You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New X32 Apps and Firmware

downloads fine on the other pc

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Hey Jeff,

Which version of the editor (X32-Edit for PC, Mac, linux, X32-Mix, X32-Q)? I just tried a minute ago and had no problem downloading the 3 platforms (PC, Mac, linux) of X32-Edit in Chrome.

Paul
    Yeah something funky going on with my win 8 lenevo laptop. It downloaded fine on my win 7 desktop.

They fixed everything under the sun in x32 Edit except for the ONE thing so many people have requested... being able to re-size it on the screen. This is SO frustrating on a WIN based tablet. If you jack up the screen size in the machine to make Edit large enough to see, the faders become jerky and go full on then off when you touch the stylus to the screen. We bought a RACK in anticipation of EDIT being fixed properly in the revamp. HOW DISAPPOINTING!

Hi Bill,

No, they have not fixed everything in the X32-Edit. Actually there has been very few changes to the app for some months - a few tweaks here and there. But that is about it. This app was never designed for the touch based surface and there have been many previous posts here stating that it did not function very well in that environment. There has never been any promise, either from forum members or the company, that this would change anytime soon. Granted there have been numerous requests for this feature (as well as umpteen other feature requests). But there hasn't even been a hint that this would change in the immediate future. So why would you base your hardware purchasing decision on anticipation only? That doesn't make sense.

Would it be nice to have? Of course it would. Is it ever going to happen? Maybe, maybe not.

For the record, I'm a very happy Rack owner/user (I now have 2 of them), using the X32-Edit on a standard PC and Mixing Station on an android tablet. Everytime I use it, I'm amazed and pleased at how well that combination works for me. Why? Because I based my hardware purchases on what is currently available and functions as anticipated.

Paul

That is good to know

Well It is good to know that there is problems with the x32 edit, and a win based pad type device. I was thinking of maybe getting one to use instead of the laptop i currently have. I'm also considering getting a little netbook, or some such thing like that. Any possible issues with using netbooks with the x32 edit.

Hi Jeff,

I tried a netbook (older one) from work and the problem I found was that the screen resolution was not tall enough for the app. I barely fit even with the taskbar hidden. What I ended up with was an older HP 2530p, which is in between a netboot and a standard laptop (got it off ebay for about $175) and it has been working just fine with X32-Edit. To complement that, I have an Acer android tablet with Mixing Station.

Paul

I grabbed me some old 17 mpc monitors that were made in 2006-2007, that are still square, from a hospital electronic junk throw away bin, that a friend of mine told me about. I just put the x32 edit on it at a 1024 by 768 resolution, and it was pretty darn close, with less then a 8th inch around the edge of the x32 edit program. Maybe I'll try to make one a external monitor mounted on one of my extra rack drawers or something.

Too bad you weren't a party to the conversations that I have had with more than one company employee that indicated to me that the resizing issue was on the list to be addressed. You might understand my frustration and disappointment, and not sound like you're scolding me like a child for expressing an opinion. I run a business and mix audio. I don't have the time nor the inclination to screw around trying out different machines and third party apps. My entire business is WIN based, they offer a app for windows, it should work. If Microsoft updates the OS to a touch type environment then they should update the app just like other software providers have to, to remain current.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. It is evident that somehow you have been mislead with this expectation of a resizable app. If you did in fact base your purchases on those promises, I can now understand your frustration better. You are correct that is is a shame I wasn't part of those conversations. I would either have been enlightened or a reality check.

I do apologize if I came across as scolding. That was definitely not my intent. But one of the roles of the forum has been to help users manage their expectations of what the X32 and the respective apps can and cannot do at any point in time in the evolution of the whole X32 eco-system. Just about a year ago, we had a mini-meltdown here on the forum that stemmed from our ongoing expectations of frequent (monthly or less) firmware and app updates. That resulted in mechanisms whereby the forum can now help manage those expectations better. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't. But at least we try.

So how can we best help you in your situation as it stands? You now have a Rack with a Windows based app that clearly does not meet your needs at this point in time. You could simply return it, which IMO would be a mistake, or you could consider alternatives? If the latter is a possibility, I think we can help you with a number of suggestions.

Paul

Hi All, I am successfully using the X32-edit on my windows 8 PC touch screen laptop (an Acer). The issue of resizing has always been my main complaint about this App. However there is an important lesson we all need to understand about touch screens. That is how they are touched. If fingers are used then Touch screens need to have a large enough surface to easily distinguish the contact points. Pens Work but not well with windows. With Windows, Microsoft has had this capability since the early 2000's when for Business there was an attempt to introduce touch and hand writing on laptops. It failed miserably then but they have kept the controlling software around. Behringer has developed essentially one interface looking like the original X32 console. As we all have seen the Android based Mixing Station is filling a gap. I even use it on my touch PC using BlueStacks App Player, this provides a good mix solution during performances as well as the iPad. However when working with scenes off-line I find that the X32-edit works OK but needs a mouse. So I expect when Behringer gets around to it they may upgrade the windows and Mac version to have resize-ability. However this is more easily said than done since there are so many internal windows that need consideration for touch sizing.

I know that there are other Touch Mixers out there. They are expensive and have large screens. Also there are even apps that create touch screen buttons etc to control them separately. I saw one that was used to control a complex DAW.
    These are independent apps but they may help. Sorry but that is it for now, Behringer is concentrating on Functionality more than Form. I hope they take the next move to make form resizing available. I don't think that they will be going a lot further for now on function, there is a very full set of tools provided with the X32 Technology and they cover a lot of the sound business quite well.

Hope this helps.

Paul,
    Apology accepted..and appreciated.
    I am a dealer, so I won't be returning the RACK...LOL! Mixing it on the laptop is a no brainer, its just the tablet
    that gives me issues. I also use the tablet quite heavily with the X32 Console for ringing out monitors on stage.
    That is how I discovered the fader jumping issue. When it jumped and killed a horn in a wedge.
    Its not just the RACK operation that is effected by this for me, and I'm sure many others.
    I'm not a fan of third party apps and especially Android stuff. I made Verizon take back a android phone because it couldn't sync my Outlook Calendar without purchasing a third party app. My Blackberry syncs right up using the provided factory software automatically when I plug it in. THAT to me is how a factory app should work. I look for straight ahead business functionality without having to monkey around running emulator apps to run a different app. Too convoluted. I spend enough time dealing with department of taxation, US Dept of Transportation, maintaining the systems, doing bench work (repairs for customers), financial issues of purchasing a new line array, etc... All the fun stuff of being a one man operation in the shop. LOL! Only reason I had time to jump on the forum is I just had to take a little time for myself before I go bat$&%t crazy....LOL! So what do I do? I get on the forum and read about gear... Something is just WRONG with this picture....HHAHAHAHHAHA!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast