough for my needs. If I needed 32 channels, the X32 would definitely be the ticket, but I don't and $3K is a waste if you don't need the channel count....

Enter the current crop of new digital mixers.

Line 6 StageScape M20D: I like the concept, hate the price. At $2K it is quite a bit higher than the other mixers in its class (even though it does contain an integrated virtual control surface). I haven't heard it though, and can't vouch for the quality of the efx on vocals. Furthermore with only 12 mic pre's it is low on the totem pole with respect to channel count (actually it is equal to the 16.0.2).

Mackie DL1608: Talk about a near miss! Good price, 16 mic preamps, remote MIDI scene changes, yada yada yada..... then the bad news. The efx are not very good. Gains can not be stored are recalled remotely. IMHO, both of these should have been done at launch. They would have really had something. Now, I am afraid that they are simply the best 16 channel digital mixer for bands that mix from stage ...... until something better comes out in this price range.

StudioLive 16.4.2: Love this mixer. I was able to figure this beast out in 5 minutes flat coming from my MixWiz. Presonus owned this market. I can't believe they sat on their laurels long enough to be eclipsed . The bad ..... No recall-able scenes from remote while playing live (ouch). Only supports firewire (ouch). MUST have a computer host in order to do remote mixing (ouch). No recall-able or remote controlled channel gains. No MIDI scene change.

now the newcommers:

X32 Producer: Wow. What a power house of a 16 channel mixer. Great efx, great features, great IO, no computer needed for remote monitoring and control, yada, yada, yada. $2000.00 ... a little steep for this market, but you are getting the best 16 channel mixer with motorized faders that will be on the market IMHO. Aside from the price, the only other challenge I see for this mixer is that they removed the LCD scribble strips. That makes for some confusing mixing on a layered mixer.

X32 Rack: Wow and wow! $1500.00 gets you everything but the physical mixing interface of the producer. This mixer would be my #1 choice except for ONE small problem it has ....... no product available until Q3 at least . I also have a small quibble with having to plug everything into the back of a rack, but it is minor. If they were shipping, I would have one.

And finally, the subject of this thread ..... the iX16: While all the X32 products can be expected to have the same great features and sound quality as the shipping X32, I am not as sure about this product. At $1000.00, it is a winner on price for sure. No host computer needed for routing wireless (check), 16 channels (check), inputs on top of mixer (check). Small footprint and light (check). The bad? It isn't shipping yet either. This product was announced long before the new X32 products, so I am going to GUESS that this puppy is the next out the gate (rumor says Q2 ... maybe May). What I am really worried about is that the processing on this unit will be different than the X32 and possibly not as high of quality. Some of the features are also being cut, but most of those I don't use.

So here is my list from MOST desired to least desired

1. iX16 - Small, light and full featured. If it sounds as good as the X32, I will get it in Q2
    2. X32 Rack - Known good sound quality, but the release is not until at least Q3 .... and I don't want to wait
    3. X32 Producer - Great product, but if I am not going to use those faders very often, I think they are just one more thing to get broken. I am going with less moving parts
    4. Line 6 M20D - A bit too expensive, and only 12 channels. Aside from that .... well done.
      Mackie DL1608 - Great features, but non-recallable or adjustable gains along with only OK efx takes it out of the running for me
    5. StudioLive 16.4.2 - No remotely recallable scenes is just a non starter for me. The need for a host computer to get the wireless to work is so outdated, I can't believe they didn't fix this within a year of launch. I hope Apple paid them well because they are about to lose their market rapidly.

I think that we may see something from Peavey and surely Yamaha before too long..... maybe even Allen&Heath.
    Last edited by Scott Bolt; 03-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Hi Scott,

One additional comment about the Mackie.
    The phantom power is only switchable for all input channels at once. This is for me one of the major reasons why I still wait for another one. And I also don't know whether to buy the Core, the Rack or the iX16.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Mock View Post
    Hi Scott,

The phantom power is only switchable for all input channels at once. This is for me one of the major reasons why I still wait for another one. And I also don't know whether to buy the Core, the Rack or the iX16.
    Thanks Klaus. I didn't know that.

On the Core, why would anyone want Core + S16 over X32 Rack?

Behringer -- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not release this LOL, i was waiting on it, but decided to jump in for the x32 as i couldnt wait any longer. If you release it now, you will be personally responsible for my divorce, as my wife has still not forgiven me for the purchase of the X32 -- can you imagine what my life would be like if you released the IX16 now, so soon after i just bought the X32, as i would need to purchase it as well LOL

Seriously, i wouldnt mind a heads up on a release date and if possible GBP price

Many Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Mock View Post
    Hi Scott,

I don't think this is a big deal in the modern world. At one time, some microphones could get shorted out if a mixer sent phantom power to them. Now, while it certainly is preferable to have phantom power you can toggle on and off on every channel, I don't think sending phantom power to an entire mixer is such a bad thing.

Paul one of the main reasons for separate phantom control is to reduce the popping intensity when something is unplugged before you are able to mute that channel. With phantom on, the popping is much more intense (and potentially dangerous to speakers, etc). I know I'm getting spoiled with these consoles that have this feature. But I'm getting to the point that if I'm asked to run a console without it, I'm more inclined to decline.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blank View Post
    I don't think this is a big deal in the modern world. At one time, some microphones could get shorted out if a mixer sent phantom power to them. Now, while it certainly is preferable to have phantom power you can toggle on and off on every channel, I don't think sending phantom power to an entire mixer is such a bad thing.
    Expensive ribbon mics are destroyed and if you use tele/rca-->xlr connectors your keyboard or iphone may become a boat anchor...

I think it was SWR bass amps that were notorious for having their DI XLR outputs burned up by phantom. Also many mixers used as submixers couldn't take it on their outputs. The "simple" workaround is to use the TRS inputs but the DL1608 only has four channels of combo XLR/TRS jacks. The iX16 is going to have all 16 as combos .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bolt View Post
    On the Core, why would anyone want Core + S16 over X32 Rack?
    I have two S16. So I have already some IO and can save money with the Core.
    Last edited by Klaus Mock; 03-23-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lofgren View Post
    Expensive ribbon mics are destroyed and if you use tele/rca-->xlr connectors your keyboard or iphone may become a boat anchor...
    ... And also some dynamic mics tends to sound better if there is no phantom power on the line.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast