You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hot is your S16?

How hot is your S16?

I had my first gig with the X32 yesterday. When packing up, I found the S16 felt rather warm, especially on the part of the case above the power switch (power supply?) - I'd estimate somewhat above 50°C (120F), since it felt hot, but not yet painful even after leaving the hand on it for a while.

The S16 is mounted in black plastic 10U rack case, with a 1U vent above it and plenty of air below (a 4U opening). The back of the case, which was visible from the audience, was closed. The rack case sat at the front of the stage in the sun. The inside of the case didn't feel as hot as the S16. Our X32 Rack was at the back of the stage in the shade and remained cool.

The handbook doesn't mention operating temperature specs for the S16. Should I worry? Spray-paint the rack case silver? Reconfigure the rack? (There's a 4-channel digital amplifier in the second slot from the bottom, which remained cool.)
    Think of this board as a Swiss Army Mixer. --Glenn Adams

Maybe open the case back for a little better air flow? Never noticed if my s16's have been unusually warm but it could be I guess.

I could try to order just a case lid and drill/saw some vent holes in it.
    I haven't been taking the back off because that case sits in full view of the audience, and I'd rather have them seeing the lid than the innards. Hmmm.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    My S16 is dang hot! I've been taking a lot of sexy pictures of it.

I had my X32 in direct sunlight on Saturday for about eight hours with no ill side effects.

Maybe a small fan mounted in your case?
    And just unlatch one side of audience side of your case then leave the lid ajar for better air flow.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Power supplies do normally put out heat, and for the S16 that's probably the only major heat source in the entire device. That said, most PSUs can handle 50C temperatures without any problems, as long as there's air ventilation for the fan.

Henry, I'm happy to hear that your S16 can stand the heat, so I suppose mine can, too. I've been looking for fans just now, but the first I found was 3U, and that's probably overkill. I'm going to try some wooden spacers where the butterfly clamps are, with wire loops to extend the clamps, to keep the lid fixed yet ajar, on the cheap; that should gave the case some back-to-front airflow, and if it works, I can make something more permanent (maybe mount clamps on the spacers as well).

Matt, I don't think the S16 has a fan, just the vents at the sides. You're right about power supplies and heat: I remember Commodore had heat problems with their floppy drives until they switched to external power supplies.

Thanks for your comments!

If it doesn't have a fan then it definitely isn't putting out much heat.

The power rating for the S16 is 45W, which would suggest a correspondingly small heat output, yes.
    Yet when I touch my fingers to a 40W-lightbulb, they hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mendelsohn View Post
    The power rating for the S16 is 45W, which would suggest a correspondingly small heat output, yes.
    Yet when I touch my fingers to a 40W-lightbulb, they hurt.
    40W incandescent lightbulbs are almost entirely heat. Luckily the same isn't true for power supplies :P

It is just common sense to leave the back of your rack open, What is more important to you, To have a system that looks pretty or to make sure that you take proper care of your investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast