You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Noise Questions

Pink Noise Questions

I have searched this forum and youtube about how to use pink noise to ring out our sanctuary on our X32 (v. 2.06). I've read an article by Evan and it was helpful but I still need some beginning steps that I cannot find answers to, hence this post.

1. How do you select and generate pink noise on the X32 to start the process? Do you need a mic and if so, do you just plug it into a empty channel?
    2. Are you using pink noise to eq just on the main LR outs or do you do this for each channel?
    3. How do I know what frequencies that I need to cut or raise?
    4. I've read about the RTA/graph and again I'm not sure how to implement this with the pink noise. Before or after?

I feel I just need to start with these questions before I ask others. I checked out SMAART but they have two different programs V.7 and V.7 Di. Not sure what to buy and then I'm not sure how to implement this into my X32. I use a mac.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg,

There's a thread on this forum - http://forum.behringer.com/showthrea...and-Pink-noise

You may find some help there, or there are multiple articles on the www on the subject as well (for example: http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm) adapting what you read to your equipment.

Keep in mind the "best result" is what your ears tell you and not necessarily the best measurement/electrical adjustment.

Hope this helps,
    -Patrick

Patrick-Gilles,
    Thanks for the link.

I've re-read it but I'm having problems not knowing how to use the pink noise generator in the monitor section? How do I insert an EQ to "overlay" on the mains and then what frequencies to cut. I'm lost.

I've tried to use my mic with the explanation of the article you linked to but I have too many frequencies than just the 6 I have control over on the mains that are causing problems. Again, not sure how to overlay the 31 band eq (and what eq for that matter).

Greg,

>>not knowing how to use the pink noise generator in the monitor section? How do I insert an EQ to "overlay"
    >>on the mains and then what frequencies to cut

Go to the monitor/oscillator section and select "pink noise" . Hit Generate (1st dial) and set the level to a value, say -21db. The noise level will show on the vu-meter. Make sure your MAIN fader is set to -oo. Still in the monitor/oscillator screen, use the rightmost dial to assign the output to L+R, click on the dial to validate. Move slowly the MAIN fader... Pink noise in the speakers.

Select the main (L+R) channel, select the Home screen, and hit INSERT (3rd dial), this enables effect insert.

Select the Effect screen and for FX5, select type GEQ2 (5th dial) and Insert LR (1st dial) push on 1st dial to enable the insert, L and R are automatically assigned. You can select a different type of EQ (Dual TrueEQ for example).

The GEQ is now an insert in your L+R line. The Pink noise generated in the oscillator section goes through the GEQ. Modify the dials/faders on the GEQ to hear the difference in sound from you speakers. Remember on the Dual versions of the EQ, there are two pages... L and R are assigned section A and B of the EQ, respectively. Changes you make in A are not automatically pushed to B.

Using this and an RTA can help level the frequency response of a room.

Hope this helps,
    -Patrick

Ok...thanks for the instructions...I know it took some time to write it out and I'm grateful.

Some observations and questions:
    1. I can get the pink noise to come through but all I'm seeing is basically blue and green on the graph. I'm not sure how to read it to know what to cut?
    2. When I went back to my mic and the RTA on channel 13(the open one I had and no eq), I started turning up the gain on my mic and I was able to notch out of the LR mains, by way of 31 band eq, the problem feedback frequencies. I then use the LR Main eq (the one with 6) to fine tune the rest of the problem frequencies.

I'm not sure if that's how you're suppose to ring it out or not?

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Greg Warren; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:46 PM.

Hey Greg,

If you are seeing colors (blue and green), you probably have it set to show the spectrograph type RTA. You may want to change that to the traditional RTA in the Meters, RTA screen. This will show the levels (in blue) of the 31 bands and might be easier to interpret.

Paul

Use parametric anywhere you can, as a graphic cuts a lot that you usually don't need to cut.

Greg,

Paul and Tim 's notes are valid. Switching to bar vs. spectrograph will make it easier to interpret/see the frequencies to cut.
    I also much prefer using parametric over graphical EQ, generally more effective and faster to setup.

Now if you have "a lot" of frequencies to notch out, it may be more effective to address this in treating the room (absorbers, reflectors, etc. ... assuming you can) and not trying to kill your sound.

-Patrick

Ok...I used the RTA by parametric and notched out our feedback frequencies on the system side by way of the 31 band and the 6 on the eq page on the mains...when we practiced with the band last night...not good...1 of the vocal mics sounded really good but most (8) did not and the instruments sounded bad as well. We did not have time last night to re-eq individual channels. My question is, before we spend hours re-eqing, since we have so many frequencies causing us problems on the system side should I invest in treating the room? And if so, where do you find help doing that? I have no clue where to get started. I've googled acoustic room treatment, but most of the articles talk about that you need to but no guide as to how you select and position them.

Having more than 4-6 problematic frequences with low GBF suggests that you need to move some speakers around or treat the room.
    x32, x32-rack, s16, p16, iNuke 6000dsp, deq2496, dxc2496, src2496, misc other behringer gear, StudioLive 24, StudioOne Pro, Cubase 4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast