I was about to pull the trigger on a StudioLive 16.4.2 when a thread opened up on another forum about the X32 and people were raving about it. After reading a ton of info and watching a slew of videos, I am now leaning toward the X32 rack but I wanted to post a few questions to clarify my rig.
First, the purpose for a band consisting of: 2 guitar, 1 bass, drums (5 mics), keys, vocals (5 mics). We also like to record our live performances for demo and education purposes (this is what originally steered me toward the StudioLive). Additionally, each of the six band members use their own monitor mixes, so I need a minimum of 6 aux sends (pre) in which I can configure anything from a single channel to a duplicate of the FOH mix.
Given those basics, I ask the following questions...
1) From what I read, there's absolutely no problem with the number of inputs or the 6 individual monitor mixes, correct?
2) About the ipad app - We do not use a sound engineer. My plan is to run an FoH mix in my in-ear-monitors and have an ipad stand from where I would adjust the FoH mix. Given that I only have a few seconds between songs to make adjustments, is the iPad app sufficient for this purpose? If it takes too many 'clicks' to adjust volume on the tracks or eq them, it will not be a workable solution for me.
3) About monitor mixes - from what I read, to do 6 individual monitor mixes (some use in-ears and some run to powered wedges), I would not need any of the additional components and would be able to do this directly from the X32 itself, correct?
4) About recording - I LOVE the fact that this unit does not require firewire or thunderbolt, because I won't have to purchase a new PC to make this work. One question though, can I record and run an application to do midi loops and backing tracks (something like Abelton Live) at the same time? From the same laptop? If the answer to those questions are yes, can I also run the X32 control app on that laptop at the same time?
With StudioLive, I would have needed two laptops to do this.
5) Should I buy a shock-mounted rack?
6) Is there a recommended type of power conditioner? Is a UPS recommended to prevent crashes from power loss?
Thanks very much for your help. I'm very excited about this possibility.