You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link 2 x X32s to get 64 channels ?

Question Link 2 x X32s to get 64 channels ?

Hi all
    I have a function coming up where i need more than 32 channels and as i have 2 X32s available can i connect them together? (somehow) so that Desk 1 feeds 32 channels into desk 2 which has its own 32 channels and acts as the "master" with all the outputs/aux etc run from the Master /desk 2 for all 64 input channels ,
    I have searched the forums but I don't think i am asking the right search term! I would rather not have to buy extra/digital snakes etc but all options considered
    Thanks for your help
    Mark G

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear Mark,

you can only send the master out of the first X32 to channels of the second X32. There is no linking possible in that way that you will have a 64 channel console.

Super User
    Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. The question is, do you have to mix more than 32 channels at any one time? If not, with multiple S16's and a little planning, you can swap between inputs of the X32 and S16's using scenes. For instance, if you have a show with multiple bands and want to dedicate a group of 32 channels for each band, then simply re-route the inputs between the S16s.

Paul

What would the latency be connecting Main out from first console to aux in on the second console....???

That would make it possible although it will limit possibilities with regards to monitors at least IF foh consoles also has to take care of monitor mixes

Thanks very much Michael, Paul & Lars for your responses, unfortunately that wasn't the answers I wanted to hear , but still loving the X32 Btw Michael and considering your response Paul I have also realised that with a bit of juggling of my own i could get by using both desks and all i need to do is (as suggested ) "send the master out of the first X32 to channels of the second X32" (lets call the 2nd X32 the Master X32).and also at a convenient break in the proceedings all i have to do is re-plug the Monitors (x4) and delay towers/upstairs fills (x 3) from the master x32 into the slave x32 this would mean that i would have access to the "slave" 32 channels when i required them through FoH as well as monitors /fills. I don't have any s16s available Paul or any budget for them , however what would happen if i throw a X32 Rack into the situation ? would anything change ? I assume not (Michael?) as it is just the same as another x32 I assume However (Michael) as you are in RnD surely you could program in something that would mean i could connect 1 cable out of 1 console into the other console carrying the 32 input channels or even some of them , now that is a challenge for you ? Please Hurry up I need it by September Thanks also to Lars but regardless of the latency the lack of monitoring per channel /input as you stated does miss the point

Michael.Maeurer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Kildholt View Post
    What would the latency be connecting Main out from first console to aux in on the second console....???

That would make it possible although it will limit possibilities with regards to monitors at least IF foh consoles also has to take care of monitor mixes

Dear Lars,

the latency would be below 1ms.

Hello,

in an earlier thread in a german forum I already discribed a "way of linking" two X32. but it depends on your situation:

1.) You have more than 32 Channels, but NOT more than 32 Channels at the same time: You can use multiple S16 and local inputs and than rout the channels as you need, then save this as preset.

2.) You have more than 32 Chanels in use at the same time:
    This is a bit tricky because of the routing configuration and you will NOT have a 64/32 Channel Console! You will lose much Channels! And Mute Groups are only available on one desk, DCA´s also.
    first x 32: use Aux In 1+2 for main Sum from second X32. Signal directly to main out. Route Aux 3,4,5,6 plus inputs ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32 (for use as Gruop Channels) directly to Group/FX/Monitormix 1,2,3,4,...16. use the 16 Analog outs for your needs(monitor out, main out...) Input Channels 1-20 remain for Signals from Stage,...

second X32: use Input Channels 1-32 plus Aux ins for your signals from stage,.... Configure 16 SubGroups und send them directly to analog out 1-16, these channels have to be connected to first x32 to Aux3,4,5, input 21,22,....,32.

This is for "analog" cabling. If you want to do that with s 16 you will propably loose more channels (routingin blocks of 8).

So in this "worst Case" , where all 16 Groups were used, you will have "one" 58/16 Desk. It could be slightly more, if you free up some Group channels.

I hope you can follow my thaughts. Please excause my english, i am not native.....

Would have been nice if the old DDX3216 idea had been implemented -- a 25 way d type on the back allowed you to link 2 together to function as a complete sinlge desk but im sure with all the routing options available on the X32 (and the helpfull bunch on this forum), you will be able to daisy chain 2 (or more??) together to get where you need to be

Dave

Super User
    I've been mulling over the essence of this thread, Mark. And the question keeps coming back to me. Do you actually have to (in the absolute sense) mix more than the 32 + 8 Aux inputs, that the X32 was really designed for, at any one time?

The reason why this question keeps nagging me is because I've done sound for some groups (one comes to mind in particular) that had multiple instruments (accoustic guitars in particular) and numerous vocals all singing at once for all the songs all the time. After doing a few gigs with one of these groups in particular, I sat back and re-evaluated what was actually happening. Because my biggest question at that point was, why can I not get a decent sound out the FOH. It finally dawned on me that there was way too much of the same thing coming in and just making a bowl of mush. And I was expected to do miracles and make it sound good. When I approached the leader and suggested that they put a little variety in their repertoire and have some musicians come in at different times and different songs, the response I got was he didn't want to hurt peoples feelings. Once the light came on, I promptly stopped doing sound for that scenario.

I guess there are specific venues and reasons that require mixing more than 32 channels at once. But I wouldn't want to be responsible to have a perfect mix in that scenario. I've had a couple of events that required all 24 channels of my analog console (one that I can remember was a fund raisers with 6 rock groups, and another was a full production of Pollyanna). But I was quite busy the whole evening. If that had been doubled in channel total, would I really be truly effective in mixing it for the complete event? I don't think so.

With the X32 platform, it is really designed to mix 32 + 8 Aux at any one time. But with the scene, changeable scribble strips, unbelievable routing capability, and multiple stageboxes (S16) functionality built into the design, with a bit of pre-planning and creativity, the X32 is actually trying to help the FOH sound engineer become most effective in actually mixing the event.

Why try and make it do what it wasn't really designed for? Why not instead, do a paradigm shift in thinking how best to do something?

Just some food for thought

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 07-24-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks now to Lucas, David and Paul for your contributions. Firstly, David, Exactly ! that's where i came in as I have 3 x DDX3216 and even though I have never done what you suggested I knew it was possible in the back of my mind as i have used those desks for about 7 years , my studio DDX has been on 20 hours a day for most of that time! Lucas Thank you i follow you completely and if decide to go that way i will give it a go and let you know what happens Which brings me to Paul , Prior to your post and after the definitive "NoN" from Micheal I too have been re-evaluating everything . The event features full band with brass section with string section and up to 16 vocalists/live mics although most of the time it could be much less vocals. I did want to take it easy and plug everyone into their own channel and just work with mute groups , however since the initial post/responses I have chucked (you may not find that in your dictionary Lucas ) a few mics overboard so i think i will manage with 40 channels/ utilizing the Aux inputs as well which means that i will have access to all the monitor/sends/etc without any witchcraft , I am with you completely on your thoughts Paul, 40+ channels is much too greedy but the venue (originally a very old church) needs everyone to be Very "close miced" but only slightly lifted through the PA so I have decided that 8 of the BVs will have to "cuddle up" thanks very much for all your input I will let you know how it goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast