You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT5 cable recommendations for ~150ft run between X32 and S16

CAT5 cable recommendations for ~150ft run between X32 and S16

Waiting for my S16 to arrive but wanted to get going with ordering cables etc.

Can anyone confirm what type of CAT5 cable is recommended for the X32 and S16 via the AES50 ports?

Not sure if the CAT5 cable needs to be STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) or UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair). While STP sounds like it would be better, I've also heard that it can introduce noise via static buildup which can cause interference issues.

Please advise.

Still looking for recommendations on cable type... Anyone?

We have about the same length of UTP Cat5 installed for the P16, but are also in the same boat waiting for the S16's to ship. The UTP is working just fine for the 6 P16's and P16D we are currently using. My understanding that it should also work for the AES50 (S16).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bontius View Post
    Waiting for my S16 to arrive but wanted to get going with ordering cables etc.

Can anyone confirm what type of CAT5 cable is recommended for the X32 and S16 via the AES50 ports?

Not sure if the CAT5 cable needs to be STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) or UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair). While STP sounds like it would be better, I've also heard that it can introduce noise via static buildup which can cause interference issues.

Please advise.
    You can't be wrong with double shielded (SSTP) cables. If in doubt just get two or three different cables and try them out, they're not that pricey anyway.

Frans
    We have good results with Belden 1305A CATSNAKE cable.

Steve,

I am in the same boat as you with my two S16 units due to arrive any day now.

My sales rep highly recommends the Whirlwind Cable and swears it will work just fine - To the point of a full refund if not!

SPECIFICATIONS

CABLE - Whirlwind WCAT5E ruggedized CAT-5e cable, 8 cond. 24 GA UTP,
    238 O.D., PVC jacket
    CONNECTORS - Neutrik NE8MC-B ETHERCON

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/pre-...con-connectors

Notice - This is a UTP cable and rather costly but worth it if it stands up to weekly road use and abuse.

It would be nice if someone from Behringer could give us a little assistance with this. Like you say STP or UTP - what is recommended?
    Last edited by Jim Taylor; 01-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Taylor View Post
    Steve,

I am in the same boat as you with my two S16 units due to arrive any day now.

My sales rep highly recommends the Whirlwind Cable and swears it will work just fine - To the point of a full refund if not!

SPECIFICATIONS

CABLE - Whirlwind WCAT5E ruggedized CAT-5e cable, 8 cond. 24 GA UTP,
    238 O.D., PVC jacket
    CONNECTORS - Neutrik NE8MC-B ETHERCON

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/pre-...con-connectors

Notice - This is a UTP cable and rather costly but worth it if it stands up to weekly road use and abuse.

It would be nice if someone from Behringer could give us a little assistance with this. Like you say STP or UTP - what is recommended?
    I wouldn't use an unshielded twisted pair cable on a stage with PAR lights and other stuff that can cause electro-magnetic interference. There is no downside to using STP (or even SSTP) cables.

I have since received a reply from Music Group Services:

Dear Jim Taylor,

Thank you for your message. The suggested CAT5e from your Rep would work very well. We have no documented recommendations of Ethernet cable for our products but the Belden will work wonderfully.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

MCKNIGHT Chase
    Junior Administrator, Technical Support
    MUSIC Group Services NV Inc.

I have purchased 200 feet of the Whirlwind EtherCon Cable and have used it twice without any problem

Yippee ... this week was like Christmas morning all over.

My two S16 units and the Link Eurocable multi-signal snake were delivered.

The Link cable has 12/3 power, two Cat6 runs, and two digital audio pair on a nice reel.

http://www.linkusa-inc.com/
    Bob

hey Bob, what did you pay for that cable on a reel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast