You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use just one s 16?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Martin View Post
    Glenn, don't we still need to run 2 Cat5e snakes with 2.06 to have control of the mic pres at FOH? In my current config using an X32-Full, an X32-Rack, and a single s16 (with the X32-Rack as channels 17-32) I had to run two snakes to FOH to get control of mic pres there. Behringer support also told me I would still have to run a 2nd snake in v.2.06. Is that correct? Your reference to v1.15 has me a bit confused.

Thanks in advance . . .

(Btw, still waiting for a 2nd S16--back ordered--but the intent is to have the S16s for analog stage inputs 1-32 w/ X32-Rack connected to analog stage inputs 33-48. The "analog stage inputs" refer to a 48x24 stage snake system for wiring our stages.)
    Nope, V2 firmware added support to be able to remote control preamps from ANY X32 on the AES50 network. This includes Pre-amps on other X32's (such as the rack) as well.
    You just select the required AES50 channels when routing inputs.

Daniel, I can't remember exactly what the problem was when we configured the system but a second snake cable from the FOH console (AES50B) to the S16 (AES50B) had to be added to get preamp control from FOH. This was also the instructions from support in Las Vegas. I will try to find my notes to find out exactly why we had to add the 2nd snake. I was also under the impression that our configuration would only require 1 Cat5e snake run but we couldn't seem to get around it. Obviously I am not understanding something! I would really like to get back to 1 snake instead of 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Martin View Post
    Daniel, I can't remember exactly what the problem was when we configured the system but a second snake cable from the FOH console (AES50B) to the S16 (AES50B) had to be added to get preamp control from FOH. This was also the instructions from support in Las Vegas. I will try to find my notes to find out exactly why we had to add the 2nd snake. I was also under the impression that our configuration would only require 1 Cat5e snake run but we couldn't seem to get around it. Obviously I am not understanding something! I would really like to get back to 1 snake instead of 2!
    It used to be in V1 that only the 1st X32 connected to an s16 could control the pre-amps so you needed to have the FOH console connected to the S16 and then another cable back to the monitor X32 from the FOH console so that the FOH console could control the preamps.
    V2 added new featured for using 2 X32's together.

Hey Anthony, it might have been the issue of when you were talking to Las Vegas and what firmware you were currently using. As Daniel mentioned the remote preamp control was introduced in 2.0 and I don't think it was working reliably until 2.02 was released (Feb I believe). It works very well now with just one cat5. On the secondary (or slave) X32 (the one with the preamps you want to be able to control remotely), goto the setup, preamps screen, bottom right corner, HA Remote section - select the AES50 Port A or AES50 Port B (whichever the cat5 is connected). That should allow the other X32 (master, etc) to control those preamps remotely.

Paul

We were working with 2.05 at the time. I do plan to go back and revisit the issue but it will be a few days. There was one particular thing that required running the 2nd Cat5e but I cannot remember what is was right now. Once I get back into it, I will PM you and you can point out how I could have configured it differently. As best that I can recall, it was due to using the X32-Rack as an stage box (#3), assigning it to inputs 33-48 (in the 48-channel AES model), placing the X32-Rack outputs where I needed to place them, but still maintain HA control at FOH. I will PM you next week.

Sounds like a great exercise, Anthony. The more we can hash these scenarios out (and document them), the more we all benefit from the experience and knowledge.

Paul

in multiple console setup, I let the monitor engineer (or me if it's me) control the headamps.
    Changing a headamp from FOH can cause serious problems in monitor world..
    It's easier for a FOH guy to hear the changes in headamps because he only mixes (mainly) one zone, monitor engineer sometimes up to 12 or 16...
    Don't forget, Headamp control at monitor world still gives the FOH guy/girl some room with the trim.

This not only makes the job easier, but also easier (only 1 cable)

Robert, I would agree that in most situations setting HA gain from the monitor console would make the most sense for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, in my case, the monitor engineer (and principal owner) would rather have me assign initial HA gain from FOH but that does present its own set of problems. Actually most FOH engineers we have encountered who do not travel with their own monitor engineer are somewhat reluctant to give up control of HA gain to someone they have not worked with before.

Usually the monitors are "making noise" well before I am @ FOH so I have to make sure that I have fully prepped my console (at least HA gain) prior to that or it will present serious problems in monitors when I later change HA gain @ the FOH console. At the least, it requires thorough planning and coordination whichever choice is made for control of HA gain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12