You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insert chaining

Quote Originally Posted by humhead View Post
    No Buss does not mean channel. PLEASE get some education.

IF what you are trying to do is send one effect (lets say a reverb in rack 5) to another effect (lets say a delay in rack 6) then yes this is easily achieved by sending the return of the reverb to the assigned send (mix) of the delay.

Again, I seriously urge you to stop posting these questions until you have some basic knowledge of audio. Find a local SR company and intern with them, or see if one of their educated professional engineers would be willing to teach you. You lack basic, day 1 knowledge. Educate yourself, so you are not ignorant of what you are trying to understand without knowledge, please.

Once you have gained enough basic knowledge to begin on the X32, come back and we will be happy to help you.
    Man, lighten up, you're taking things way too seriously. You have to accept that not everyone on this beautiful planet uses the same terminology, has the same knowledge, the same motivation, and whatsoever. You don't want to understand my questions, and I'm OK with that. Christian did understand it right away, so it can't really be me. Anyway, as far as I know you're not in the position of telling anyone what to do or what not to do, so please, let it be. I'm not your enemy, I'm a very friendly guy, and I can be friends with even the most repellent kind, but I'm having a hard time with someone who's patronizing me as you do.

I'm more educated than you would believe, but I don't mind asking questions that may seem silly to someone else. I never did, I hopefully never will, and I will teach my son to do the same. Cause there are no silly questions, there are just silly answers, as you have displayed impressively.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Boche View Post
    I think Jürgen is aking about FX stacking, which seems impossible by now. Each insert can adress only one of the build in FX devices. Would be a nice to have feature though.

Christian
    Right, that's what I was talking about. humhead did mention routing an FX return channel to one of the inputs, but I don't think that this is possible, re-routing or not. I will have to check that though.

Have a look at my post of yesterday. Unfortunately it got blocked awaiting approval, since I'm a newby on this forum. The X32 divides the Fx rack into 4 sends/returns and 4 insert type of typology. The sends/returns can be stacked (or daisy chained), but the true insert cannot. This is the same in the analog console world that I come from. The DAW world (like Reaper) changes this paradigm completely. If its the latter you come from and are wanting, why not use the strengths of both worlds using a PC connected through the card, as I previously suggested. That is what we plan on doing.

Paul

What you can do is to have one insert on the (input)channel and a second insert on a group/bus channel. It is also possible to route the signal back through a second input channel, but that would eat up just as many buses and one additional input channel. Still, you could bounce channels like that to make the chain as long as you want untill you run out of inserts and buses.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    The X32 divides the Fx rack into 4 sends/returns and 4 insert type of typology. The sends/returns can be stacked (or daisy chained), but the true insert cannot.
    Hi Paul!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. And yes, I'm coming from the DAW world, and with the X32 being a digital console it should easily be possible to stack the inserts. Would be great if that feature would turn up in one of the future updates!

With PCs, especially with native plug-in processing, there's always the problem of latency, and with 48k even a modest plug-in delay of about 500 samples gives you a rather hefty sound delay of over 10ms which for me is unacceptable in live mixing. Plus I'm recording most of my gigs and wouldn't want to put any additional strain on my MacBook Air.

Regards, JK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    But if you are only wanting to use the de-esser before saturation (I read that compression), it makes more sense to setup the first insert Fx (right column of Effects screen) with the dual de-esser and link one of the de-esser channels to the channel of the voice you need de-essed. That puts that Fx before the Eq and compressor in the signal path.
    With "saturation" I meant a little distortion from the tube stage "plug-in". What I was just wondering: could it be that it's not stated in the manual which plug-in can be inserted as FX loop and which as inserts? It's an artificial limitation again I guess, but it's one that's there and wouldn't really need to be, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Per Sovik View Post
    What you can do is to have one insert on the (input)channel and a second insert on a group/bus channel. It is also possible to route the signal back through a second input channel, but that would eat up just as many buses and one additional input channel. Still, you could bounce channels like that to make the chain as long as you want untill you run out of inserts and buses.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I would welcome removing this artificial limitation from the console. What do you think?

humhead
    Is the manual only available in English? Perhaps then Behringer should consider publications in other languages.

It is typical of most mid line digital consoles the limitation of one insert point per buss.

There is no latency put on your recording computer for inserts on the X32, that is completely independent of the X32.

What you want to do is not ever going to be possible on an under $20K digital desk. If you need these features I suggest you look into the Avid SC48. That's about the lowest cost console that will offer multiple inserts on mix busses. Its base price however is 10X the price of the X32.
    Last edited by humhead; 01-03-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by humhead View Post
    There is no latency put on your recording computer for inserts on the X32, that is completely independent of the X32.
    I would like to do this live, so if I would do as you suggested, it would add latency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12