You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Whole Lotta Love Vocal Pre-Echo

Lightbulb Whole Lotta Love Vocal Pre-Echo

In Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, 4:00 minutes into the song there is a vocal break with the words:
    "Way down inside"
    "Woman... you need"
    And you hear a softer version of the words 1 second before the full volume version.
    (I'm sure you all know the part I'm talking about. Blogs say it is magnetic tape bleed through and was just a happy accident and they decided to leave it in.)
    I am trying to accomplish the same effect.
    It would seem that by turning the main fader on the vocal channel way down and sending the signal to the delay pre fader would accomplish this, but I can't figure out how to send a pre-fader signal to the delay.
    Thanks for any ideas.

Dan
    Dan Haynes danhaynes42@hotmail.com
    X32, Two X32 Racks, dbx PA+, MacBook Pro, 2 iPad's (1 sound, 1 lights). Yorkville LS2100P, NX750P.

Super User
    Hey Dan,

On the X32-Edit (I don't have the X32 in front of me), choose the channel, then home, sends. On the send to the delay (eg 13), just below the mute you will see post fader. Click on that and it will toggle through pre-EQ, post-EQ, pre-fader, post-fader. There is probably a way to do it on the console, but I don't recall at the moment.

Paul

Fiona Hammond
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Haynes View Post
    I can't figure out how to send a pre-fader signal to the delay.
    Hi Dan,

On the X32, SELECT the channel. Press the VIEW button in the BUS SENDS section. You will be presented with the channel's 16 sends. Select the mixbus, which you assigned the delay to, with the sixth encoder. press the LAYER DOWN button. Use the relevant encoder under the screen to change that channel's send to PRE.

You can also take the route Paul described to get to the channel's SENDS tab (SELECT channel>HOME>SENDS).

Kind Regards,
    Fiona Hammond
    CARE
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    I've seen Led Zep tributes accomplish this by having the guitarist sing those pre/softer parts then the lead singer going for the gusto.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Thank you Paul, Fiona and Henry. I think what my main problem was is that I was trying to accomplish it with the iPad interface and it isn't as obvious there. I've since found it on the iPad.
    Part of it was a matter of pride in the X32. The singer kept going on about how he could do it with an Echoplex (I'm assuming he meant a Roland-201 Space Echo. I had one a long time ago. It is about the only way to get some of the feedback speeding up effects like on Boston). I just wanted to seamlessly prove to him that the X32 could do it. I videoed myself doing it perfectly and I'll show it to him tonight at rehearsal.
    This is for a project called "Uncle Zep". You can go to http://www.unclezep.com to see a video. This thing is just getting off the ground.
    Thanks again.
    Dan Haynes danhaynes42@hotmail.com
    X32, Two X32 Racks, dbx PA+, MacBook Pro, 2 iPad's (1 sound, 1 lights). Yorkville LS2100P, NX750P.

Super User
    That's really cool, Dan. Great to know you were able to figure it out, just to show him it can be done on the X32. Pride in this platform is a good thing, and there is lots of that here. Let us know if there is anyway we can help.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Haynes View Post
    Thank you Paul, Fiona and Henry. I think what my main problem was is that I was trying to accomplish it with the iPad interface and it isn't as obvious there. I've since found it on the iPad.
    Part of it was a matter of pride in the X32. The singer kept going on about how he could do it with an Echoplex (I'm assuming he meant a Roland-201 Space Echo. I had one a long time ago. It is about the only way to get some of the feedback speeding up effects like on Boston). I just wanted to seamlessly prove to him that the X32 could do it. I videoed myself doing it perfectly and I'll show it to him tonight at rehearsal.
    This is for a project called "Uncle Zep". You can go to http://www.unclezep.com to see a video. This thing is just getting off the ground.
    Thanks again.
    That's awesome!
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Magnetic tape bleed? The story I heard (or actually, overheard during a discusssion with Eddie Kramer) was that while mixing the final version in the studio and under the effects of a variety of substances, they simply mixed up the vocal fader and the effect return fader. Upon discovering their error on playback, they liked it and just left it that way.