You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X18 & Crickets

X18 & Crickets

Any word on the X18????? It is the 4th of July.

Or the mention of the X20??? I want make sure I am ready to wait for that one too.

Or the x4 wireless, turbo diesel.

Glenn,

I have the feeling that Behringer is going all out on the M32 right now. I suspect that crickets is all we are going to hear on the iX18 Winter NAMM perhaps?

I am just hoping for a simple software update to get the RTA onto the X32Mix app

32 channels? Humbug?

They should concentrate on the M6

I am sure they are big enough to have more that one development stream at a time. Plus the M32 was freshly announced as was the new project to keep Kev happy, the X-Air B-Box mini. But the iX16 and the not that much changed X18 are over 2 year on the vine.
    That is why iWine. Just kill the project if there is no intention to bring it to market. Behringer has lost all the Buzz and hype already, if it were to hit the street tomorrow it would be met with a collective yawn.

Big enough? Of course glen they are, sadly IMHO they are making too many toys for bedroom Djs, I Don't know why they didn't just trim some of the features off the rack, and produce a lite version, currently it does everything many of you want, but far too ott for many low ch users, it would make more sense than all this baiting of people like me with renderings or mock ups of non products.

The x air, ooooooooogh, It's wireless!!!!!! So what, is the internal router better than an 80 dollar AirPort Extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Adams View Post
    I am sure they are big enough to have more that one development stream at a time. Plus the M32 was freshly announced as was the new project to keep Kev happy, the X-Air B-Box mini. But the iX16 and the not that much changed X18 are over 2 year on the vine.
    That is why iWine. Just kill the project if there is no intention to bring it to market. Behringer has lost all the Buzz and hype already, if it were to hit the street tomorrow it would be met with a collective yawn.
    Good point. The x18 is quite different from the rest of the X32 family. I thin that the entire software infrastructure likely had to be touched to fit it in while the M32 is largely a mechanical exercise.

I also think you may be surprised at how few actual software/firmware developers companies typically employ. Maintaining am existing product takes very little effort; however, major overhauls and new products are always measured in man-years.

I do agree with you though. The X18 was the big product to focus on. The M32 will be a trickle of sales in comparison. I do wonder about the margins though. It may be difficult to squeeze out a profit on th X18 while there will be plenty of gravey on the M32.

Sadly, the chirping crickets seem to say that 2015 is a better bet for the X18. Behringer haven't ever just kept a new product a secret and then suddenly surprised us with it. It just isn't their style.

I just don't think the x18 is that compelling a product given the price reduction on the X32 Rack. Why even bother? Are there that many buyers on the sideline too intimidated by the feature set, form factor, or price of the X32 Rack? It is hard to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mertz View Post
    I just don't think the x18 is that compelling a product given the price reduction on the X32 Rack. Why even bother? Are there that many buyers on the sideline too intimidated by the feature set, form factor, or price of the X32 Rack? It is hard to think so.
    Ya know Mark, I felt the same way .... but lets do a little speculation.

With the price of an X32 Rack sitting at $1200.00, and the Mackie DL1608 sitting at $1,000.00, let take a guess that Behringer can put the MAP of the X18 at $800.00.

There is quite a bit of light between an $800.00 and $1200.00 mixer ..... and add to that the router and rack ($50.00 and $150.00 respectively) needed for the X32 Rack and you are looking at $600.00 difference .... which isn't trivial.

Also, both the X18 and DL1608 are quite a bit smaller and easier to setup, tear down, and transport, than an X32 Rack.

For me, the X32 Rack was a no brainer. I LOVE all the added capabilities. I LOVE the idea that I can extend my setup to handle up to 38 inputs with a stage box.... but I think lots of people .... particularly the average bar band that just wants to setup and rock rather than play around with a lot of bells and whistles ... is going to find a lot of things to love about the X18.

The X32 Rack really has no competition in the market IMHO. Nothing else does what it does ..... really not even close at this time.

The X18 is a DL1608 killer. It will positively OWN that market. There will still be some room left for the venerable StudioLive 16.0.2 for those that simply can't give up their physical faders, but the DL1608 is toast IMHO. It will be beat in price, features, and sound quality. The only people that will be buying the DL1608 will be those that can't stand to purchase a Behringer product no matter how good it is.

Not sure I would try to make a business case out of the DL1608 compared to that.

QSC is also coming out with a similar product. Sadly (for them) it still has physical gains vs. remote gains. I also think that the QSC mixer is going in the wrong architectural direction by including its own touch screen. It raises the cost of the product, and there is simply no way that the QSC screen is going to hold a candle to the off-the-shelf tablets out there. It is going to look like something from Crayola in comparison IMHO. It also can't be mounted on the mic stand like my iPad Mini..... this is a deal killer for me. I absolutely LOVE having a very unobtrusive black iPad Mini as my remote mixer and monitor mounted to my mic stand.

Mark and Scott - I agree with both of you. I think they may be worried Mackie will drag them to court.
    But if the thing ever does exist Rack sales may also take a hit.

I am releaved that the Rack came out first cause wow, this thing is fun. I love the full console and would rather use it, but the rack can go where no console has gone before, 40 ch X 16 out 3 space rack mixer. It is the real innovation of the X line. Who else has one?
    There are comps for the Full, the stage box, the iX18/X18. The Rack is out in front all by itself for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast