You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossover cable for cat5 connection to xcontrol?

Eric Eskam

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by winedup View Post
    Should be able to leave the gateway address blank on both devices - GW only matters if your network packets are leaving the local subnet, which in this case they should not be.
    Some windows network card drivers don't work well if the GW is blank. Your right, it shouldn't matter... however, not everyone is consistent in how they implement things.

Songboy - just set up a "dummy" network. Pretend your gateway and DNS are the same, non-existant device. I like to use uncommon RFC 1918 address spaces in case I forget to change things around when I eventually plug things back into a real network. The 10.x.x.x space is perfect for this. I also like to pick easy for me to remember numbers.

So let's pick 10.10.10.x as our network, and our placeholder gateway and DNS will be 10.10.10.1. Let's put the console on address 5, and the computer on address 10. With all of that here is how the console and computer should be configured:

x32 Console:

IP Address: 10.10.10.5
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (or /24 depending on the UI layout)
    Gateway: 10.10.10.1
    DNS: 10.10.10.1

Computer:

IP Address: 10.10.10.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (or /24 depending on the UI layout)
    Gateway: 10.10.10.1
    DNS: 10.10.10.1

Note the gateway and DNS doesn't actually exist - which is fine since we really don't need them. It's just I have seen computers, again depending on the network card driver, that don't act predictably if there isn't something plugged in there.

EDIT: and on the computer you need to set the IP address manually, NOT with DHCP - turn off DHCP and set the IP address manually (also called a static IP)
    Last edited by Eric Eskam; 12-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.

michaelroper
    Just a quick FYI, this does work - I'm doing it just now on my Macbook, direct from port to port, no router in between (http://cl.ly/LDcv). I can't vouch for windows machines, but I know that Mac network ports have always had the ability to do direct connections like this with just a normal patch cable, not necessarily a crossover cable.

humhead
    Be advised you need to set a STATIC IP address on your PC. Set it a few numbers off from the X32, IOW if the X32 IP address is 192.168.0.120 set the computers LAN (not wifi if you are connecting CAT 5 from x32 directly to PC) STATIC address to 192.168.1.125. Also make sure gateway and subnet mask are set the same as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12