You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what are you using to connect CD, PC, MP3 players to the X32? 1/4", RCA or XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shostak View Post
    Also ripping soundtracks from CDs is a great idea, but at our church its hard to do since I always get the CD a minute before the church starts,
    I guess it takes a bit of educating. "Sorry, you'll have to do it next week". I've only had to do that a couple of times. Word does get around (grumpy ol soundman), and I haven't had it happen since. I always insist on doing a quick soundcheck.

and sometimes singer would give a CD with 10 tracks on it saying by mistake " its a track #5 ", and when the time comes to play the track its actually track #4 (awkward moment but happened to me twice), so its much safer to play tracks from CD if it has couple of soundtacks on it.
    That's why when they tell me it is track 4, I ask them again for verification and then do the soundcheck (once it is ripped).

Paul

Yeah I wouldn't take last second requests either. Unless you're already set up and prepared for something like that, it can cause all sorts of issues that you shouldn't be responsible for. People should be responsible enough not to do everything at the last second.

Also, in reply to an earlier post:

I don't think a DI is worth it for CD/digital media input. There's no reason to shape that sound, it should already be mastered. If for some reason you really need to alter its sound, do it in the EQ, you'll have more control anyway.

I tried ripping the tracks once so far and liked it a lot. Nothing could be simpler (once it's set up and tested). I assigned the play/stop, next track, prev track functions to the assign section for easier accessibility. There were 6 or 7 different tracks, each used by a different person. It was MUCH faster and easier to manage then switching CD's. I ordered them by prepending a number to the start of the file. Like Paul said, make sure you have a chance to try them first to make sure it's the right track.

I did a little Christmas concert for a day care last year. They rented our facility and only came in an hour before the show. I had not talked to them before that. They had a whole stack of CD's and overly complex instructions about which track to play when. The CD's were all in the wrong cases, about half were burnt (CD-R) and two were on CD-RW disks which don't work in my player. Talk about awkward moments! There was nothing I could do about that and people were disappointed The disks likely could have been ripped though, had I known before. I guess the moral of the story is you should always ask to check everything before hand, no matter what you're using. And let them know what the risks are if something doesn't get checked.

It would be nice if the USB playback system had some sort of basic playlist functionality, or even just a shuffle for background music between events. Having to rename tracks to adjust playback order is just brutal.

+1 on both ideas (playlist and shuffle). Those would be nice features.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Merkle View Post
    It would be nice if the USB playback system had some sort of basic playlist functionality, or even just a shuffle for background music between events. Having to rename tracks to adjust playback order is just brutal.
    Yes. these would be great features.

for house music a simple 1/8" to 1/4" cable to aux inputs.

For backing tracks off a laptop I use a Radial USB-PRO
    http://www.radialeng.com/usbpro.php

We run our CD player for singers into the Aux 5-6 with sort RCA cable. Its a short run so I don't pickup noise. We also have the PC setup to send signal over USB cable to Card 1/2 and on into Aux 1-2. That way I can play physical CDs in the player, or if I have time, I can rip them into the PC and play them from there. Nice thing about the ripped files is I can add audio file into a slide in the service's PowerPoint deck, and have them automatically play at the right time.

If you use 1/4", you cannot accidentally hit your source with phantom power.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Hey Alex, it all depends on the reason for connecting these devices. This last weekend, I did a talent show. Various contestants came to me with their CD's, wanting certain tracks for their performances. I simply ripped the specific tracks to wav files and copied them to a USB stick. I was then able to mix and run the tracks using Mixing Station. Worked like a charm.

Paul
    The biggest drawback when doing it this way is you loose the recoding to USB feature, as you can either record or playback from USB but not both. But being able to playback tracks using x32-mix or mixing station is indeed a clever idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast