You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: Wifi network remote control of DCX2496

Wifi network remote control of DCX2496

Hi all,
    I want to share my experience with remote speaker management DCX2496 over a computer network. This unit is not equipped with an Ethernet port, but only serial interface RS232 or RS485. And for these reasons, it can not be directly integrated into the network (Wifi).
    Yes, the device may be near mix, but the amplifiers must then go more cables. I prefer DCX2496 in a rack with amplifiers.
    For this purpose I bought a converter, MOXA NPort 5150, which has RS232 and RS485 (for controlling multiple devices), as this converter device works.
    Can I mix and control all the parameters using a computer with wifi. Selecting router or wifi ap is up to you.

Ben Obee
    Hi Jiri,

This is a really good solution for this product! Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiř Jirutka View Post
    Hi all,
    I want to share my experience with remote speaker management DCX2496 over a computer network. This unit is not equipped with an Ethernet port, but only serial interface RS232 or RS485. And for these reasons, it can not be directly integrated into the network (Wifi).
    Yes, the device may be near mix, but the amplifiers must then go more cables. I prefer DCX2496 in a rack with amplifiers.
    For this purpose I bought a converter, MOXA NPort 5150, which has RS232 and RS485 (for controlling multiple devices), as this converter device works.
    Can I mix and control all the parameters using a computer with wifi. Selecting router or wifi ap is up to you.
    Hi Jiri

I have been trying to get this to work with no luck yet, I have tried 2 different ethernet to serial devices.

Did you end up using RS232 or RS485?
    if you used 485 what cable did you use?
    I have had it working with an old laptop which has an RS232 com port but this requires a very long cable, I really want to get it to work over ethernet as I already have a network connection between stage and front of house.

What com port settings did you use and did you have to go through any firewall settings.

I am using a Brainboxes ES257B ethernet to dual serial converter.
    I have 2 2496s and would like to have 2 instances of the software running to control each one simulaneously as one is left and the other is right, switching in one instance of the remote software is extremely clunky.

Any tips would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance

I am using RS232, but with the moxa, i can use 485 too. I hawe old laptop acer, or the new laptop HP. both works fine via wifi

thanx for the reply, I think I will have to try to find a UK distributer for the moxa unit, I have tried everything I can think of with the brainboxes unit and a netcom unit. 4 different computers too
    Did you have to manually open ports in the firewall on either computer?
    I found on my old laptop with the com port that I had to set the port to 11520 baud 8 date bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and hardware flow control

Hi John, after physical connection of MOXA, I must install virtual serial driver on my laptop, after find moxa on my network I must confirm windows firewall warning. After this moxa work. Serial was com4 (for example). Then I open DCX2496 remote software and set port as com4.

PS. Moxa hardware is MOXA nPort 5150 with one serial port and one ethernet port. You can use serial port as a RS485 or RS232. If you want use more DCXs, you must use RS485, that have one pair of wiring between moxa and units. The wiring cable you can find on internet, or write me PM and I send you wiring. Very easy.

Dunno if this will work with that device, but with the DBX 480 (which was very picky about USB-Serial adapters) one could make 9-pin to XLR adapters and use a spare snake line:

dbx modem cable connection requires only three of the RS-232 pins:

Pins #2

Pin #3

Shield on Pin #5.

Wire Pin #2 of RS-232 to Pin #2 of XLR, Pin #3 of RS-232 to Pin #3 of XLR, and Pin #5 of RS-232 to Pin #1 of XLR. Use a Male XLR on one section and a Female XLR on the other section.

You now can use a Balanced Mic or Return snake Line to extend the RS-232 interface

The drive rack is concidered a master so to interface to a PC the cable should have pins 2 and 3 crossed.

yes, but RS232 has lenght limit in meters, not more tens meters, only 485 may be longer.