You are here: Home » Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X32 is impressive. 1 problem, cannot run +5dbv input signal without distortion...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard YClark View Post
    No losses whatsoever in changing digital ones and noughts into LED light flashes. You don't even have to have your optical cable plugged fully into it's socket for it to still work flawlessly.
    In order to really measure the difference between an ADAT rig like mine and some other interfaces I would need a signal split from the source into both rigs and A/B them. I have always thought ADAT sounded pretty good. But once you get over 48k the difference is very small. And for a considerable payment in processing bandwidth. Still fun stuff to compare. I guess the alternative would be some AD converters with a built in firewire, usb, HD-Card etc? I'd like to direct compare a Firewire rig running at 192k vs ADAT running at 48k.

Oh yea, back on original topic. I ran 2 sets of Stereo channel Returns from my DAW. One with the incoming source as an insert and the other through the trim with it at zero. I A/B them, and they are identical. So no noticeable "coloring" of the ADAT input by the trim section of the channel.........

Digital transmission is much more robust than analog in terms of quality in vs out. Quite simply, it either makes it or not. Clocking and buffering on the receiving end takes care of timing issues. If you miss data you will get degredation of the signal but it often affects the ability to clock the signal as well and you tend to get full on drop outs rather than subtle distortions of the signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Philip View Post
    Oh yea, back on original topic. I ran 2 sets of Stereo channel Returns from my DAW. One with the incoming source as an insert and the other through the trim with it at zero. I A/B them, and they are identical. So no noticeable "coloring" of the ADAT input by the trim section of the channel.........
    Are you still having the distortion though? What kind of cables are you using? The balanced TRS should have +16dBu (+13.8 dBv) max input level, take 6dB off for unbalanced input. The phono plugs might have a lower max level, have never checked.
    Are you sure about the output level, the Apogee interfaces typically go to +24 dBu ?

Quote Originally Posted by Per Sovik View Post
    Are you still having the distortion though? What kind of cables are you using? The balanced TRS should have +16dBu (+13.8 dBv) max input level, take 6dB off for unbalanced input. The phono plugs might have a lower max level, have never checked.
    Are you sure about the output level, the Apogee interfaces typically go to +24 dBu ?
    The apogee is an AD16. Its running my AD, via ADAT output, to my Firewire Interface (Profire). Then the ADAT Lightpipe out of Profire into the x32 for Playback. So, no more distortion!

This makes way more sense than running from my old DA (personus) out through analog lines into the x32, as to avoid going through a second round of AD to DA inside the x32.

So now its just digital into the x32 and analog out to monitiors.

Of course Im limited to 48k playback :/
    Guess there's a trade off for everything..........
    Last edited by Ricky Philip; 08-07-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123