You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossover cable for cat5 connection to xcontrol?

songboy007

Crossover cable for cat5 connection to xcontrol?

Hi all,

I'm new to both th X32 and the forum.. I'm an engineer working out of Florida, doing monitors. I'm really digging' the desk. I must admit that I'm very surprised at the quality of the build. More importantly , it sounds really good. The graphs absolutely kill the M7. The graphs in the m7 are pretty bad for the money, frankly.

With that said, I can't seem to properly hook up a simple cat5 cable to use Xcontrol. Does this require a certain type/wiring cat5 cable?

Thanks,

Songboy007

Quote Originally Posted by songboy007 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to both th X32 and the forum.. I'm an engineer working out of Florida, doing monitors. I'm really digging' the desk. I must admit that I'm very surprised at the quality of the build. More importantly , it sounds really good. The graphs absolutely kill the M7. The graphs in the m7 are pretty bad for the money, frankly.

With that said, I can't seem to properly hook up a simple cat5 cable to use Xcontrol. Does this require a certain type/wiring cat5 cable?

Thanks,

Songboy007
    Have you tried a wireless connection?

songboy007
    Hi Famepot,

No. The idea would be to throw the console up, plug in a single network cable and communicate directly with my PC. My understanding is that this is possible. I might, at some point, be using my Ipad to ring monitors and this would be on a wireless router. But for now I want the ability to enter data quickly between sets, with a single wire.. Thanks for the suggestion. If I need to go wireless I will. But I'm hoping not, for now.

songboy007

Hi Famepot,

No. The idea would be to throw the console up, plug in a single network cable and communicate directly with my PC. My understanding is that this is possible. I might, at some point, be using my Ipad to ring monitors and this would be on a wireless router. But for now I want the ability to enter data quickly between sets, with a single wire.. Thanks for the suggestion. If I need to go wireless I will. But I'm hoping not, for now.

songboy007
    what you need to do is hook up the x32 to a "home" network and go to the settings page from the x32 tab network, give you x32 a free ip from your network for example 192.168.1.123 , next hook up your PC to the same network wireless or with cat 5 cable and make sure you don't have the same ip as the x32, open the program and give the ip adress from the x32

and connect the x32 with the remote monitoring port not with the A or B port

songboy007
    Thanks for the reply Kwantakosta,

I understand how to network the machines with a router. I have several here. The reason I ask about the direct connection is that this method is featured in a Behringer issued video about how to use Xcontrol. Is this not possible? If not, I need to buy a router small enough to fit in the dog house.

Thanks ,,
    songboy007

winedup
    Though I've never tried a direct cable connection, there is NOTHING to prevent this from working - it's just TCP/IP. You'd need to set the router to a given IP address/netmask (for example, 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0), and set the PC to a different IP address on the same subnet (manually, NOT via DHCP, for example 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0). Most ethernet NICs will just "figure it out" as the pinout goes, so you shouldn't require a crossover cable at all. The simplest test of whether you'd need a crossover is to just plug the cable from your PC to the X32 and check the indicator lights on the X32 - if they light up, you're in business.

If you do want to do the "router thing", here's what I use - tiny, USB-powered and functional.

Hope this helps,

Don

songboy007
    Thanks. Don,

I have some time this evening. I'll take a look. I guess it's time for me to dive into windows 7 networking. I've never set this stuff manually.

Thanks

songboy007

songboy007
    Grrr. I'm trading all my computing devices in for a steam driven wire recorder and a horse! {Eh hmm..} As you can see, I'm lost when it comes to this fancy computin' .. I don't know what to enter for the gate way,, I have two unique IP addresses. And the console is blinking, but the pc wont identify the network.. Lost..

winedup
    Grrr. I'm trading all my computing devices in for a steam driven wire recorder and a horse! {Eh hmm..} As you can see, I'm lost when it comes to this fancy computin' .. I don't know what to enter for the gate way,, I have two unique IP addresses. And the console is blinking, but the pc wont identify the network.. Lost..
    Should be able to leave the gateway address blank on both devices - GW only matters if your network packets are leaving the local subnet, which in this case they should not be. I'll try this on my Win8 box sometime tomorrow.

HTH,

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast