You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

View Poll Results: Is this a cool idea?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, l like it, this is what electronics is all about

0 0%
  • No, l just want phaser FX on commercial music, for beer boys. Wow move filter resonance up & down.

0 0%
  • What?

0 0%
  • I'll have to ask deadmau5, l don't do my own thinking

1 100.00%
  • I like you

0 0%
  • See above

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Computer --> USB --> Mixer --> Mapping audio (not FX or dials) to multiple channels?

Question Computer --> USB --> Mixer --> Mapping audio (not FX or dials) to multiple channels?

I'm very confused by everything on the internet on this subject - or rather, the dearth of any info.

Imagine l have a DJ program (as in Traktor - which l don't use), or a DAW with many channels of clips (as in Ableton) or many synth racks (as in Reason) - which mixers can l use to transfer different SIMULTANEOUS pieces of audio from one computer each to a separate mixer channel? And l'm not just talking about two mixer channels. I mean four or more.

I've heard you need a soundcard and a mixer or a mixer with a soundcard, but even with a soundcard, you might not be able to do it. I've heard you need a mixer that is also an audio interface (isn't that a soundcard?) or an audio interface with a mixer. Yet none of the products that l've looked at actually demonstrate that they are able to do the thing l am asking about.

It's quite simple. Here's an example:

5 different synths playing on computer (from 2 different DAWs, perhaps?) ---> [select on the DAW which channel on the mixer soundcard you want each synth to be routed to] ---> USB connection ---> Mixer channels (preferably with a crossfader too!).

Please please please can you tell me:

1) If it can be done

2) The official terminology for what l am describing

3) Which of your current mixers can do it

Thank you in advance!

Hi !

I don't know whay you wanna do this...
    The daw has his own mixer...

Anyway... http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFX1604.aspx
    This mixer alow you to get 16 channels to your daw from him sources
    and to get 4 channels from your daw to the mixer (1-2 to ch 13/14 and 3-4 to 15/16).

The other way you can do this if you need it is to get haow many M-audio Delta
    1010LT you need and plug it in to a mixer whit how much channels you need.

For example, with 2 Delta 1010LT you have 16 out and 16 in (4 balancet with
    mic pramp) analog, 2 digital spdif in/out 2 midi in/out.

You can hold up to 4 delta 1010lt in a pc !

Anyway again... almost all we need to get the signal with good latency inside the pc
    so we can process it an mixing with how many effect without carrying racks full of equipment.

In my opinion the multiple otputs are necesary if you get out direct to PA system in
    multiways (biamp, threeamp etc) or for sends to use external effects !

Anyway... I give you two solutions: XENYX UFX1604 if 16in / 4out are enough,
    or mixer + M-audio delta 1010lt for up to 32 analog in/out

Also bear in mind that is coming FIREPOWER FCA1616, witch in adition with ADA8000 gives you 16 in/16out.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA1616.aspx
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8000.aspx

LE:
    In other order... why you wanna mix 10 audio signals on an external mixer,
    when you can mixit internal with no hum and other noises ( inside a daw )?

Also you can use a bcf2000 as a midi controll if you want to feel the real thing in your hands !
    Last edited by Iordache Ionut; 01-04-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Hi, I want an external mixer because:

1) I want to change the sound live, not in a studio. So l need direct access.

2) I want to be able to hear some parts of the live sound (some sound modules on the DAW) with headphones, before sending them out live.

3) I want a crossfader, l have a crossfader fetish and l must have one.

4) I want to beat match input from another program on the same computer, or another program on another computer, as well as the main program that l am routing to the mixer.

I hope this is clear

Please can somebody give me a definitive answer because l don't want to purchase hardware only to have to return it to vendor. And l don't want to phone a vendor just to ask them questions, without buying directly from them. There are vendors that l can phone, but they are more expensive than the vendors l want to buy from. So it would be wrong for me to waste a vendor's time by phoning them for info, without ever intending to buy from them.

And of course, there is the risk that the vendor doesn't know what they are talking about and just wants to sell me a piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Iordache Ionut View Post

I give you two solutions:

1 - XENYX UFX1604 if 16in / 4out are enough,
    2 - mixer + M-audio delta 1010lt for up to 32 analog in/out

Also bear in mind that is coming FIREPOWER FCA1616, witch in adition with ADA8000 gives you 16 in/16out.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA1616.aspx
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8000.aspx
    The mixer is your choise mate ! With cross or not...

Thanks for your suggestions but l really need a mixer with a crossfader, not just a soundcard and not a mixer without a soundcard.

And like l said, l need the mixer to act like a soundcard, so that it can route separate virtual instrument racks on a DAW to separate mixer channels.

And l need for there to be a crossfader.

And l need for there to be BMP syncing between separate inputs.

So there needs to be MIDI out too, and whatever is required to record total output to a DAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    5 different synths playing on computer (from 2 different DAWs, perhaps?) ---> [select on the DAW which channel on the mixer soundcard you want each synth to be routed to] ---> USB connection ---> Mixer channels (preferably with a crossfader too!).

Please please please can you tell me:

1) If it can be done

2) The official terminology for what l am describing

3) Which of your current mixers can do it
    You can set this up in Linux with Jack. Although it would be easiest to do with only one DAW since that'll be your mixer. I know there are a few that have cross fade in it. You just map any-ole controller to the DAW so you're getting the effects. Technically you don't even need a special soundcard for something like this.

Additional Reading: http://jackaudio.org/
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions but l really need a mixer with a crossfader, not just a soundcard and not a mixer without a soundcard.

And like l said, l need the mixer to act like a soundcard, so that it can route separate virtual instrument racks on a DAW to separate mixer channels.

And l need for there to be a crossfader.

And l need for there to be BMP syncing between separate inputs.

So there needs to be MIDI out too, and whatever is required to record total output to a DAW.
    No such animal, sir. You can have a DJ mixer that also has a built in soundcard and a crossfader. No problem there. But you're not going to get a MIXER that is doing your BPM syncing of multiple connected devices. Not only does that not exist, but I'm not sure I can see the use case.

Ignoring the MIDI clock feature, the other issue you might run into with your mixer/interface is you're describing multiple applications needing access to the mixer at the same time. So you'll need a multi-point support in the driver for your interface. This is a pretty common feature in audio interfaces, but not so common that you can just assume it's in there. You'll need to do a bit of research.
    Craig Reeves,
    Product Manager, DJ
    MUSIC-Group US.