You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: Outboard FX to Monitor on Aux 1 - Xenyx X2442USB Mixer

Outboard FX to Monitor on Aux 1 - Xenyx X2442USB Mixer

While Im waiting for the Stereo TRS to 2 mono TS cable to arrive from New Jersey, I wanted to go ahead and use my Outboard ART FXR Stereo 2 channel Multiple Effects Processor to put Effects into the Monitor mix. However, I have been "Unsuccesful in the attempt. I can get it to work on Aux 2 and Aux 4 for the Mains but I cannot route it to reach the Aux 1 Im using for my Monitor mix.
    If the TRS to 2 mono TS cables will get FX to the Aux 1 - then why wont my Outboard Effects Processor do the same thing?
    I really need help with this -( No effects to the Aux 1 Monitor mix is absolutely bizzare on a 12 channel mixer.)

Hi Warren,

Had to download the manual for the Art FXR. You would plug a 1/4" to 1/4" patch cord from Aux 3 (or Aux 4) sends jack (back of mixer) to the Left input of the FXR (for mono input). Then plug one or two (two if you want stereo Fx return) 1/4" to 1/4" patch cable(s) into the output of the FXR and into one of the stereo channels (eg 9/10) of the mixer.

Paul

Thank you Paul for your timely reply and for the information. Cant wait till I get that cable in so I can use my onboard FX for both the mains and the monitors.

Seems I need More Instructions to get FX to the Aux 1 Monitor

I have the Stereo TRS to 2 mono TS cable and plugged in the TRS to the FX OUT and plugged the Tip plug into channel 9/10 Left and the Ring plug into 9/10 Right.

However, nothing I seem to do from here has any effect on my mic channel on #1 - . So what needs to be done from here?

where do you have the fx returning into the mixer?

how are you getting them to show up on aux 2 and 4?

Hi Warren,

I assume you are getting the Fx out the main L/R and there is a signal showing on the Fx meter (to the left of the Fx display), correct? If so, then you probably need to setup the stereo 9/10 channel strip to send only to the Aux 1 and/or Aux 2.
    * Make sure the "Main" button is up (beside the fader) so that this channel won't go to the main L/R
    * Make sure the Aux 1 & 2 are Pre (button is down)
    * Adjust the Aux 1 and/or 2 knobs to get what Fx you want in the monitors.

Paul

:edit: correction, for pre-fader Aux, pre button is down, according to the manual
    Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 06-20-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: correction on pre button

FX to Aux 1 Monitor mix

Quote Originally Posted by mike horn View Post
    where do you have the fx returning into the mixer?

how are you getting them to show up on aux 2 and 4?
    Im not getting them to show up on any of the Aux channels. I have No Effects present in any of the Auxillary channels.

Hi Warren,

If you have your mic into channel 1, do you have the channel fader up, and the Aux 3 or 4 (orange knobs) of that channel up? Are you getting something in the meter beside the Fx display?

Paul

Paul, Here is what Ive done so far. To begin with, I tried using my "Outboard" FX to see if it would inject effects into my Monitor Mix. I plugged into the Aux 2 Send on the Mixer and the other end I plugged into the Left input on the ART FXR and then plugged into the ART FXR Output (both Left and Right and plugged those TS 1/4" males into the mixer Channels 11/12.
    I placed that channel in the Pre configuration and punched in the black 1-2 (aux channels) button to route the signal to Aux 1 & 2. I set the Gain to 1 o'clock position, brought the bottom slider to the 0 mark. On Channel 1 I plugged in my Mic and left the bottom slider at Zero. I turned the Aux 1 Red volume control to 11 o'clock and with the controls on the ART FXR Input set at 12 o'clock - the Mix at 2:00 0'clock and the Output at 2:00 O'clock as well, I turned up the Red Aux 2 volume control on the board while speaking into the mic. This brought about getting Reverb from the ART FXR into the Aux 2 control by which I can add or cut effects as I wish. Aux 1 is "Dry" - and Aux 2 now has Reverb or whatever effects the ART can produce. So far so good~ I now know for sure that putting Effects into the Monitor mix is possible. So now I "Unplug the ART FXR module completely from the Mixer. I took the Stereo TRS 1/4" male plug and plugged it into the FX Out female jack on the mixer and the took the two remaining TS 1/4" plugs (Tip on one - Ring on the other one) and plugged them into the Stereo 11/12 channel (Left and Right) inputs. I left everything on channel 11/12 "untouched" - so as to be able to obtain the same results as before, only this time using the Onboard Effects instead of using my Outboard Effects module - - - And I was "Successful" - So thanks to all who took the time to read all this and especially to Paul for his "Expert Advice" - Again, thank you~!
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 06-21-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Had more to say

UPDATE on my Success - - - I did discover that although you can get the built in FX to your Monitor mix on the Xenyx X2442USB Mixer, you will have a serious problem with the FX if you "Also" have the built-in FX going to the Main FOH speaker system. If you set the FX for the Monitor Mix, then when you activate the black "Main" button, you will find that the Effects will be Way more than you want going to the Main mix....and if you set the Effects for the Mains, then when you switch in the Effects going to the Monitors, you dont have enough Effects to be useful in the monitors.

Best Bet for Adding Effects to the Monitor Mix on this Mixer is to use a Separate Effects Module - then you can set your Effects separately between the FOH Main mix and the Aux 1 Monitor mix. Im just glad I had that old ART FXR stereo Effects Module lying about. As old as it is, It works rather well and it has some great effects.