You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: I cant understand Behringers ways of thinking.

  1. #31
    Costa Lakoumentas
    Guest

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Thank you Costa, and welcome to the forum. Glad to know the reason finally. But it would have helped it this had been explained earlier, or at least explained in the Release Notes for this update (yes some of us actually read these).

    But if this is the case, would not this solution also help potential problems on the Windows platform as well, since this is a bug between OSC and USB? If so, should us Windows users also update this firmware?

    Paul
    Hey Paul,

    Thanks for the welcome. Look, we always have to make a judgement call on how much detail is published. Clearly, X32 users come from a very large and disparate community. Some are wizened pros and others are volunteering for their faith. Maybe we need to pay more attention to the needs of this group of inquisitive users. Noted.

    As for your question on behalf of Windows users, all I can do is share a personal opinion. I always upgrade the firmware whether I have experienced an issue or not. That goes for computers, audio gear or anything else that runs on code. You just never know when it will be needed. In this case, the update is for Mac users, but...

    Best,

    C

    Costa Lakoumentas
    SVP, Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    www.music-group.com

  2. #32
    Costa Lakoumentas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Monroe View Post
    You know, after reflecting on this, why not include information like this in the release notes. I've seen some incredibly simple and incredibly detailed release notes in my day (not that long I might add) and the ones I've read from the X32 section tend to lean more toward the former, rather than the latter. Would it really hurt anyone (other than the engineers having to write it all) to include more indepth information like this in all the release notes, even if it's at the end? Like simple version first, then talk over our heads?





    I had a good chuckle when I pictured someone hauling their X32 into a Public library to do the update on a Windows box. Some guy rolling a huge flight case in and pausing at the front desk... "Excuse me miss, where do you keep the "Windows" computers?
    Not a bad idea, and we will discuss it. I personally prefer to err on the side of more detail, but believe me, it can be a problem for many users.

    Look, I live in Redmond WA and many of my neighbors work for MS. By the looks of their lawns there must be some PCs running Windows out there.

    Costa Lakoumentas
    SVP, Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    www.music-group.com

  3. #33
    Costa Lakoumentas
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Thank you Costa, and welcome to the forum. Glad to know the reason finally. But it would have helped it this had been explained earlier, or at least explained in the Release Notes for this update (yes some of us actually read these).

    But if this is the case, would not this solution also help potential problems on the Windows platform as well, since this is a bug between OSC and USB? If so, should us Windows users also update this firmware?

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    The issue is actually between OSX, the Apple operating system and USB. I just want to make sure we don't confuse it with the OSC control protocol that we use on X32.

    Best,

    Costa Lakoumentas
    SVP, Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    www.music-group.com

  4. #34
    Allow me to ask one more question on this native Win or Mac update scenario:
    Will a Windows (btw - what version?) vitualisation (Parallels / Fusion / ...) work on a Mac to update the X32 through the virtualized Windows then?

  5. #35
    Hi Costa -- welcome on board mate, and good to finally get a solid answer. A lot of frustration and argument could have been avoided if someone away back at the start of the thread had given this answer, instead of letting us all reach boiling point over such a time period. This is what we are asking to be avoided -- simple answers. Even if its not the answer people want to hear, at least giving a valid reason as to why something was / was not done keeps the faith in Behringer that they are listening (remember the original logo??).

    many Thanks

    Dave

  6. #36
    Super User Paul Vannatto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    SW Ontario Canada
    Posts
    4,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa Lakoumentas View Post
    Hi Paul,

    The issue is actually between OSX, the Apple operating system and USB. I just want to make sure we don't confuse it with the OSC control protocol that we use on X32.

    Best,

    Costa Lakoumentas
    SVP, Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    www.music-group.com
    Thanks Costa,

    OSC and OSX. I guess I need to go have my eye exam done once again. My bifocals are failing me

    Paul

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sothern California
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Luedecke View Post
    Allow me to ask one more question on this native Win or Mac update scenario:
    Will a Windows (btw - what version?) vitualisation (Parallels / Fusion / ...) work on a Mac to update the X32 through the virtualized Windows then?
    Probably not since the signals to the USB are still filtered through the host OS (OS X) and you'll get the same bug as if you tried uploading from OS X propper and could brick your card. If you're really stuck with only Apple Hardware, your best bet is to use virtualization through Linux, or use bootcamp to dual boot and fully boot into Windows. PM me if you want some tips on how to set it up.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sothern California
    Posts
    422
    You know, I don't know why I never asked before, but why not update the card over Firewire? It would be easy to set an OSX installer script to only search for the device over Firewire instead of USB. (unless there's a known Firewire issue)
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Monroe View Post
    Would it really hurt anyone (other than the engineers having to write it all) to include more indepth information like this in all the release notes, even if it's at the end? Like simple version first, then talk over our heads?
    Bahringer and others should take example from Cockos/Reaper, not only they inform, not only do they take an active part on the forums and reply, they explain in detail what the upgrade does, how it does it and why it's been done !!! Everybody wins, everybody is happy !!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •