You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using X32 Rack for X32 Fullsize

using X32 Rack for X32 Fullsize

Hi All,

recently I asked around what it would cost to have a multicore connection (12 channels balanced) from my fullsize x32 to my rack.
    either Harting, Socapex, LK,etc.
    all these options cost almost the same as a X32 Rack..

therefor my question:
    Is it possible to reroute the X32 rack to Aux 1 - 6 and use the in/outs on the x32 rack to connect my outboard gear?

when I have a bit of time with my consoles I can try it, but maybe somebody tried it already...

thnx!

Hi Robert,

I'm not completely clear what exactly you are trying to accomplish. But I don't see why the X32 Rack can't be configured to connect your outboard gear and send the signals to the X32 via ASE50. Have a look at the various configurations that I posted on the X32 Wiki.
    http://x32wiki.music-group.com/index...k_Specific_FAQ

Paul

Paul - not sure if this is the same thing, but - I tried this already and it is dang strange. You have to redirect the Aux to a AES block #1 and then start inputs with block 2 for CH 1-8 and so on. It does work, but my confusion started when I went to find the HA for CH1. It was at CH9. I did not like it so I did not redirect the AUX from the Rack to FOH console.

If only the AUX redirect let you select block 33 to 40 it would be OK.

Yes that is correct, Glenn. Whatever you want assigned to the input Aux In Remap, has to be assigned to the first block of the AES50 at the sending end (eg. X32 Rack). It has to do with the limitations of the receiving end of the AES50 (eg. X32 full console) Aux In Remap. If the Aux In Remap could be updated in a firmware release to receive more than the first 6 inputs of the first block, then you could assign to any block of 8.

Paul

Robert, what you are planning to do shouldn't be a problem at all. At the X32Rack end, it will be slightly easier to route if you can use the XLR outputs and don't need them for anything else.

i'v only had to do this once
    and no p16's were involved

if you use 41-48 for the first pre's
    and leave the rest alone it takes fewer brain cells

i spent decades being the 'patch guy'
    not necessarily by choice

i always went for the fewest strays from 1:1

...saves a ton of time if you have a failure

fwiw

what I'm trying to accomplish:
    I want to put a X32 Rack in my FX rack, so I don't have clunky multicore cables at FOH and a backup plan in case my X32 does fail.
    I only use it for the aux in/outs..
    Now I use a dinky toy multicore to connect the aux ins/outs to my outboard gear (all as inserts)

I don't want to lose in/outs on the desk itself, because input wise it's full for my current show.
    (I have a few outputs left)

more clear now?

I'm not exactly seeing how you could do it and save much remotely. The 'insert' function implies you use both aux in and aux out simultaneously and to a signal already present. To use your outboard fx as inserts (from physical aux in/aux outs) on the rack?-that part easy. To get a signal or a conglomerate of them to an effect you have to first send it to the rack from the full desk, apply the effect and send it back processed to the full desk. Getting it to the rack to apply the insert is fairly easy, but getting back signals once processed still requires at least 6 inputs somewhere on the full console, even if able via AES50-assuming 6 outboard devices. Doesn't save you any ch's less than if you insert on the full desk without the rack to start with...and a lot more confusion.

On the FOH X32:
    ROUTING - aes50a - Outputs 1-8 - Aux1-6/Mon
    ROUTING - home - Aux in Remap - AES50A1-6

On the X32Rack:
    ROUTING - home - Inputs 1-8 - AES50A1-8
    ROUTING - aux out - (AUX out 1 - DirOut ch01 - IN/LC) repeat for 6 channels
    ROUTING - aes50a - Outputs 1-8 - AuxIn1-6/TB

Alternatively if you want to use XLR i/o on the X32Rack:

ROUTING - xlr out - (Outputs 1-4 - AES50A1-4) repeat for 5-8
    ROUTING - aes50a - Outputs1-8 - Local 1-8
    Last edited by Per Sovik; 08-12-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike horn View Post
    i'v only had to do this once
    and no p16's were involved

if you use 41-48 for the first pre's
    and leave the rest alone it takes fewer brain cells

i spent decades being the 'patch guy'
    not necessarily by choice

i always went for the fewest strays from 1:1

...saves a ton of time if you have a failure

fwiw
    Nice solution Mike - I like. I only have a few cells left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast