You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: panning a singer across front wedge mixes

I am lucky Jeff, it's just me on channel one, playback channel 11/12, and I stand forward a bit so I can hear the foh, as I have no mons.

Sometimes it would be nice to have some names written on masking tape between 2 and 10

Quote Originally Posted by kev tyler View Post
    I am lucky Jeff, it's just me on channel one, playback channel 11/12, and I stand forward a bit so I can hear the foh, as I have no mons.

Sometimes it would be nice to have some names written on masking tape between 2 and 10

When you get your X Air and X8 mini you will have to post a you tube of your show Kev.

When I have a vocalist that likes to move around alot, I've found that putting that vocalist in the sidefills solves many problems. If I wasn't running sidefills at the time, it might be a reason to consider putting them in place. Trying to pan a vocalist's mic input across the stage as they move always seems to create more problems than it addresses--especially for the other musicians who have a difficult time adjusting to the changing levels.

Perhaps a good use of duct tape would be to tape the monitors to their feet! They could hear their wedges as they drag them across the stage!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Martin View Post
    Perhaps a good use of duct tape would be to tape the monitors to their feet! They could hear their wedges as they drag them across the stage!
    Shoe Wedges, Foot Monitors, Sneaker Speakers

I think the solution is IEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Broughton View Post
    ...I think you are looking for a solution to a "problem" you are creating.
    +1

what ever happened to "touch the button and smile"? i suggest you don't bother with it. i suppose if whoever the heck this performer is wants to pay my nights wages to have me 'follow' his mix to-and-fro... i'll do it, but c'mon now...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Adams View Post
    Shoe Wedges, Foot Monitors, Sneaker Speakers

I think the solution is IEM.
    Yes, Glenn. Absolutely! Unfortunately, it was already posted that they were against IEM. Just tape the wedges to their feet and give him all the attention he is asking for! I like that . . . shoe wedges!

You know that 4 mics stuck together would have worked just fine.
    2 forward and 2 backward to eliminate feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sloan View Post
    One day I and my crew (son) decided that we were doing the 6 monitors with only 1 monitor mix shared across all 6 speakers, and told all the bands, " You all have only one mix, deal with it."
    We have found that works so much better for all the bands, and for us. We started getting complements instead of complaints from the musicians. Because they all get everyone in their mix, they start working more as a team and work with each other,
    Jeff, I completely agree with this approach. As an engineer, I always struggled with keeping track of who is in what wedge without having enough soundcheck time to get it just right, and would occasionally tweak the wrong mix. (until I got an X32 with sends on fader, scribble strips, and motorized faders of course) That can be hell for the band. As far as I'm concerned, sucks to be you for the guy who wandered away from his personal wedge after wasting 1 to 20 minutes having me tweak it the way he wants it.

However, I am also a performer. My group does tight harmonies with 4 vocalists, each song has a different person on lead. (No it's not barbershop, it's classic rock) Because we don't hire an engineer, and I mix from stage while I'm playing, having one monitor mix only (post fader) has been critical to us for knowing where each one of us is in the mix for any particular song. Yes it definitely made us tighter, working more as a group instead of 4 individuals. If the mix calls for less me on background, I back off.
    Works well for a bunch of old Canadian rockers like us. I really wish the other groups I mix could see the benefit. Any time we have had an outside engineer or supplied sound, the monitors sucked in comparison.
    If you have nothing to do, don't do it here.

having one monitor mix only (post fader) has been critical to us for knowing where each one of us is in the mix for any particular song. Yes it definitely made us tighter, working more as a group instead of 4 individuals.
    This is a very good point!
    I have done bands with 3 background singers on different mixes.
    How can they possibly know how the blend is working?!?
    I don't see horn sections with each player on a different mix.

When you get your X Air and X8 mini you will have to post a you tube of your show Kev.
    I don't like scaring small children and cats mate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast