You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: How do you connect a mixbus to main LR ?

How do you connect a mixbus to main LR ?

Hi, I finally got around to trying to set up a sub group that I could place compression and EQ on.
    I sent all of my voice channels to Mixbus1 and 2 (they are linked)
    I was able to set up the compression on them ?
    Then I wanted to test sending this to my main LR outs. My Main LR are set to outs 1 &2
    To do this I selected a channel and turned the LR off on it and observed that I was still getting signal to the Linked Mixbus 1&2 I went to the home button on Mixbus 1&2 and set the LR to on with Mixbus 1 panned to the left and Mixbus 2 panned to the right. When I tested this I heard nothing.
    So I went to the routing page and reviewed the analog outputs I found that only main L and Main R were set to Outputs 1 &2 So I then ser Mixbus 1 to output 1 and Mixbus 2 to output 2. But they still did not put a signal out.

Does anybody have an idea about what I am doing wrong? The purpose of this exercise was to be able to apply compression and eq to a group of channels. So if there is another way I'm open to try.

John

Super Moderator
    Dear John,
    You want to keep the Main L and Main R signals assigned on the analog out page. You are correct that you also need to assign the Mix Buses to Main LR, which can be done from the "home" screen on each bus or by using the dedicated button in the MAIN BUS section of the channel strip. Since the buses are linked, you should only do this once on one of the buses, in fact if you did it twice (once on each bus) you would have turned it on and then turned it off again. When looking at the faders for these buses, are you seeing signal on the meters on the console surface? Did you pull up the faders for these buses? Let me know how you make out.
    Best,
    John DiNicola
    Manager, Channel Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Thanks John, I'll give it a try next time I go to the Community Centre where our mixer is kept. I think I actuall set it up as you suggest and the scene file apears to do so but I'll check allof the details.
    Thanks,

John

I checked out the configuration and Yes all worked as advertised Thanks John DiNicola. It is important to note that there is very little about using the LR setting in the documentation. Paul Vannatto clued me in to this setting in the first place. It is the RETURN back to Front of House speakers from a Bus or a Channel, but I'm not sure about a matrix. A very useful diagram would show different routes and at each stage what button or icon is set to make it happen. This is not clear for a novice who has not done analog mixing in the past.

John

Super Moderator
    Dear John,
    Glad to hear that you got it figured out. The Main LR button assigns whatever channel, bus, or matrix is selected to the Main LR bus which typically feeds your Front of House speakers. By default, input channels will be assigned to the Main Mix while Mix Buses and Matrix signals will not. This is because often buses are used to create other mixes or to send to FX units. When using Subgroups as you describe, one would typically send the mix buses containing the group to the Main LR and un-assign the individual channels. Otherwise, you will be sending the same signal to the Mains two separate times. Of course there are situations where this may be desirable, such as when using "Parallel Compression" techniques.

Signal Flow: On the X32, input channels feed buses, and buses feed matrix mixes:

Input channels = 32 Inputs, 8 AUX Inputs, 8 FX Returns (always found on the faders on the left side).
    Buses = 16 Mix Buses, Main LR, Main Mono/Center. To send a channel to the Main Mono/Center bus, it also has to be engaged for that channel using the MONO button just about the MAIN LR button.
    Matrix = 6 Mixes that can be created using the signals coming from Buses. Useful when using subgroups to quickly build different mixes for broadcast applications or speakers in extra / overflow rooms. You can also send your Main LR mix to a single Matrix to quickly create a Mono feed, which can be assigned to one of your 16 XLR outputs.

Hope it helps!
    Best,
    John DiNicola
    Manager, Channel Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER