You are here: Home » Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which wireless routers work?

I've had good luck with any router except for the Airport Express.

I am currently using a Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD. I want to get an Ubiquity PicoStation M2-HP. These both have very high transmit power (1000mW). I like the form-factor of the PicoStation because it should be easy to mount on a stand to get it above peoples' heads.

It seems that if you reboot the Airport Express after the X32 has booted, all works fine (at least for me).

I use Airport Express too, but I have one issue. It "looks" for internet and mutes for a second every 30 seconds or so, I like to send audio thru it from the iPad, so that disrupts the music. Have you had that issue or do I have some setting wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim Bork View Post
    Hi @ all,

I use the TP-Link Nano router TL-WR702N and it works perfect. One thing for Behringer engineering:

If the USB port would be type A with power supply, this kind of router could work without its own power adapter, this would be a great thing ... Just one one short patch cable, all set up

Best regards, Joachim
    Can you tell me how you configured this router? Is it in AP, Bridge or Client mode? I can't seem to figure out what settings I need to make this thing go... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Naples View Post
    Can you tell me how you configured this router? Is it in AP, Bridge or Client mode? I can't seem to figure out what settings I need to make this thing go... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent
    Out of those three options it sounds like you'll need to use AP with manual address assigned since there's probably no DHCP (router mode).
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

I run a localized router for just the board, qlab machine, my laptop and the sound designers laptop. its an old linksys wrt54g that has been reflashed with Tomato firmware. Works great. Board/qlab machine on Ethernet. my laptop and designers come in and connect to it wifi. The router has mac address blocking so the qlab machine doesn't have internet access but we can VNC into it for file transfer and remote programming of the shows. It also works with Ipads/iphone and my android tablet quite well. Its not a high bandwidth router but i havent had a problem yet, an changing the firmware to Tomato means i have more flexibility with it. Change transmitting power through the antennas if i want on top of all the other QOS/Priority bandwidth settings. Regardless of the type of router you get, make it localized/hidden SSID/password-ed and only allow your board/playback machine and design team access, and i HIGHLY recommend locking out the playback machine from the internet, it wont randomly look up system updates and the like that way.

Luke

[QUOTE=Joachim Bork;1940]Hi @ all,

"I use the TP-Link Nano router TL-WR702N and it works perfect,"

I have this router, but can't seem to figure out which mode to set it to. Can you elaborate on how you configured your router? Thanks much

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Peter van Gils View Post
    It seems that if you reboot the Airport Express after the X32 has booted, all works fine (at least for me).
    How are you configuring the airport express? I also have one of these I can't seem to get talking to my board, but my linksys is a cinch. I'm sure it has something to do with the WLAN vs. LAN sharing of the same ethernet connector. I have the first generation one, is it possible to connect those to the x32 reliably?

i have used three different routers (i have a milk crate full of network junk) netgear, d-link, and belkin. all three are a few years old and dont have the latest/greatest-super-hi-speed connection. just ordinary inexpensive wireless routers. be sure you connect the desk to the router ports (usually 1~4), NOT the 'internet' port of your router. easy-peasy.
    once is set the router up at my desktop with a simple name and password i simply plug it into the X-32 and connect with iPads/iPhones etc.. it has been so easy (in my experience) the ONLY sticky issue with bandmembers running thier IEM monitor mixes has been setting a router name, password, and network address that is easy to remember.

in fact, the very first time i connected my iPhone to the mixer, i unplugged/disconnected the web router from my house (a typical cable company internet service that plugged into a d-link wireless router) and plugged it into the X-32 and boom! once i set the address of the mixer into the X32-Q app i was connected and 'working it"

for example, i use:
    router name: X-32 behringer mixer
    ip address: 168.192.1.123
    password: Xthirty2
    Last edited by tom woods; 10-08-2013 at 06:25 AM.

I spec'd an Asus RT-n66u for the system I replaced the x32 with. For the past 9 weeks, it has been flawless 7 nights/week. To be fair, no other devices are on the network, and I tweaked the output power on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands up to about 2/3 or 3/4 of max as I was concerned with potential range issues, but it's proven to be a good decision.
    If I were to spec a router for a system today, I would not hesitate to go with this one again, or it's newer, faster sibling, the RT-n66ac for when several devices are on the system, like when talent has access to monitor mixes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123