You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X32 as a stage monitor desk

X32 as a stage monitor desk

Can I get a GEQ inserted for each 16 mix busses?

Best regards

Hi Michael,

Yes, you can insert a Graphic EQ on all sixteen MixBuses. However, this will use up all of your Effects banks. The console has eight Effects banks and each bank has a dual-mono or stereo input. In this scenario, all of your FX banks would be Dual Graphic EQ's giving you sixteen discrete instances.

Kind regards

yes you can
    just use the mono eq

I haven't tried it, but if you don't want to use any FX you might be able to use all of the FX slots as GEQ's and run them as inserts.

Fiona Hammond
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Berries View Post
    Can I get a GEQ inserted for each 16 mix busses?

Best regards
    Hi Michael,

Yes this is possible, by using all 8 stereo FX slots as Dual graphic EQs, totaling 16 independent graphic EQs, which you then insert on your mix busses.

Kind Regards,
    Fiona Hammond
    CARE EMEA
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

See post above.
    Last edited by Jürgen Kirkovits; 01-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.

OK, but how I can insert the first 4 slots to the busses?
    I mean, this slots are routed to the FX returns...

Hi Michael,

You are correct. The first 4 slots are designed as send/return type FX slots and cannot be changed. The last 4 slots are designed as insert (inline) type FX slots, which is what you are wanting for EQ control.

What I would suggest is to learn to use the PEQ built into each channel and mixbusses. Even though they are only 6 channel PEQ, it is amazing how well they can control feedback and shape the output frequencies to the desired sound. The PEQ do take a bit of getting use to, since they have not only frequency and gain controls, but also the Q control (width).

One of the singers at our church insists on using one of those small flesh colored headset mics, which are notorious for feedback. With a bit of work with the PEQ of that channel, I was very surprised at how well the feedback was eliminated and the mic sounded much better than without the PEQ (and of course some compression). And if per chance there is still some untamed frequencies left, that channel (or mixbus) could also be sent through a channel of a Dual GEQ for further refinement.

I'm also a firm believer to do more EQ, etc. on the input and get the inputs correct, than over process the outputs. Garbage in, garbage out, remember.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Berries View Post
    OK, but how I can insert the first 4 slots to the busses?
    I mean, this slots are routed to the FX returns...
    The first 4 FX buses can be changed over to be inserts. Go to your FX screen, and highlight one of the first 4 FX units. Your first two push encoders will let you select the source for that unit. Select "Insert" for each channel, and then repeat for the other 3 FX units.

Now select your Mix Bus and go to the Config tab. The right side push encoder will let you select the FX unit you want to insert for that bus. The next encoder over will let you select a Pre or Post insert position, and pushing the encoder will engage the insert.

Paul also makes a great point about using the parametric EQ for both the channels and the buses. A lot can be done with those.

Ryan, I'm intrigued by your suggestion of changing the source to "Insert". But I'm not sure it will change those slots to inline type inserts.

The reason I say that is because the FX returns are different than the Aux in the same layer (3), in that there is no option to choose a source. Even though you can change the input of the first 4 slots to insert, I really think the output of those slots are tied to those Fx returns as a typical send/return type Fx. A true inline Fx becomes an exclusive Fx for that signal. The signal goes from the source (channel, or mixbus) to the Fx, then output back into that same signal path as a "wet" signal.

But I need to do some testing with the X32 (send some signals through the scenario you suggest) to see if my understanding of the X32 is correct or not. I'm doing sound for tomorrow's church service, and if they give me a moment to experiment, I'll let you know what I find out.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast