You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer Pro and the Behringer X32

Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer Pro and the Behringer X32

I am finding the RTA function works well enough to pinpoint feedback quickly, but curious if anyone is using this combination and their thoughts.

Hi David,

I'm contemplating the same thing. I'm using a couple of the older DSP1124 Feedback Destroyers on my monitors, simply because it was a carry-over from my analog setup and haven't yet made the transition to properly setting up the monitors. Now with the built-in RTA on both the Rack screen and the Mixing Station, I'm seriously considering it. Unfortunately, I have a couple of weeks in Winnipeg (visiting my sons). So I won't be able to try it out until the end of next month. If you do try it out before that, please post your results. I would think it best to leave them inline and just bypass them. So if you are unable to get the monitors under control, you can revert back to the destroyers.

Paul

If one comes up on ebay on the cheap, I may try it out.

haven't yet made the transition to properly setting up the monitors.
    I think this is the key point.
    A well set up monitor system doesn't need automatic feedback control.
    Just my opinion....

Sure Keith, I think both Paul and I agree with that statement 100%, but I think we are also talking about other situations as well. I will have presenters walk into the audience directly in front of FOH speakers after giving them an education on feedback. I have my systems go on rent to inexperienced users at churches. A band member will decide during the 1st song his guitar amp was too low and crank it. I have given control of a musician's iem mix to the musician with a remote surface. Or maybe I had something happen in my life that has got me to the gig with little time to spare. These are just a few reasons a feedback suppression unit might come in handy. Do I use one now, no. Do I tune my rooms, yes. If a suppression unit comes up on ebay cheap might I try it out, I think I will. Because as much as I like to think I am in control of the universe, sometimes at the most inopportune moment, it likes to prove me otherwise and I like to be prepared for those moments as much as possible.
    Last edited by David Strausberger; 04-29-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Yes I do agree David.

For me, it is usually the case of not being given enough time (usually 2 hours or less) for load in, setup, ringing out FOH, sound check including monitor mixes, dealing with promoters and roadie wannabe's. And I work by myself most of the time. So I have relied on the Feedback Destroyers to take care of the monitor feedback issues. That said, I also agree with Keith that I need to learn to rely less and less on that "crutch". With the Mixing Station now having RTA and the ease of adjusting the parametrics, I really don't have any excuse not to at least try and do it right.

Paul

Hi Paul,
    Yeah, if I find this unit on ebay in the around $100 range used, I will definitely try it out and report back to you. There are enough "what if" situations that have happened to me over the 20 years I have been in the event industry, that having that unit in a rack, ready to be deployed if needed seems like a no-brainer at that price range.

I have been using a DEQ 1024 to set my room curve at church for several years. I set the EQ house curve using Room Eq Monitor (REM) shareware app, which was a pain to use. However, when I first set it up, people complained when I left the EQ off by accident. The DEQ 1024 was my "magic box." Even the pastor could hear the improvement in the sound.

The DEQ 1024 survived the lightning hit a couple year back that resulted in my replacing the analog sound board with an X32. I never got around to pulling the DEQ out of service. I left the Feedback Destroyer on, but never had much luck with it really finding feedback. It could show me hot frequencies, which I would then tweek the house curve on the DEQ. Over time the sound improved and the 'auto feedback destroyer' function did not help me much. Now I have been debating retiring the DEQ and using the built in EQs in the X32. I am not quite ready to let it go. However, I am using the built in X32 EQs to tune the stage monitors; matching the DEQs curve settings for now. That simple fix resulted in a huge improvement in sound clarity in the room. So EQ is still a yes. I hope to learn to use the RTM to set it quickly (and retire the REM app). However, EQ I will do.

Thanks for the update on the DEQ 1024 Equalizer. The unit I was talking about though is this one.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0...gerfbq2496.htm