You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: DAW for the X32

JDodge01

DAW for the X32

What is the best DAW to use with the X32?? And why not some kind of software wasn't supplied with the board. You figure for the price we paid, something would of been nice.

I spend a lot of time in studios and therefore I need to know how to operate the most common audio sequenzer. Sadly I just have only very basic skills in Logic and ProTools, but I'm quite good with SawStudio, Cubase&Nuendo, StudioOne and Reaper. I found StudioOne runs nicely with the X32 (both Mac and PC), but it is not that stable in comparison to reaper or SAW. Just my personal experience. So, if you need a sequencer just for studio work, maybe look into Studio One. There is even a complety free version--> http://studioone.presonus.com/free

If you want to do live recordings, I would go with Reaper! Very stable, nice price and it comes with some important features for live recordings. F.e. you can record your tracks to two differnet paths and you have the option, to record in BradcastWave (wav.64) files. No need to worry about the 4GB file limit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Limitations).

Hope that helps.
    Christian
    Last edited by Christian Boche; 11-02-2012 at 02:52 AM.

I use to work with Presonus' Studio One as well, works really nice and it's worth thinking about buying the full version. You can dig into the system with the free version.

As was a Samplitude user for more than 15 years (before switching to Mac) I would recommend that DAW, too.

What you will need to manage on your system is a routing setup that differs from DAW to DAW. Most systems can manage templates that are easy to use once they're made. Always remember to start the DAW AFTER the hardware is plugged and seen by your computer.

Henry
    X32, MacBookPro 17 i7 Quad 2.2, Presonus Studio One Pro

Roblof
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Boche View Post
    I found StudioOne runs nicely with the X32 (both Mac and PC), but it is not that stable in comparison to reaper or SAW.
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Roblof View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure. Studio One crashes once in a while, when working with applications that uses lot's of RAM (samples, drumagog) and especially with the build in Melodyne. The 64bit version of S1 works notably better than the 32bit version concerning this topic. It never crashed, when I was just recording...but be careful when doing serious editing and mixing. I have one reaper rig as well, that never crashed within the last three years and I know two guys using reaper for doing live sound (like SAC).
    Just sayin'

Christian

When a rock solid live tracking behavior is on the wish list, than maybe look into Nuendo Live-->
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...endo_live.html
    It can restore even unsaved recordings after a power out! BTW: SAWstudio can fix a damaged header too...

I do not yet own an X32, but am doing the research to confirm whether or not to buy. I am considering it for one purpose: to mix live shows and record at the same time. I have MacBook Pro i7 with 16 GB RAM and a Glyph Firewire 800 external drive. On the Mac I am running Pro Tools 9 using Windows 7 via Bootcamp (long story why not the Mac OS...). My glyph drive uses the only Firewire port on the Mac. Can I really record 32 tracks at once via USB from the X32 without dropouts? I have no desire to do any manipulation in the DAW during the show. I will be focusing on live mixing for FOH and will mix the recorded show later back in my Pro Tools HD studio.
    Is anyone recording to Pro Tools with this console successfully?
    This board looks almost too good to be true for the price. I have had a couple of Behringer items break down in the past...reliability means a lot when recording live shows for a client!

Quote Originally Posted by beans View Post
    I do not yet own an X32, but am doing the research to confirm whether or not to buy. I am considering it for one purpose: to mix live shows and record at the same time. I have MacBook Pro i7 with 16 GB RAM and a Glyph Firewire 800 external drive. On the Mac I am running Pro Tools 9 using Windows 7 via Bootcamp (long story why not the Mac OS...). My glyph drive uses the only Firewire port on the Mac. Can I really record 32 tracks at once via USB from the X32 without dropouts? I have no desire to do any manipulation in the DAW during the show. I will be focusing on live mixing for FOH and will mix the recorded show later back in my Pro Tools HD studio.
    Is anyone recording to Pro Tools with this console successfully?
    This board looks almost too good to be true for the price. I have had a couple of Behringer items break down in the past...reliability means a lot when recording live shows for a client!
    There are some known issues with the archwave/bridgeco- driver/chipset when going with the USB port in your MAC. BUT it works absolutly flawless, when you use the firewire port of your Mac for audio. Yesterday I recorded a straight live session (5 hours!) with a X32 to my 2011 MBP (i7 with an 1TB build in disk, running with 64 Samples!) by using firewire and Nuendo live-->

http://soundforums.net/junior-varsit...html#post41431

Christian

winedup
    Personally, I record to Reaper, as the "footprint" of the software and associated overhead is VERY low. It also allows me to record the multitracks to *2* separate target locations, so if you want to send the band home with a set of masters, you can, while maintaining your own set for the studio.

Once I'm done capturing the raw WAV files at the venue, I'll bring them back to the studio, import them into my DAW of choice for mixing (Studio One V2) and the fun begins. I prefer the S1 workflow to Reaper for actual mixing, but the stability of Reaper for live recording can't be overlooked, IMHO.

Don

Thanks for the replies! Well, I am no longer a "future" buyer. I picked one up last evening and spend the better part of today digging into the console. My impressions so far are an overwhelming "how did a manufacturer get so much functionalitiy with such a low price?!!" Kudos to Behringer...this will make Yamaha rethink what they are doing.
    In the next couple of days I will be trying your suggestion of Reaper both by Firewire and by USB into my MacBook Pro to see how it goes. I will try with Pro Tools, also. I will report back...
    A blessed and thankful holiday to all.

I want to just post an update, because I am VERY pleased with my first recording experience with this console. For anyone wanting to mix FOH and record multitrack simultaneously, this just works.

Here's my setup:
    X32 card out by USB to my MacBook Pro i7. Recording to Pro Tools on an external Glyph hard drive attached to the Firewire 800 port on the Mac. All channels are assigned 1:1 into Pro Tools. The main L/R mixbuss from Pro Tools comes back to the X32 routed via the card to the Aux 1/2 inputs for confidence monitoring when recording.

No gain issues at all. Just by setting all of my head amp trims to not clip, all of my levels in Pro Tools came out great with no overs in a 90 minute show.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on a pair of S16's...anyone know when major retailers in the US will have them?

I am in a "thanks-giving" frame of mind

Beans