You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest/smallest solution to enlarge screen? (+ min system requirements X-edit)

Cheapest/smallest solution to enlarge screen? (+ min system requirements X-edit)

Hi All,

this is my first post here and I would like to make this one count

Just recieved our first (2 more are planned) X32, so far I love it!
    Haven't used it live yet, will be doing 50 shows in october/november on it as monitor engineer for a theatre tour...

But in my opinion, the 7" screen is badly placed, because when you're sitting behind the desk (theatre style) you have to really approach the screen to capture all the info..
    Also my colleague hasn't got perfect vision and hates to work with his glasses on...

My original idea was to use a raspberry PI with arch linux to run X-Edit in follow mode hooked up to a computer screen...
    But Arc Linux and X-edit don't work together..

Next solution was a old mini computer I had in my storage, (1,6 ghz 512 mb ram with XP) but the latency was horrible (5-10 seconds, sometimes screen didn't load and it actually affected the desk when quickly going through different fx engines)...

I tried it with my laptop (HP envy ultrabook thingy) ,this worked great! (also with the touchscreen, nice)..
    But the laptop has different purposes during the tour (recording, virtual soundcheck, notes, etc.)

But now I'm looking for a mini pc solution to run X-edit on in follow mode (there's no need to be able to adjust things from this system)...

1. What are the minimal system requirements to run X-edit smoothly in Ubuntu????
    (my guess, dual core 2ghz with 4 gb ram)
    2. Do you guys know any solution (< €200,-) for this?

I checked allot of second hand shops for "older" office mini pc's, 19" computers, etc..
    A 2nd hand Mac Mini came to mind, but they're rare with the correct specs...

How did everybody do this?
    Or does somebody have an idea?

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay of posting. But John responded to your other post explaining the reason.

Sorry to hear that the Arc Linux doesn't handle the X32-Edit. My solution for a mini laptop was an HP 2530p (dual core, 4Gb, 12.1" LCD, 160Gb) that I picked up off ebay for $160 Canadian. I'm running dual boot Vista Business 64 (what it came with) and Fedora 19. X32-Edit works with both very smoothly with negligible latency. Fedora is there in case Vista ever craps out.

Hope that helps

Paul

I'm running it fine on 2 gigs of ram. You can do even less if you disable a lot of other system processes that aren't needed.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Hi Robert -- welcome on board mate.

I use one of the acer netbooks to run xedit and also record using reaper (yes all 32 channels at once as a test), with no problems at all.

If you have a quick search through my posts you will find the spec and model number i use if thats any help (i dont have it with me as im on holiday, and on a slow internet connection)

Best Wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Thomson View Post
    Hi Robert -- welcome on board mate.

I use one of the acer netbooks to run xedit and also record using reaper (yes all 32 channels at once as a test), with no problems at all.

If you have a quick search through my posts you will find the spec and model number i use if thats any help (i dont have it with me as im on holiday, and on a slow internet connection)

Best Wishes

Dave
    Thnx Dave...
    A netbook with full 32 channels of recording? Wow
    I don't trust my ultrabook with that (if the recording has a commercial use)

I'm not looking for a laptop solution, because I want to work with TFT screens we have (possibility: on a mic stand when around monitor desk)...
    This for easier placing on f.o.h. in theatres (sometimes limited room)

Im not sure this counts as cheapest, i built it for another reason and i dont remember total cost BUT i use a Zbox Nano It comes with a vesa mount so you can attach it to the back of some monitors, Check which one you are getting though, have to get some adapters perhaps, or maybe not depending. Im setup with a 7" touch panel VGA/USB normaly for a car computer so i had to adapt from display port to vga. sturdy little silent box. Runs windows xp 4gb on a 60gb vertex ssd. lightning fast, handled 16 tracks over usb.(most ive needed to use) Has wifi and if you have an hdmi/analogue audio tap has 8 channel audio out. if i did it again id try to get one specifically for this purpose. They have firewire varients ect...
    Worth looking into. bought it bare bones and got the other components together myself.

Well,

I certainly agree about the screen size but compared to a SL24 board, its practically luxurious.

That said, we parked a Mac Mini, M-Audio interface and a WAP/Router in the doghouse for good measure and then added a 19" ELO touchscreen on an adjustable arm. Then we use a trackpad and the "four-finger" swipe to switch between full screen "desktops" on the monitor.

