You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X32 Rack questions

X32 Rack questions

I was about to pull the trigger on a StudioLive 16.4.2 when a thread opened up on another forum about the X32 and people were raving about it. After reading a ton of info and watching a slew of videos, I am now leaning toward the X32 rack but I wanted to post a few questions to clarify my rig.

First, the purpose for a band consisting of: 2 guitar, 1 bass, drums (5 mics), keys, vocals (5 mics). We also like to record our live performances for demo and education purposes (this is what originally steered me toward the StudioLive). Additionally, each of the six band members use their own monitor mixes, so I need a minimum of 6 aux sends (pre) in which I can configure anything from a single channel to a duplicate of the FOH mix.

Given those basics, I ask the following questions...

1) From what I read, there's absolutely no problem with the number of inputs or the 6 individual monitor mixes, correct?

2) About the ipad app - We do not use a sound engineer. My plan is to run an FoH mix in my in-ear-monitors and have an ipad stand from where I would adjust the FoH mix. Given that I only have a few seconds between songs to make adjustments, is the iPad app sufficient for this purpose? If it takes too many 'clicks' to adjust volume on the tracks or eq them, it will not be a workable solution for me.

3) About monitor mixes - from what I read, to do 6 individual monitor mixes (some use in-ears and some run to powered wedges), I would not need any of the additional components and would be able to do this directly from the X32 itself, correct?

4) About recording - I LOVE the fact that this unit does not require firewire or thunderbolt, because I won't have to purchase a new PC to make this work. One question though, can I record and run an application to do midi loops and backing tracks (something like Abelton Live) at the same time? From the same laptop? If the answer to those questions are yes, can I also run the X32 control app on that laptop at the same time?

With StudioLive, I would have needed two laptops to do this.

5) Should I buy a shock-mounted rack?

6) Is there a recommended type of power conditioner? Is a UPS recommended to prevent crashes from power loss?

Thanks very much for your help. I'm very excited about this possibility.

Hi guitarjim,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that someone steered you our way. From what I read of your post, the X32 Rack would be ideal IMO (I have 2 of them).

1) Since you have 15 inputs (if I count correctly), that should not be a problem. The Rack has 16 mic and 6 Aux inputs. This can be expanded in a number of ways (additional Rack, S16, X-ADAT, etc.).

2) Sorry to hear you don't have a FOH engineer. But do you have a friend with a good ear? Could you not give him/her an iPad or android tablet and sit in the audience and mix? IMO you would get far better results that way. It is possible to do the way you suggest, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also regarding the iPad app, it is a good app and will be updated soon. But the Mixing Station for android is really great (many of us have that opinion).

3) If your monitors are mono (IEM and wedges) then the 8 XLR and 6 1/4" outputs should suffice. If you need stereo monitor mixes, then you will need additional physical output (again via 2nd Rack, S16, P16, etc.).

5) That's a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't bother.

6) A small UPS is highly recommended. I have one (650W) and wouldn't do it without it.

Also to change your username to your firstname lastname (as per forum policy), simply send a PM to Evan Hooton and he can change it for you.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for all of the feedback. Looks like I'm all set and I'll pull the trigger on the unit this week. Regarding point #2, we are a wedding / dance band and do mostly private events, so we normally don't have any "friends" in the audience. I am wireless though and take walks around the room at least once per set, and one of our singers does the same when he isn't singing. I'm hoping that between doing that and having an FOH mix in my IEMs, that I'll be able do the job. It's really the only option, so as long as the app will allow me to quickly update it, I should be fine. Our monitors are all mono, so I think we're good there. It's great to know how expandable this unit is though. I'm so glad I found it.

I sent an email to Evan to change my username. Sorry I didn't see that when I registered.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I look forward to participating in the forum, first as a question poster and later as an answer poster.

One last question... I didn't see a manual for this unit on the Behringer site. Is there one?

Cheers,

Jim

Great to hear that I was able to help a bit in your decision. You can monitor FOH using IEM, just realize that what you hear is not necessarily what the audience hears, due to acoustics, etc. But of course, I'm a FOH engineer. So I'm biased that way. I know there are a number of members here using the Rack the way you anticipate and they seem to be very happy with it.

The Rack manual can be found on the X32 Wiki (http://x32wiki.music-group.com/index...itle=Main_Page) and I can provide you with a pdf shortly (have to go get my wife).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
    1) From what I read, there's absolutely no problem with the number of inputs or the 6 individual monitor mixes, correct?
    The X32r with 16 preamps should be adequate. The keyboard will requre DI, or you may experiment with the AUX-ins.

2) About the ipad app - We do not use a sound engineer. My plan is to run an FoH mix in my in-ear-monitors and have an ipad stand from where I would adjust the FoH mix. Given that I only have a few seconds between songs to make adjustments, is the iPad app sufficient for this purpose? If it takes too many 'clicks' to adjust volume on the tracks or eq them, it will not be a workable solution for me.
    I do something similar (using mixing-station on android) and connect a closed head-set to the IEM-receiver during soundcheck for better separation from background noise and direct instrument sound. The IEM is connected to monitor-L/R so I can solo the various sources. With a wireless headset mic connected to a channelstrip I can even talkback though stage-monitors while walking about mixing on my phone or tablet.
    3) About monitor mixes - from what I read, to do 6 individual monitor mixes (some use in-ears and some run to powered wedges), I would not need any of the additional components and would be able to do this directly from the X32 itself, correct?
    6 mono mixes is a breeze, and a stereo copy of FOH on the monitor-outs as described above. No extra hardware required, other than a decent wireless router. You can also link pairs of outputs if you want stereo IEMs.
    4) About recording - I LOVE the fact that this unit does not require firewire or thunderbolt, because I won't have to purchase a new PC to make this work. One question though, can I record and run an application to do midi loops and backing tracks (something like Abelton Live) at the same time? From the same laptop? If the answer to those questions are yes, can I also run the X32 control app on that laptop at the same time?
    With StudioLive, I would have needed two laptops to do this.
    In theory it works, but it needs experimentation with every computer. I've been running Fishman TriplePlay guitar synth on my computer (macbook pro) that also runs Studio One and X32-Edit. It is important to have a high-end computer and make sure there are no hardware-clashes (shared interrupts etc). Unfortunately none of the mainstream operating systems available (Windows or OSX) are particularly good at realtime operations. They easily get bogged down with unrelated seemingly needless operations that lead to high latency and occasional audio pops and dropouts.
    Also important to notice is that it is problematic to loop an external USB audio-source back to the computer for recording (can be done with an AUX-loop), so you may want to make sure your DAW can catch this audio on its way out to the mixer. Alternatively run the synth or other sound-generating software as a plugin in the DAW.
    5) Should I buy a shock-mounted rack?
    There are few moving parts in the X32r. I don't consider it more fragile than most other rack-mounted audio-equipment.
    6) Is there a recommended type of power conditioner? Is a UPS recommended to prevent crashes from power loss?
    I'd recommend a power-conditioner, but have no specs other than it should be able to deliver the correct voltage and required amps. I haven't bothered with a UPS. It hasn't been a problem for me. The X32 stores every change that is made within a few seconds. I haven't had any problems with it the few times in the past 6 months I've had power issues. Nothing has been lost, other than the FOH L/R level that has to be manually restored once the box comes back up.

As much as the rack costs, a shock rack to help protect it is a good investment, as is a UPS with voltage regulation.

For those on IEM, you may consider moving them to the P16M if they don't need to move around. Go ampless on stage, put stationary people on the P16M's and your task to mix FOH from headphones will be much easier. That would possibly free up enough hardware outs and mix busses to give wireless IEM's a stereo mix.

The x32-rack is a lightweighted piece of gear so a shock mount won't do any good since as the shock mount is to handle heavy poweramps and similar heavy stuff.

A rack case with a shock mount will weight more than a standard rack and it will also add to the size.

When I'm out with my own band (I'm the lead singer) I let the band do one or two songs to start with and after that the mix is more or less set for the evening. There should not be much tweaking to do during the rest of the gig. With the new x-touch scheduled around the winter time you will get a small dedicated remote control surface if you should ever need one. Otherwise an old laptop or some extra ipad/tablet can be used.

You really need to prepare for that you may drop your ipad or something similar happening so that you have a backup plan for your mixing needs if this should ever happen. While it is possible to mix on the x32-rack front panel it isnt something I'd recommend more than for occational tweaks.

I always reccomend an online ups with true sinewave output. This is from personal experience during all the years dealing with digital equipment and live sound/video...
    x32, x32-rack, s16, p16, iNuke 6000dsp, deq2496, dxc2496, src2496, misc other behringer gear, StudioLive 24, StudioOne Pro, Cubase 4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4

I was under the impression Robert that the touch controlled the 32 through midi via a PC or Mac, is this not so?

Cheers

Kev

http://forum.behringer.com/showthrea...-being-present
    Last edited by kev tyler; 07-06-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lofgren View Post
    I always reccomend an online ups with true sinewave output. This is from personal experience during all the years dealing with digital equipment and live sound/video...
    You can never over-emphasize the need for True sine wave output for the UPS. The power supplies for most of our digital gear absolutely do not like the "chopped" sine waves most lower-cost UPSs have. They get pricey but it's better than smoking a console power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by kev tyler View Post
    I was under the impression Robert that the touch controlled the 32 through midi via a PC or Mac, is this not so?

Cheers

Kev

http://forum.behringer.com/showthrea...-being-present
    The forthcoming x-touch will be able to speak x32 via ethernet according to behringer.

The bcf2000 can communicate via midi for common duties like fader levels and such. But for controlling the x32 using the mcu protocol you'll need a computer in between.
    x32, x32-rack, s16, p16, iNuke 6000dsp, deq2496, dxc2496, src2496, misc other behringer gear, StudioLive 24, StudioOne Pro, Cubase 4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast