You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Crackling sound recorded from x-USB

Crackling sound recorded from x-USB

X32 1.15 (not for sure about card firmware) USB connected to a Mac Pro using the Tracktion software. The pastors headset mic is perfectly fine live, although on the recording there is crackling and popping about 6-10 times per service... Client just told me this has now been happening for a couple weeks consistently. Card is set up in 32x32 mode. One other thing, it only happens thus far while he is actually speaking so can't even isolate the sound to remove it from the track.

Can't make it down to trouble shoot this until next week so thought I'd take the time to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks, jimmy
    http://whiplashentertainment.com

to err is human, to really mess things up you need a computer...

Some possibility´s :
    Do you need all the 32 inputs and outputs ? if not, set the card to 32 - 8 or whatever you need.
    Rise the buffer of the card driver (if that is possible on a Mac, i use Windows)
    Make sure the input gain is not to high (clipping causes distortion)

Which version of OSX is installed on the Mac? OSX older than 10.6.8 isn't supported at all, and 10.6.8 is restricted to 16/16, 8/8 or 2/2. Later releases of OSX should be fully supported.

Another issue may be with tracktion. Several people on this forum have experienced overruns when they use tracktion on hardware that works fine with other recording software. I would personally recommend that you spend a few $ on something else. Having used common DAWs such as Cubase and ProTools for many years I still appreciate a different approach such as Presonus Studio One when there's a purpose in the form of a productive workflow. Tracktion just comes across as weird to me. It's different from everything else, for apparently no reason. If I want something completely free I'd rather use a computer running Linux and Ardour. Reaper is the cheap commercial alternative that gets lots of praise around here.

To answer both of you guys... They use the 32 setting as they record the full team sometimes. OS on Mac is the mavericks. As far as Tracktion... Personally I think it's the worst daw that I have ever come across. Pathetic at best. Here's the background and why we are where we are.

Smaller room had a mackie 32 8 bus onyx running two Motu 24i with audiodesk (baby brother to digital performer) that came with them. Used audacity for the wave editor since ad didn't come with one. Worked very well.

Fast forward... New building finished, x32 installed... Audiodesk will NOT work with anything but the card that came with it. It actually sees the x32 as a viable device, yet won't use it. Verified all of this with Motu. Never imagined this would be the case... Quite stupid if you ask me. Anyway...

The 24i's won't work with the x32 because they have TRS 1/4" inputs which worked quite well with the analog mackie's direct outs.

This was a huge install with video, etc included so I didn't really have time to do a lot once I realized the problem, so I just figured we would go with audacity for the moment to get them rolling until we could make some decisions about this. The problem with audacity is that typically they only record pastor and a room mic... But you have to arm all the tracks up to the pastor and room mic channels which are 28 and 32 so it was a mess for that... Great for editing though.

So.... EXTREMELY reluctantly, I downloaded Tracktion and installed it since we could arm only tracks 28 and 32... Which finds us here today... I have installs lined up back to back so it's going to be a while longer before I can get back to them and do something permanent, which I agree will need to be a paid version of something good, so just trying to keep them working and satisfied til then.

Thanks for the ideas for sure, as I am going to have to just make a little time this coming week juggling an install in order to at least get rid of this crazy noise. I figured the first thing I would do probable, just as a bandaid would be to simply connect them analog and tell them it's pastors mic for a while til we can address this properly. If we do that then I can just go back to audacity for the time being.

I'm not a fan of macs either, but installed it originally at their request. Since I'm a PC guy, any issues on it usually take me longer then normal since I don't deal with them every day like I do pc's

Once again, thanks for your time and thoughts... They have given me some thoughts to pursue
    Last edited by jimmy fleming; 07-16-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    http://whiplashentertainment.com

to err is human, to really mess things up you need a computer...