You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Help adding Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600 to our live rig

Post Help adding Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600 to our live rig

We've been using a Euromixer PMP5000 for the last 4 or 5 years as our band's main live mixer. It's done a great job for us so far. We have wanted to add a compressor/limiter/noise gate to our live rig for some time now to help polish our sound even further.

I just picked up a Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600 and am hoping that it'll fit the bill for us. I need help with three things:

1. How best to wire it into our rig and
    2. How to properly set up and configure the MDX2600 to do its job. The manual really wasn't very helpful in learning to use it properly - it assumes that I know more than I do about the proper use of compression etc. in a live sound environment.
    3. I also have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. Can it it also be incorporated into our live rig, along with the MDX2600?

We really appreciate whatever advice this community can offer.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the long wait for someone to reply. I tend to focus on the X32 section, but also try and watch the other sections to see if I can be of any help. Somehow this slip by.

Regarding the Composer Pro-XL, I use these for compressing vocals. In order to do that, you will need a couple of insert cables (1/4" TRS to two 1/4" TS), one for each channel. Plug the "tip" 1/4" TS into the input of the one compressor channel and the "ring" into the output of that channel. Then plug the 1/4" TRS (stereo) into the insert of the vocal channel on the console (at the top of the channel strip, just below the line input). For vocal settings, I usually use the following parameters to start out with: threshold around -10db, ratio of 2.0-3.0, use interactive mode. The Pro-XL also has a de-esser section if the vocal has problems with the siblance issue ("ssss") and can be switched from male to female.

For the Feedback Destroyer Pro (I have 2 of these units), I use these for the monitor mixes with the #2 setting, and they work marvelously. I never have to worry about feedback on the stage. I assume you are using the amps built into the PM5000. If so, you will need to hookup differently than what I have (my amps are separate from the console). If you are running only one monitor mix (and the other side of the amps for the main FOH),you will need an insert cable (as explained above). Plug the 1/4" "tip" into one of the input channels of the Feedback Destroyer and the "ring" into the output of that channel. Then plug the 1/4" TRS (stereo) into the PWR AMP Insert jack (top left - beside the Phones/Control jack) - L or R, whichever your monitors are being fed by.

Hope that helps

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 07-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Personally, I like having the feedback destroyer in the chain with the compressor, and use a graphic EQ on the house. You would use 1/4" patch cables to out of the compressor into the FeedbackDestroyer, then the ring of the TRS to go back into the board from the output of the FeedbackDestroyer (FD - I'm getting tried of typing that one out).

Reason being, FD drops frequencies to eliminate feedback from mics. But when you hook it up to the Inserts for the Mains, it drops frequencies from the entire mix, not just the mic. So the guitars, or keys can have "dead notes" in the mix. But when you chain it off the vocals, it only effects those mics and not your overall sound. If you only have one FD and multiple mics that are acting up, (if they're the same brand since all mics have a different frequency response and will feedback with different values) you could put all your mics on a single subgroup and use the insert for that group instead.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Good idea, Brian. Thanks for suggesting that.

Paul

We all have our 'drothers. =)
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Actually you got me thinking about this, Brian. What you say is correct, and I'm a firm believer of fixing problems at the source, if at all possible. I've just ran the Aux outs from my analog console through the FD's to the monitor amps out of sheer laziness. I don't have to worry about feedback on the monitors - only concerned about the mix the musicians ask for. Then I can concentrate on the FOH. Once I get the Rack and make the transition to digital, I'm going to try that setup with the FD's inserted in the vocal channels, since that is where any potential feedback would occur. Again thanks for suggesting that.

Paul

No Problem. I've found it most useful with people on lavaliers/countryman style mics.

Guys, this is great. We really appreciate your guidance. I picked up the Insert cables today and am going to try hooking everything up tomorrow night for use at our rehearsal. I'll let you know how if goes. Thanks again for all your help.

Dave