You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about performing firmware updates

Quick question about performing firmware updates

Hey there,

Just got my x32 installed last night I plan on using it this Sunday, hopefully I'm not being too ambitious.

It came with firmware version 1.08 so, naturally, I want to update to the latest version, 1.13. I tried to do this, but did not succeed. I know that the x32 can be picky about USB drives, so I thought that was the problem, however, I was able to load and save shows from/to my USB drive and I was able to record and playback to/from it as well. If the USB drive was the problem, I assumed that it would not work at all. Is that correct?

This morning I re-read the notes that come with the firmware and the section on updating in the manual and noticed that it did not explicitly say to unzip the firmware file. I did unzip it and placed only the contents of the zip file on my USB drive. I'm thinking now that I should have place the zip file itself on the drive instead. Which is the correct way to do it?

I'll be playing with it again tonight, so I'd like to get a list of things to try before I go back. x32-Edit won't even connect at this point, saying that the firmware is incompatible (or something like that).

Thanks for your help!
    Joel

Super User
    Hi Joel,

Yes the firmware update process can be a bit tricky. You are correct that it isn't clear in the doc that you have to unzip the files and put in the root of the USB. But that is what you have to do.

The next snag is to get the X32 to recognize the firmware update and reboot. Most of the time it won't do that for me (and I've tried a number of various brands of USB sticks). To force the X32 to reboot, you need to go to the Setup, configure screen. Second column is Sample Rate - change that to the other sample rate (eg. if it is at 48.0 khz, change it to 44.1 khz). It will prompt you that it needs to reboot. Push the right button (on right side of X32) to accept. That will force a reboot and will read and load the firmware update.

Yes the current version of X32-Edit will only work with firmware 1.13

Paul

Thanks for your quick reply Paul.

That is a rather strange procedure. I'll give this a try tonight and report back.

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear JoelMac,

unzip the file and place the .update file on the top layer on your usb device. Afterwards the desk will find the firmware and update so you can use the X32-Edit software.

Hi Michael,

That's exactly what I did. When I turned the desk on, with the USB device connected on the top panel, it started normally. I checked the firmware version and it still said 1.08. I tried this 3 or 4 times, all with the same result. Are you able to confirm if Paul's solution would give me better results?

Thanks.

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear JoelMac,

this may help. If not you should try another USB device (stick/HD/...)

Super User
    Hey Joel,

That solution (changing sample rate) works every time for me. I had tried the other method using about a dozen different USB sticks and only one time did it work. And when I used the same stick on the next update, it didn't work. I had to revert to changing the sample rate. One caveat, if you need the console to play and record at say 44.1 khz, don't forget to change it back (and reboot) after the upgrade.

Paul

Is there an official behringer approved (tested and confirmed) usb stick list anywhere? I looked around here and didn't see any list (but I miss stuff that way a lot)..needs to be if not in my humble opinion. This may be the bigger issue with updates. I know my x32 updated firmware perfectly using an older 512mb Attache usb stick and the 'official' instructions. It's the only one I own that will work. I've tried formatting several other brands and sizes and still don't think I have another drive that works. Would go out and buy some if I knew for sure which ones worked. Finding a little 512mb drive these days is next to impossible...under 4gig is as well for that matter. I did extract the zip and copied the file to root directory of that drive but it otherwise worked fine.

Well it's definitely worth a try. I will try this tonight. It's not that I didn't believe you, Paul. I just wanted to see if I could get a little more official information from Behringer. I only own two USB drives, I don't think I want to buy a dozen of them in the hopes that one will work.

Another question for you, Paul: Do you have any problems with any of those drives when used with the x32 for purposes other than firmware updates, like recording or saving/loading shows, scenes, etc.?

Super User
    Hi Joel,

No, never had a problem with file saving or recording with any of the USB sticks. And no, I didn't take it that way (not believing me). I just wanted to emphasize my experience. For the record, it was Joe Sanborn or John DiNicola (both from Behringer) that originally tipped me off with this alternative last December when I first struggled with my first update that wouldn't work. So this solution is an officially sanctioned one.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast