You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Quality Ethernet Cable from BEHRINGER

No announcement yet, Jeff.

John DiNicola is good about keeping us informed on product availability.

In the interim, if you need a cable, select a good quality shielded cable. Although, I have 150' of unshielded Cat6 that I use with my S16s when I don't have the X32 at the side of the stage, and it performs just fine.
    Bob

well.. this is not brain surgery... it's a cable!

I have yet to see anything so far so I am ordering a Whirlwind ENC2 just a short 25' so i can have an s16 as a stage box and have 32 inputs and 16 outputs on the X32 compact. This is for an installation where the X32c is next to the stage and I can have the s16 in a box on stage for the back line and monitor feeds as well...

I'll get another x32... prolly the full size for a rental PA system with 2 s16 on stage or maybe a x32 rack and use it as a monitor system... and for this I will need a 150'-200' heavy duty cable and a shorter link. the whirlwind are great quality but a bit expensive... so I am hoping Behringer can have a reasonably priced yet quality option for this and in various lengths.

we should have:
    short length 6', 10', 15'
    medium length 25' 50' 75'
    long length 100' 150' 200'
    to have a complete selection or at least the option to custom order any length you need. I do a lot of installations so I need various lengths for different jobs and don't like having a roll of extra cable rolled up.
    I'd list my gear here but they only allow 200 characters... I have MIDIS?AVID/BEHRINGER/PRESONUS/SOUNDCRAFT consoles and Meyer/QSC/Mackie Speakers and tons of gear.

Is it really that hard to find anybody with the necessary crimp-tools? Neutric RJ-45 housing, RJ-45 plugs and shielded/braided cat5+ or cat6 cable are all readily available on the market. I would mount several of these connectors in the time it takes to prepare and solder a single XLR-plug.

Still nothing on the cable? What's everyone else using for their desks? More specifically, what's Behringer suggesting for the cables?
    CAT5, 5e, 6?? Shielded or unshielded, solid core or stranded??

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
    Still nothing on the cable? What's everyone else using for their desks? More specifically, what's Behringer suggesting for the cables?
    CAT5, 5e, 6?? Shielded or unshielded, solid core or stranded??

Inquiring minds want to know.....
    Many users have already posted what they are using and there is somewhat of a variety in their choices. I will state again what I am using and, more importantly, why.
    I am using Belden 7919A shielded Cat5e which is a ruggedized (Data-Tuff) oil & sunlight resistant tactical cable. It is a solid conductor variety that I have chosen strictly because of the cautions listed in various technical documents regarding the use of stranded conductors with the RJ45 connectors, particularly as they relate to handling and distance. I use the etherCON Cat5e carrier in conjunction with the Platinum Tools RJ45 shielded plug and I physically solder the drain wire to the metal strain relief on the RJ45 plug. This is the exact construction that Rapco-Horizon uses for their shielded Cat5e cables which isa custom construction that they out-source.

Some users have used stranded Cat5e and have not reported any problems. The Belden 7919A cable, as I stated, has solid conductors but is not as rigid as I thought it would be, especially for a tactical cable. I have used this setup many, many times and have yet to experience ANY problems. Bear in mind that this is what I use and that there are a number of users successfully using other designs. A couple of things to remember: 1) the RJ45 shielded plug is different for solid versus stranded conductors; 2) Behringer suggests using stranded Cat5e cable (at a minimum); and, 3) while it isn't stated explicitly, a tactical, or ruggedized, cable will always offer better performance over time in the difficult environments we go in to, especially outdoors. Also, there seem to be many more offerings for STP cables in Europe than in the US and US pricing for these cables is quite high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12