You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Crossover Cable Cat5e

Crossover Cable Cat5e

Hi Gang

We just pick-up our system. X-32 and 2 S16s. We also got 2 Rapco Duracat Cable 1 @250' and 1@ 30' so we can put a boxes at the two back corners of the stage. It turns out that the 30' is labeled a Crossover Cable. Should we be concerned? Or will it work with either config? It all seems to be working fine in the shop with a couple of mics but in practice we will certainly be pushing the mic count up. Thanks

I would think there will be issues with the crossover sooner or later. I believe the type b wiring is what you should be using. I also wonder if it matters seeing that pin to pin wise, the equipment doesn't see color codes, it sees actual connections and those would be the same pin to pin either side. I also think only 4 of the 8 wires carry any signal, and maybe they are not what is crossed over...not sure but my 2 cents...

You will likely have a problem IF you use a crossover with the non crossover together via adapter. I would take it back and get both the same...some day down the road, you'll forget you have it, connect 2 together for some arbitrary length situation and it wont work....

Hi Ross,

Cross-over cables will either work or not work. So if everything is working, you should be fine. Most modern network type of equipment are auto-negotiating and sense whether the right cable configuration is connected and adjusts accordingly. That is why you rarely see cross-over cables anymore (cross-overs switch pins 2 and 6). And I believe the AES50 has that built-in.

Paul

I'm pretty sure Crossover cables do not work. I thought I remember Joe or John mentioning that once.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Hi Ross,

Cross-over cables will either work or not work. So if everything is working, you should be fine. Most modern network type of equipment are auto-negotiating and sense whether the right cable configuration is connected and adjusts accordingly. That is why you rarely see cross-over cables anymore (cross-overs switch pins 2 and 6). And I believe the AES50 has that built-in.

Paul
    +1. What Paul said.

There may be an issue with mixing and matching cross over and non cross over cables depending on how the firmware is written and hardware is configured.