You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Connecting a Midas M32 to a Behringer X32

It is a fish named fowl, wearing a couple of feathers.
    Functionally it is an X32 in every way.

Obviously, using it in a X32 environment in a way that is not utilizing the preamps and outputs, means that one is paying that extra cash only to have snazzier design and somewhat better fader feel, thus if anyone believe that the Midas preamps makes a difference, they would make sure to utilize them.
    Last edited by Per Sovik; 08-04-2014 at 05:41 AM.

It's gonna be hard to know the facts from new owners (including a potential me). If I drop the cash for an M32 instead of nearly 2 X's or 4 racks...I'll be singing the praises of those amazing Midas pre's and how much better they sound than my....um...Midas designed preamps...count on it!

Quote Originally Posted by gary higgins View Post
    Its a fishfowl!....Midas M32 site says it's SuperMac...also says open architecture for future 96k updates.
    Then you would think it would connect to both the X32 and the S16....

Does that mean they will come out with a Midas-badged S16?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mortensen View Post
    About 2/3 the way down on the M32 description (http://www.midasconsoles.com/Products/M32.aspx), it does mention this to be the case.
    The MIDAS DL16 digital stage box closes the gap between stage and FOH (Front of House) by placing 16 fully-programmable, remotely controllable high-end MIDAS mic preamps and 8 analogue, balanced XLR returns at the stage end.
    Paul

The X32's use SuperMac, which is at 48k sampling rate, while the Midas uses HyperMac, which is 96k. I don't know if the M32 is fish or fowl.
    It actually uses Super Mac on most Midas gear it uses 96k at 24channels per run to the boxes. (Plus one extra as they use an N+1 redunancy). Some of the stage boxes are adjustable from 96k to 48k the problem is to date the firmware only allows you to grab the first 24ch (or whichever 24ch port you plug into) with an X32/M32 until they make a firmware to allow the ports to pull audio from all when at 48k, or they make some kind of combiner.

Midas consoles work in a slightly different way They have the Pro 3/6/9/X control surface than have the Stage DSP Rack which only connects to the console with an X & Y Cat5. Then the DSP rack connects to the remote IO Rack using 1 cable per 24 channels of use.

http://www.midasconsoles.com/Products/DL16.aspx

I notice the Ultranet port now is a ethercon so it may need there is a Midas P-16 Monitor system with ethercon's as well.

Personally I'd like to see the P16 port on the Stage snake systems/Consoles either be P-16 routed from the consoles config for audio or and option to switch it to a Ethernet 100mb/10mb (which ever it will support along side the audio) pass through for standard data. With most things form DSP, AMPs, Powered Line arrays etc having networking for controls these days it would be nice instead of running a separate cat5 just for setup.
    Last edited by Jason Finnigan; 08-04-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    Midas consoles work in a slightly different way They have the Pro 3/6/9/X control surface than have the Stage DSP Rack which only connects to the console with an X & Y Cat5. Then the DSP rack connects to the remote IO Rack using 1 cable per 24 channels of use.
    The Pro 1 and Pro 2 do not have separate DSP - just surface and stage box(es). But they are 96k like the others, and as such cannot be interfaced with X32 (or entry level M32).

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Padrick View Post
    The Pro 1 and Pro 2 do not have separate DSP - just surface and stage box(es). But they are 96k like the others, and as such cannot be interfaced with X32 (or entry level M32).
    True. But we were talking about the Stage boxes being able to interface with the X32/M32 not the other Midas consoles talking to the X32/M32. Without using a Newtwork converter/Media bridge the X32 will never talk to a Midas console. The stage boxes on the other hand already can be changed to 48k on some firmware versions but, there is still the issue of it being 24channels per connection which is why people have gotten them to work, but only using 24channels at a time. Maybe you could get all connections using both AES50 Ports, with some routing but I'm not sure. That would also prevent you from having a digital Split though.

The Midas 24ch limit per port is owing to it running at 96k. One assumes (oh oh) that at 48k the limit would double.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Padrick View Post
    The Midas 24ch limit per port is owing to it running at 96k. One assumes (oh oh) that at 48k the limit would double.
    It doubles the limit in the AES50 world, but the ports are currently configured to only be patched to a certain bank of 24 on the stage boxes at this point even with the firmware that supports 48k. I've been told they might fix this. But it's currently unclear if this is something that can be changed in old boxes by firmware or this is a physical limitation of how the electrics/bussing of the stage boxes was made (since they didn't make them with 48k in mind originally)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast