You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: Please recommend a mixerboard for podcastig WITH Skype calls

Please recommend a mixerboard for podcastig WITH Skype calls

Hi,
    I need suggestion for my podcasting setup. I own a Behringer QX1002USB mixer, works fine for phantom up my Behringer B-1 but still doesn't do all the job so I'm looking for a replacement which also will be a Behringer (I have seen the X1622USB).

My setup have became too complicated when I need to switch Skype calls, therefore I added a external sound card which redirect I/O channels as I wish. Even if I have fun doing my stuff with some music in the background and talking with friends over the internet, the hardest part is keeping an eye on everything at the same time. I'm of course a hobbiest so I haven't hired someone on the controls. Notice that I also have to mix the music live with help of the DJ-controller.

Finally, I have to say that I record the show simultaneously on the PC and an external recorder.

I didn't even imagine it that way, I prefer much simplier stuff (I like to play around with cables and connections though ). The problem is actually the skype calls, not when the conversation is in the air and being recorded, but when I and my friends are still talking "off the record" while the music track is running. In other words: I need one mixer that allows me redirect either our skype conversations or the music. In each scenary the setup would be able to:

1. Output the music (always on) to an exterl recorder or Audicity
    2. Keep the conversation going (always on for us, hosts) but not necessarily for record proposes (the audience).

This looks simple at once but, as I've said, it can turn into an inferno scenario. I like to do my stuff live, that is why an editable show could be much straight forward.

My question is: which Behringer mixerboard would do the job? I suppose that any that have subgroups with subgroups outputs? Have these mixerboards just one driver or several so I could have more control over specifical I/O channels?

Thank you very much
    Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Welcome to the forum. Most any other mixer that Behringer makes would probably be an upgrade to the QX1002USB. I would agree that one with subgroups would definitely help you with the various redirections you need. What kind of budget are you looking at? I could recommend a number of possibilities. But they may be more than what you want to spend.

Paul

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for replying. I would able to spend up to 200 euros. More expensive models could be overkill. In the case the mixerboard has subgrups, does it come with one only driver anyway? I can easily assign I/O channels on my external soundcard because it has several devices seen on Windows sound panel. Will one of these mixerboards work in the same way?

Oscar

Hi Oscar,
    As far as I know most mixer USB drivers would come with a single instance of drivers (stereo). That said, the UFX1204 and UFX1604 allows 16 channels going to the computer (and 4 ch return). Unfortunately the UFX1204 is listing at Sweetwater for $400US, which would probably be above your max.

If you did have a mixer with subgroups (not Alt, which do not function in the same manner as subgroups), you could do as you suggested and run an audio cable from the subgroup out to the external soundcard.

Paul

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for your quick answer.
    I cannot download and test those drivers because I don't have the device with me (plug the device into the PC is mandatory at some point of the process, so that's why I'm asking) So... there are not mixerboard with several drivers at that price tag? I've seen that sweety UFX1604... I think that UF is for a reason, hahaha.

That's interesting... So what would be the differences between ALT and Subgroups? I'm looking for something that allow me keep my Skype call either off the record (internally, just for me and my podcast friend) and on the air as well as the music is keeping going.

I actually can do all this but it is tedious; I need to swich back and forward with the mouse on the screen where I see the external sound card interface... which in the other hand has no shortcuts or MIDI inputs.

Oscar

Come to think of it Oscar, maybe the ALT might work for you after all. Proper subgroups allow and/or of routing to the Main LR and/or a subgroup. The ALT only provides the OR (sending to Main LR or the ALT bus). If you are switching between the 2 output busses and don't need them to goto both at the same time, then the ALT will work. But that will still mean you will need to send an audio cable from the ALT out to the external soundcard, since the USB is only connected to the Main LR.

Paul

I have tested the 1622FX and it's pretty much what I was looking for.I have another question: the X1622USB model comes with one driver only (for the MAIN OUT) or two independently each other (one for MAIN OUT, one for SUB) as many external sound cards do these days??? That is crucial information in my case.

PS: After too much Google searching I now realize that what I was looking for is a USB mixer 2/2 (two outs/two ins). The Behringer X1222 seems to be the chosen one BUT it only has one driver available for MAIN OT
    Last edited by Oscar Fuentes; 07-31-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: New information has been added