You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: What is your application for matrix sends?

What is your application for matrix sends?

Hi all,

We are in the middle of choosing our next mixer (I think we've found it !!)

I was wondering about how those of you that have an X32 are using the matrix mixes? Overflow area? Foyer speaker system? Nursery? Green Room?

Hoping to hear from several.

Glad to have this area of the forum.

GBU,
    Pete Hanratty
    Pathway Church
    Gahanna, OH
    Last edited by Pete Hanratty; 02-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Our Matrix use

Hi,

I'm using two matrixes to feed our main speaker array and subwoofer. The matrix EQs have filters appropriate for crossovers, so I've set each matrix up to catch a post fader feed from our Mono bus, and I've set the physical outputs to look at the speaker array matrix and the subwoofer matrix pre-fader. This means that the matrix faders don't have any affect on the physical outputs so our volunteer operators can't mess things up by playing with those faders.

Best Regards,

John.

Ours (for now) is simply to feed a CD recorder and a mommies room. (yes, we realize the cd recorder may be so yesterday when we can record straight to the usb drive... but for now...... <S>)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanratty View Post
    Hi all,

We are in the middle of choosing our next mixer (I think we've found it !!)

I was wondering about how those of you that have an X32 are using the matrix mixes? Overflow area? Foyer speaker system? Nursery? Green Room?

Hoping to hear from several.

Glad to have this area of the forum.

GBU,
    Pete Hanratty
    Pathway Church
    Gahanna, OH
    We have four stereo groups, four monitor sends, and four effects sends on the 16 bus sends. Our Matrices are Social Hall, Monitor 5, Choir Monitor Left, Choir Monitor Right, Record Left, Record Right. We handle Assisted listening, Cry room/Nursery, and Overflow areas with tailored sends off our main system processors. IMO it is still pretty sketchy to use the X32 matrices in place of a crossover or system processor for system speakers given their is no password protection for anything and a volunteer can readily mess them up by accident.
    Last edited by JayEspelien; 02-20-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayEspelien View Post
    We have four stereo groups, four monitor sends, and four effects sends on the 16 bus sends. Our Matrices are Overflow area, Monitor 5, Choir Monitor Left, Choir Monitor Right, Record Left, Record Right. We handle Assisted listening, Cry room, Nursery, Foyer, and Overflow areas with tailored sends off our main system processors. IMO it is still pretty sketchy to use the X32 matrices in place of a crossover or system processor for system speakers given their is no password protection for anything and a volunteer can readily mess them up by accident.
    Password protection of vital areas I think has to be a major priority..... coming from an I.T. world, the lack of ability to protect areas from being changed is.... uncomforting.... at best. In business,to create, say, a database application that gives everyone complete control of all the underlying data would be disastrous at best. Since the X32 really IS a data application... those same rules should apply. If it were me I would use Microsoft's Active Directory permissions modal that allows specific people, belonging to specific groups, permissions to change specific areas.

NOT bashing the X32 or dev. team... we are going into week two of 'live' use and loving every moment.

Thanks for all the replies. Jay, seems like quite a large installation. And yes I agree that without protection I wouldn't leave dsp or crossover functions to the X32.

We threw our X32 in to the deep end of the pool. We are just finishing a capital campaign to fund a complete renovation and systems update, Electrical, Lighting, A/C, A/V on our sanctuary in advance of our sesquicentennial in 2014. Our existing large format analog console didn't get the memo and decided to turn in its resignation early, last fall. Our sound team is entirely analog guys so it seemed a wise decision to test the waters with something both readily available and less expensive as a bridge until the new system installation. The X32 has surprised and impressed everyone who has touched it, I can not count how many times I have heard something along the lines of "I can't believe this is a Behringer!". Unfortunately for the Music Group the X32 has proven to be such a good fit for us we may not be buying a Midas Pro2 for the new system after all. We will however be buying plenty of X32 Rack units for other spaces on our campus when they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by mark nicholas View Post
    Password protection of vital areas I think has to be a major priority..... . If it were me I would use Microsoft's Active Directory permissions modal that allows specific people, belonging to specific groups, permissions to change specific areas.t.
    Ahhh... Great idea but I cringed at you Microsoft AD comment. Ew... no thanks. Unix file permissions would be easier and common for both the Linux and OS X. It's pretty easy to write code that will work on WIndows since the permissions will all be held on the board.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

I use two matrices to feed the USB recorder. I have another 2 feeding assisted listening devices and audio distribution (foyer/gym/etc).