You are here: Home » Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: panning a singer across front wedge mixes

Metallica moves their monitor mixes around a lot, I would try a web search to see if there are some tips to be had from their monitor engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Sovik View Post
    Metallica moves their monitor mixes around a lot, I would try a web search to see if there are some tips to be had from their monitor engineers.
    They have 2 guys running monitors.

Aside from "Star Wars"-esque multi-dimensional pan pot, why wouldn't this work . . .
    Assume for now that have four (4) wedges mixes across the front of the stage (Mixes 1, 2, 3, 4) with your "Star" in Mix 1.
    Assume that you set up your mixes and channels for unity gain, meaning that you are running your faders essentially at "0"
    You have four vocalists (Chan 29, 30, 31, 32) with your "Star" in Channel 32.
    If you have set up your channels & mixes correctly (and amp/ monitors are set up correctly for unity gain) then back your input gain back around 3 dB for your star vocal (Chan 32) and then go into the "Sends on Fader" mode and select Chan 32 (with the right-hand output faders set to Bus 1-8). It shouldn't matter whether you run your channel sends pre- or post-fader (btw, some monitor engineers do run their monitor consoles post-fader).
    You should be able to push the Mix 1 fader up to +3 or so and get your level back in the star mix. As you little "Star Pod" runs around the stage try pushing his mix fader up +3 or so in every mix he runs into, lowering the previous mix by +3.
    Of course, there are a few of assumptions here.
    1) If he runs around a lot, then his vocal is already pretty hot in all the mixes (or the other band members think he's arrogant).
    2) You assume he wants to be brought up as he moves around--he's probably already hot in the other mixes.
    3) You assume that the other vocalists want to lose their mix as he moves next to them--probably not!

If he (or she) is insistent on not using ears and they actually do want more levels as they move around, then you might want to seriously add side fills and put that "star" well into that mix.

I've toured and run monitors (as well as FOH) for a number Grammy Award-winning international recording acts on many, many concert stages for a number of years and there is one resounding reality that I am aware of . . . don't ever point out a problem that the artist is not aware of (or to a scenario I have "created" which no one else knows exists but to which I have the "solution"). The artist depends on you and you are pointing out something that should be better. The artist begins to lose faith in you and starts to second-guess you and the monitor set-up. Unless the artist specifically points it out as a problem that he (or she) can't hear as they move around, then re-visit the IEMs or the side fills but I would only consider the method I suggested above as a temporary solution until you convince them to go with IEMs or that "Star" has won a number of Grammys and all the other musicians are essentially "hired musicians!"

Seriously, I've learned that it's better to leave well-enough alone or it will tend to come back on me.

What you could do, providing you are able to set the mixes at the soundcheck, is to have four snippets, one for each position and the recall snippets as he moves around. Just make four snippets, and assign each one to a user button.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Sovik View Post
    What you could do, providing you are able to set the mixes at the soundcheck, is to have four snippets, one for each position and the recall snippets as he moves around. Just make four snippets, and assign each one to a user button.
    Probable the best option for this issue yet. Nice one Per, as always.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234