You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: UFX1604: 24 bit / 96 kHz recording via USB host?

UFX1604: 24 bit / 96 kHz recording via USB host?

I recently purchased the UFX1604 and so far I'm quite pleased, but recording via a connected USB drive is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. Are there any plans to support up to 24 bit 96 kHz?

A separate point of clarification - with the black FW 1-2 source button pushed, the USB audio (1/2) is routed to the main output. With the main fader at unity, 0 dBFS (e.g. signal from connected PC) appears to equate to about +20 (dBu?) on the meter - i.e. not quite illuminating the clipping LED with the fader at unity (and similarly, with only the red FW 1-2 button pushed in, albeit the main fader is bypassed). Is this correct? I.e. the metering basically follows the rule 0 dBFS equates to about +20 dBu in the analogue domain?

It only occurred to me to ask because I nearly blasted my ears off listening via headphones with the red FW1-2 button engaged, compared with my mix, which I generally set to peak below 0 dBu.

Super User
    Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you getting the limitation of 16 bit 48Khz? According to the UFX1604 product page, it is suppose to support 24 bit, 96Khz.

Paul

Paul, that's for the USB interface. The stick supports 44.1 kHz/48 kHz only.
    Step 7 of the quickstart guide also states that the console tests the writing speed of the USB stick; it will do 24bit recording only if the stick is fast enough to support it.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UFX1...AB3_QSG_WW.pdf

That same guide states that the phones have +22 dBu max. output level.
    Think of this board as a Swiss Army Mixer. --Glenn Adams

Super User
    Thanks Michael. I forgot it had a port for a standalone USB drive, which would probably be similar to the X32 top/front USB port (and equivalent discussion).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mendelsohn View Post
    Paul, that's for the USB interface. The stick supports 44.1 kHz/48 kHz only.
    Step 7 of the quickstart guide also states that the console tests the writing speed of the USB stick; it will do 24bit recording only if the stick is fast enough to support it.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UFX1...AB3_QSG_WW.pdf

That same guide states that the phones have +22 dBu max. output level.
    Thanks Michael - must have missed that bit 24 bit would be good for the extra headroom, but guess I need a powered HDD. It's slightly unfortunate about restricted Fs on a hosted device. There is a fair bit of aliasing on the UFX converters at 44.1 and 48 kHz. Recording at 88.1 or 96 kHz and down-sampling later in the digital domain with a decent SRC algorithm improves performance quite a bit.

The question on level wasn't so much about max output, but understanding the equivalent expected output (metered) when playing 0 dBFS via the USB return channels (and main fader at unity or bypassed).