Here's our different "screens" to swipe between. Setup in a 4x2 pattern. So you swipe the trackpad with four fingers, which shrinks the screen and exposes all 8 at the top of the screen. then you tap which one you want and it becomes your new fullscreen desktop.

we tried "swiping" with the touchscreen, but with 8 windows, turned out to be a big PIA, so this is what we came up with for now...

1. X-Edit in presentation mode (FOH usually we use for a reference as the Monitor/Stage manager is also on X-Edit for monitors)

2. Tracktion (replaced Studio One, as it has a memory leak and sucks resources) if we want to grab some DAW of the show

3. Waves MultiRack, say it with me, god bless the C4! (bummer we cant run 2 & 3 at the same time, the external hardware required is outside the budget)

4. Faber Acoustical (FFT, etc.. fed by a DBX ref mic(L) going through the M-Audio + plus a signal from the X32 itself(R) just for giggles

5. DMX software for the lights

6. DJ Software, iMixx

7. iTunes (to play the songs we actually want to here during line check)

8. DBX Driveware for the Driverack 260 running the mains (via USB/Serial interface over one of the Cat5's in the snake to the rack, the monitors are all Driverack PX's and preset) We use Crossover to run the windows app on OSX but porting the USB port to work right is a Bi%h.

So, no. Its not cheap for "Meters only" kinda thing. We have a new Mini and maxed it out at 16gb of ram. But it doesn't even blink running all of this at the same time. If you soak Multirack with too much, that of course that changes a bit, or a lot.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, you can go "Slim", but if you put a few bucks into it. you can really do a lot more...

just some ideas to consider

Quote Originally Posted by D.R. Lynn View Post
    Well,

I certainly agree about the screen size but compared to a SL24 board, its practically luxurious.

That said, we parked a Mac Mini, M-Audio interface and a WAP/Router in the doghouse for good measure and then added a 19" ELO touchscreen on an adjustable arm. Then we use a trackpad and the "four-finger" swipe to switch between full screen "desktops" on the monitor.

Here's our different "screens" to swipe between. Setup in a 4x2 pattern. So you swipe the trackpad with four fingers, which shrinks the screen and exposes all 8 at the top of the screen. then you tap which one you want and it becomes your new fullscreen desktop.

we tried "swiping" with the touchscreen, but with 8 windows, turned out to be a big PIA, so this is what we came up with for now...

1. X-Edit in presentation mode (FOH usually we use for a reference as the Monitor/Stage manager is also on X-Edit for monitors)

2. Tracktion (replaced Studio One, as it has a memory leak and sucks resources) if we want to grab some DAW of the show

3. Waves MultiRack, say it with me, god bless the C4! (bummer we cant run 2 & 3 at the same time, the external hardware required is outside the budget)

4. Faber Acoustical (FFT, etc.. fed by a DBX ref mic(L) going through the M-Audio + plus a signal from the X32 itself(R) just for giggles

5. DMX software for the lights

6. DJ Software, iMixx

7. iTunes (to play the songs we actually want to here during line check)

8. DBX Driveware for the Driverack 260 running the mains (via USB/Serial interface over one of the Cat5's in the snake to the rack, the monitors are all Driverack PX's and preset) We use Crossover to run the windows app on OSX but porting the USB port to work right is a Bi%h.

So, no. Its not cheap for "Meters only" kinda thing. We have a new Mini and maxed it out at 16gb of ram. But it doesn't even blink running all of this at the same time. If you soak Multirack with too much, that of course that changes a bit, or a lot.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, you can go "Slim", but if you put a few bucks into it. you can really do a lot more...

just some ideas to consider
    Wow, nice!
    But this all exceeds the costs of the X32?

Mac mini € 1300,-
    Elo touchscreen € 900,-
    Decent Router € 50,-
    this is almost the same as a X32 without VAT (above prices are incl)

Let alone the software + plugins (assuming we're thinking legal)

But it's a good idea!

I tried running Xedit + recording during a small gig (16 inputs 5 returns) yesterday on my laptop, without a bump...
    First i'm gonna try only with my laptop + external screen..
    Maybe expand later on....

D.R. Lynn, if you get a chance could please post a pic of this setup? If you can't get one to post if you could send me a PM. I am interested in getting a visual of what you are doing. I might do something along the same lines for myself.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

robert,
    you are correct, stuffing all of this in to the doghouse raises the price. (a lot)

but we paid only $80 US for the touchscreen on eBay, and Waves live has beet putting a lot of their best plugins on sale lately,
    moe than half price sometimes. So if your patient, it can be done and not break the bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast