You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixbus Post Fader vs. Subgroup

Mixbus Post Fader vs. Subgroup

Hello,

i am a litte confused, because i cant finde the difference between setting a Mixbus up as Post Fader or Subgroup.
    So i would be very glad, if you could help me

Hi Lucas,

The definitions of the 2 terms should help.
    Mixbus - a mono bus, receiving mono signals from the channel strips
    Subgroup - a stereo paired bus (first one panned hard left, second one panned hard right), post fader, receiving stereo signals from the channel strips.

So in essence, if you linked 2 mixbusses (which automatically pans the pair left and right) and changed them as post fader, you would have the same thing as a subgroup. Choosing subgroup from the list simply does it all in one step.

Hope that helps

Paul

ok, thank you. i head that explanation in my mind, too, but when i select subgroup, the x32 -edit does not link the 2 mixbusses automatically. i had to do that bei own?

Wow, you are right Lucas - that's a bug that needs fixing. If you choose subgroup on the console, it will link them and pan them and make them post fader.

Paul

ok. thank you Paul! now everything is clear to me. i thought, i was wrong

I am setting up a preset for a show on sunday and do not have the X32 with me, so i am only on the x32-edit, which works fine till now. But if it works as it should at the console, everything is fine

Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Wow, you are right Lucas - that's a bug that needs fixing. If you choose subgroup on the console, it will link them and pan them and make them post fader.

Paul
    I don,t think it's a bug. In that case you can do a mono mix of a stereo bus or you can use it to split it to two subgroups.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't use subgroups in a mono setup? I've been using them for a while now in mono. I haven't noticed any negative affects. The mix buses did not link or pan when I set them up.

I thought the major difference was that subgroups acted like subgroups on a analog console, a channel is either sent to the subgroup or not (using the mute buttons when in Sends on Fader. the faders have no effect in this mode), Whereas a post fader mix bus has a send level that can be adjusted, like a post fader aux sends on an analog console.

Just took another quick look at the manual (page 29). Didn't see anything about stereo when skimming section 5.9.

Am I confused?

Hey Joel,

I got looking at the manual as well, since I had to double-check what I posted. And you are correct. It says nothing about the stereo linking. We rarely use subgroups at our church, since we use the P16's. But I was sure when I did use one, it automatically linked and panned. Now I have to go to the church (where the X32 console is) and verify. I could be mistaken - or they changed the default in one of the firmware updates and I didn't notice.

Paul

What is even more confusing is the popup screen in X32-Edit when you choose from that list.
    Even though the mixbus is mono, it says
    "Change all channel sends to this mixbus pair?
    All sends to this pair will be set to -00!"
    That needs correcting.

Anyone have an X32 in front of them to check if this is the same and what it actually does to the mixbus when choosing the subgroup option?

Paul

Ignore that last post. Mixbuses are always paired, but not necessarily linked. Sorry about the confusion.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast