You are here: Home » Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Data cable part 471-question 91

Super User
    Thanks Gary and Anthony for pursuing this to the final response. I have added the summary to the X32 Wiki.
    http://x32wiki.music-group.com/index...utrik_etherCON

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gary higgins View Post
    Does the little plastic channel that divides the twisted pairs offer any additional electrical benefit?
    Gary, got lost in all the hoopla... The plastic channel you are referring to is ONLY for stiffness in "Riser" cable... For going up walls, etc
    http://whiplashentertainment.com

to err is human, to really mess things up you need a computer...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy fleming View Post
    Gary, got lost in all the hoopla... The plastic channel you are referring to is ONLY for stiffness in "Riser" cable... For going up walls, etc
    I do believe that it is there for a good electrical reason. I can't find Gary's original query in context but if he was referring to Cat 6 cable then it is there to maintain the twist and positioning of the pairs of conductors to give the require specification for high speed data over Cat 6 cables.

As I understand it, the "cross-shaped" divider is used to add additional isolation between the wire pairs and is used in some of the "tactical" types of Cat5e to help ensure wire pairs from being "mushed together" (real technical term) when the Cat5e is either flattened by direct pressure or when the wire pairs are brought together as a result of excessive pulling on the cable.

It is all there to help keep down the crosstalk between adjacent pairs which would compromise the high speed data capability of Cat5e and Cat6 cables.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567