You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: CAT5 over multicore?

CAT5 over multicore?

Just wondering if it would be possible to adapt CAT5 connectors to run digital signal successfully over a standard multicore?
    Maybe using several XLR ins/outs with adaptors at each end. Would the signal integrity remain intact?

I know you could use the standard connectors but if you had an X32 and S16's you could potentially still use the same setup without running any more cabling.

The thinking behind this is when venues have audio multicores but no CAT5 in place. I was at a venue last night which was quite large and had this (audio snake) setup. Although I used the in-house gear it got me thinking.

Anyone know if it's possible?

yes, it is possible over 2/4 xlrs. My friend has this for dante, and dante is ethernet too.

You can make 2 breakout boxes with 4 XLR (1 male and 1 female box) and 1 panel mount rj45

0000755_rj45_panel_mount_receptacle_300.jpeg

Dear Trev,

The Ethernet connection made between the X32 and S16 uses AES50, which is a Layer 1 digital protocol. Pertaining to our X-Family of products, AES50 requires CAT5e or CAT6 cables.

Kind regards,
    Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
    Jr. Admin, Care
    MUSIC Group

whats the maximum length for cat 6 and cat5e runs ?

Dear Ozzy,

We recommend a run no greater than 100 meters.

Kind regards,
    Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
    Jr. Admin, Care
    MUSIC Group

thanks manThanks chase

the lenght for aes50 is the same as for ethernet, 105m, if you need more, you need repeater. for eth min.2 port switch.

All good stuff, thanks for the replies.