You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

View Poll Results: X32 Control Surface

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant Idea - I want one.

13 54.17%
  • Can see a market but I wouldn't use it.

4 16.67%
  • I already have a big X32

7 29.17%
  • No, terrible

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X32 Rack Remote Control Surface

Lightbulb X32 Rack Remote Control Surface

In essence the x32 is basically a big control surface directly built on top of the "x32 Core".

I have used the x32 and loved it, the scribble strips are great (provided either an iPad or connected computer for editing), the ease of use, even taught some fairly basic people how to use some of the basic functions.

But the issue being is that for smaller events that I would just want to mingle and use my iPad for the mixing surface I would have to have.
    x32 rack, 802.11 access point, iPad

For my bigger events, the x32 rack would become useless and unused taking up vital rack space and burning a hole in my very small pocket.

Ideal setup would be:
    x32 Control surface @FOH -> CAT5e (ethernet protocol) -> x32 Rack (StageRACK) + S16 (extra channels AES50)

Means that for small events I can take the same rack, for large events I just have to take my control surface and plug in Ethernet and power. I don't have to worry if the ethernet cable breaks or dies as I would have my iPad as a backup and all the processing and effects + pre amps are within the x32 Rack.

Requirements,
    x32 Control Surface: Look and feel the same as the X32(big one) without the weight and requirement of the XLR I/O on the back. May still be a good idea to have a USB interface for audio built into the control surface so a laptop for video / audio playback could still be used.
    Minimum IO,
    2x XLR - Booth/Monitor output
    1x XLR - Talkback
    2x TRS/RCA - External Audio Input
    1x USB - Audio Interface (4x4 interface for PC Audio & Basic Recording)
    1x USB - OSC/Midi Interface
    1x RJ45 - Ethernet / AES50

x32 Control Surface would then be perfect for Studio Mixers that want lots of channels.

Would love to know what you guys think about this, as it would enable Installations/Churches to have the X32 core/rack hidden away and "Midi Presets" and locked for basic services (or use ipad) until, a band is needed then can easily plug in the Control Surface and mix a full band with all the benifits of the full x32.

X32 Rack - ~£1200
    X32 Core - ~£800
    X32 - ~£2299

I would expect the X32 Control Surface to cost less than ~£900

I can see a market for this.

Would love to know what you guys think.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Please send a PM to John DiNicola to change your username to firstname lastname, as per forum policy.

Thanks for providing the details as you see it for this product. The poll is a great idea.

Paul

I'm going to move this over to the Feature Requests section

Paul

It has been hinted that there will be much tighter integration between x32’s in the v2 firmware. I'm quite positive that you will be able to use your x32-rack as a s-16 substitute in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEVILish View Post
    In essence the x32 is basically a big control surface directly built on top of the "x32 Core".

Ideal setup would be:
    x32 Control surface @FOH -> CAT5e (ethernet protocol) -> x32 Rack (StageRACK) + S16 (extra channels AES50)

Means that for small events I can take the same rack, for large events I just have to take my control surface and plug in Ethernet and power. I don't have to worry if the ethernet cable breaks or dies as I would have my iPad as a backup and all the processing and effects + pre amps are within the x32 Rack.

Requirements,
    x32 Control Surface: Look and feel the same as the X32(big one) without the weight and requirement of the XLR I/O on the back. May still be a good idea to have a USB interface for audio built into the control surface so a laptop for video / audio playback could still be used.
    Minimum IO,
    2x XLR - Booth/Monitor output
    1x XLR - Talkback
    2x TRS/RCA - External Audio Input
    1x USB - Audio Interface (4x4 interface for PC Audio & Basic Recording)
    1x USB - OSC/Midi Interface
    1x RJ45 - Ethernet / AES50

x32 Control Surface would then be perfect for Studio Mixers that want lots of channels.

Would love to know what you guys think about this, as it would enable Installations/Churches to have the X32 core/rack hidden away and "Midi Presets" and locked for basic services (or use ipad) until, a band is needed then can easily plug in the Control Surface and mix a full band with all the benifits of the full x32.

X32 Rack - ~£1200
    X32 Core - ~£800
    X32 - ~£2299

I would expect the X32 Control Surface to cost less than ~£900

I can see a market for this.

Would love to know what you guys think.
    That's exactly what new AVID modular S3L system is. Brilliant idea, bad implementation, I mean the design of the S3 control surface. Even the Presonus SL desks looks better from the design standpoint: bright, colorful, 3-dimensional, with clearly visible status lights under buttons. Try to figure out which channels are muted on S3L under the bright sun: NEVER WILL!

I would add these to desirable options list to the "X32 Control" dream control surface:
    - Another bank of 8 channel faders to the right of main bus/DCA faders. Kind of duplicate Venue Profile fader layout.
    - 8 out, 16 in XLR analog inputs (for patching outboard processors, most are mono in, stereo out)
    - 3 pair of AES3 didital I/O (like on MIDAS Pro 1, 2, 2c, for patching Driverack-4800 type processors

Overall, the S3L is a killer system, just because there's no other 64-channel system on the market that can be packed in airline checked baggage (rolling suitcases), indispensable for fly-in dates. If Behringer can make a control surface that will work with the X32 Core and at least three S16 stageboxes, and keep the price of the set under $6K US, it will be a serious blow to AVID: the cheapest S3L configuration with one 16/8 stagebox starts at $16K US. The only advantage left for AVID will be plugins and VENUE show files portability, but heck, for small gigs and with THAT MUCH of a price difference I can live without them!

Pics below are the illustration of how bad the AVID S3 control surface design is. Black desk is S3, silver is Presonus 24.4.2. Can you tell which channel on S3 is muted? And that was in dark Guitar Center showroom, not even outdoors!

I wish the dream "X32 Control" surface design will look like Presonus or even like old aluminum-finish Behringer analog mixers: Bright and colorful.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\AVIDS3L.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\Presonus24.jpg[/IMG]

I want it to be a 36 to 42 inch touch screen remote with an interface surface that looks just like the 32.
    Even if just the software is sold for an AIO PC line the HP Envy Rove or Sony Vaio Tap 21

The X32 Surface. Just like the Ravin MTi remote is for Protools

Hi Arik,

Welcome to the forum. I read your review over on the other forum. Thanks for posting it here as well. Unfortunately your images didn't upload correctly. You may want to try again. I'll try and watch for it and get it approved quickly. We have been having a bit of problems uploading here. Hoping after NAMM it will get sorted out.

Paul

I had to post my images with Photobucket and link em in.

Or how about X32 Glass? For a 36 to 42 inch touch screen interface.

Totally agree!!! I would love that X32 "Lego" version...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast