You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Routing Question

Routing Question

I will be using the X32 FOH and it will be connected to the stage area via a CAT5 and the AES50-A. I have two S16's mounted on the side of the stage. Each S16 takes care of 16 inputs and 8 outputs.

The first Eight Outs are connected to 7 in-ear monitors with #8 going to side fills. The second eight outputs are connected such that Ch 15 & 16 are my Main Speaker outputs and 13 & 14 connect to a second sound system and is controlled via Matrix 1&2. I have been using this set up for the past few weeks without any problems.

I was informed that on the next gig, the local TV station will be filming the event and they would like to connect to a mono feed from the console. I used another Matrix (3) this time assigned to channel 12 and set it up as a mono feed. I tried everything out and it was working perfectly except...

Now I am informed that the TV station would like the feed connected to the console and not from the S16 located at the stage. This is so they can monitor the signal saturation (or something like that). When I tried out the system, I had assumed that the mono feed would be connected to output 12 on the S16 and everything did work correctly.

With this event happening on Monday, I am not sure how to get the Matrix 3 via Output 12 back to the console.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can leave everything connected to the S16's as it has been but get Matrix 3 mono out at the console?

the X32 is setup only with blocks of 8 for all in and outs, which is tough in your situation for that TV station, i recommend you run an xlr from the S16 all the way to there setup like you have done already, you can still monitor the signal from the console. With the setup currently, you have digitally moved all of the inputs and outs to the stage and have disabled the plugs on the back of the console. the only way for them to get what they want is for you to run xlr's from the second set of outs from the physical console to the speakers. hope that makes since, this is what i am doing for my church, all 32 is on the stage, the first 8 outs on my console are for my video feeds, and the second 8 outs are on the S16 for monitors and mains.
    Last edited by John Ness; 02-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Why not output that matrix to one of the Aux outs? They are always local to the X32 (and are a balanced out, btw, just in a TRS config).

Paul

You always have to assign the desired signal (bus or matrix) to the local output. The S16 out only "mirrors" the local outputs in groups of eight.
    This means you have to do nothing more than connect the device of the tv station to the local output 12. Live canbe sometimes so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Mock View Post
    You always have to assign the desired signal (bus or matrix) to the local output. The S16 out only "mirrors" the local outputs in groups of eight.
    This means you have to do nothing more than connect the device of the tv station to the local output 12. Live canbe sometimes so simple.
    Indeed, in the default configuration the local outputs are mirrored on aes50/s16.

Tip: if you want to use other mixbusses/signals on the local outputs than on the S16's, you could route the P16 outputs to ch1-16 on aes50. Then you can assign anything to the local outputs regardless of what you assign to the S16(P16) outputs. Drawbacks are: 1) you loose the P16 monitoring functionality and 2) no delay on the P16 outputs so also no delay on the S16 outputs. Maybe Behringer could add delay to the P16 outputs?

Klaus,

Thanks for the tip, it worked out perfectly. I assumed the outputs were like the inputs when used with the S16's and were disconnected locally. Without access to the console until just before show time, I was not able to experiment.

Jim