You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel Sends - MUTE functionality

Channel Sends - MUTE functionality

I use my first 6 sends as IEM's for the band. Problem is, when the channels are muted, so are the IEM sends. Would really work better for us if the IEM's are live even when the input channels are muted. (those sends are all configured PRE by the way) Things worked this way on my previous board and the X32 blows that one away so..... Somebody please give me the solution here. Thanks.

Assign the channels to a DCA or multiple DCAs and then use the DCA fader(s) or mute(s) to mute the FOH signal while leaving the pre-fader IEM signals on. We once had a Mackie console on which the channel mute didn't mute the aux sends. I found that to be a royal PITA.

It should be an option to enable or disable the muting of the P16 outputs. Yes you can use DCA's but it would seem logical to leave the P16 on even when the rest of the system is muted.

Eric Eskam
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopdaddy View Post
    It should be an option to enable or disable the muting of the P16 outputs.
    Along with toggling the mute groups to act as they do now or how they traditionally do on analog boards. Muting certainly is one area that I'm hoping for some future firmware love!

Muting channels on X32 also mutes P16 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Koopman View Post
    It should be an option to enable or disable the muting of the P16 outputs. Yes you can use DCA's but it would seem logical to leave the P16 on even when the rest of the system is muted.

We had the same problem. When muting the X32 channels, the P16 also got muted. That's not very logical. The reason why people are using IEMs is so that the mix can be independent of the musician IEM. And the P16M allows musicians to have total control over the stage operations.

Subsequently when we did that, our musicians thought the system was cutting out, when in actual fact we were doing mutes on the X32.

humhead
    This is EXACTLY how a channel mute is supposed to work. If you want to only mute the channel to the house, you need to route differently and mute that routing, NOT the individual channel.

If your IEM send is pre fader, then mute the associated DCA's. This also mutes all associated post fader feeds, such as front fills, delays, effects, etc., while leaving the IEM feed untouched. The X32 has 8 DCA's.

I don't see a reason WHY the channel mute HAS to work that way. If it was an analog board, I can understand why, but with DSP technology, it doesn't have to be that way. It should be as flexible as possible.

Scenario
    ~~~~~

When we do sound check, there's most likely the situation that musicians are messing around with their instruments, so we would like Solo channels of interest to the FOH so that we can do an EQ - I'd want to EQ for the FOH and not Monitors at the end of the day, because that's what the audience hears.

However the X32 only allows Solos to affect the Monitors, so we had to do the reverse which was to Mute the rest of the channels.

But now that we've integrated the P16 system into our X32 setup, our channel Mute also affects the P16 channels.

Any of you guys have a better solution ???

Or maybe there should have been a Solo to FOH in the first place???

If you want to solo a single channel on PA, this would be SIP ( solo in place ) which can be a tricky little button if hit by accident. This was the reason that most manufactures of analog desks had some sort of safety function, either by hiding the button under a little plastic cap or you had to push a certain button for several seconds to activate the function. A work around on X32 would be:Make a mute group for all input channels. If you now want to hear a certain channel solo on PA hit the all mute button and then unmute the desired channel, so it is a two hit operation. If you need the IEM feeds to stay live, then the described way of humhead is the way to go: Assign your channels to DCA and mute the DCA. If you not used to mix with DCAs, then just do 1 all channel DCA to have the FOH mute function. This is by the way the normal way on a A&H iLive system. It has no mute groups, but 16 DCAs. But again - check the mighty possibilities of using DCAs - you soon won`t miss it anymore.
    kind regards, Till

Thanks Till, that may be another resort.

But Behringer could just force the user to HOLD a button and depress a SOLO button on a channel simultaneously as a sort of a safety feature. That would save lots of DCA and MUTE groups ... and also minimise the steps to perform the same function ...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyjoepass View Post
    However the X32 only allows Solos to affect the Monitors, so we had to do the reverse which was to Mute the rest of the channels.

Any of you guys have a better solution ???

Or maybe there should have been a Solo to FOH in the first place???
    I haven't actually tried this, but I would imagine that if you assign your main outs (out 15&16) to Monitor L&R instead of Main L&R, and select LR Bus as Monitor Source, you will be able to Solo to mains

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast